Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 210999 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #1020 on: October 14, 2017, 08:24:58 am »

Some find the grind to be fun- I personally feel that expert is just a way of forcing you to take the most meta loadouts and strategies to survive.
Give it a month, play it again.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: October 14, 2017, 11:09:22 am »

Did you take out the goblin fortress and black monolith? Those are some last things to do before you end a game.

Expert isn't necessarily a grindfest. You actually can progress faster as you get more loot and exp due to the tougher spawns.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 14, 2017, 03:16:33 pm »

Did you take out the goblin fortress and black monolith? Those are some last things to do before you end a game.
Nope. Where can I find those?

Also, what about the False King meta plot? Does it conclude somehow?

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 14, 2017, 05:36:34 pm »

They're both deep in greenskin territory. The goblin fortress tends to be in a more central location in greenskin territory, and you can tell it apart from other goblin towns by the fact that you won't be able to see its garrison on the map.
The black monolith spawns very close to the edge of the map on the far side of greenskin territory. There is a little quest chain that reveals its position (buy an ancient map from some random event, get a historian bro to decipher it) but you can also just find it by walking around. You also won't be able to see its garrison, and it looks like a giant black stone so its pretty hard to miss.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 15, 2017, 04:40:43 pm »

So I've just read that towns can get destroyed and lots of people were suggesting the ability for towns to be repopulated. Did they ever add that change, or do I have to enable towns not being destroyed?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: October 15, 2017, 05:51:47 pm »

So I've just read that towns can get destroyed and lots of people were suggesting the ability for towns to be repopulated. Did they ever add that change, or do I have to enable towns not being destroyed?

It did not, and I would recommend turning it off if you're planning to go through more then one crisis in a savegame.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: October 19, 2017, 11:21:13 am »

The Lindwurm FreeLC is out today. You don't need to start a new game to encounter it, so you can test the mettle of your already existing mercenary bands if you wish.

I'm going to take the opportunity to start again fresh since I haven't played the game in a while.

Happy hunting!

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: October 25, 2017, 11:46:25 am »

So I'm running a special challenge in my recent game. My company is named Forsaken Sons and on their banner is depicted a weeping lady. Only castaways and lowlives are allowed on the roster. I started with beggars, refugees, cripples and vagabonds. Later on the company was joined by thieves, deserters, graverobbers, killers-on-the-run and poachers. Finally the backbone of the company is formed by raiders, bastards and disowned nobles.
Do any of you run similar challenges just for fun?

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: October 28, 2017, 01:14:28 pm »

So I killed the lindwurm

It was pretty underwhelming. Maybe I just got lucky with hits and the AI being dumb, but the damage it can dish out doesn't seem to be enough to compete with a decent merc company.
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: October 30, 2017, 10:23:31 am »

Some find the grind to be fun- I personally feel that expert is just a way of forcing you to take the most meta loadouts and strategies to survive.
Give it a month, play it again.

to spare me trawling through the whole thread, can anyone tell me what the current "meta loadouts and strategies" are? i don't think i've played more than 7 days into a campaign so far (ironman only).

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: October 30, 2017, 10:49:57 am »

Depends on who you ask, there's a lot of ways you can build in this game and its community isn't super big or centralized so there can be a lot of variation based on personal opinion.

That being said generally excepted good loadouts are as follows:
Early game - spam spears and shields, have a couple people with polearms in the back (pitchforks or pikes). Maybe mix in some flails.

Late game: mostly 2 handers, a few shield/tank bros, a varying amount of bowmen (depends on what enemies your fighting).

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: October 30, 2017, 11:01:49 am »

Considering how low the damage output of ranged units is, more then 3-4 seems like a bad idea - anything you can kill with a archer (except goblins) you can kill faster with a melee guy. Add to that how quick some units are (wolfriders,orcs) and how low there tankyness is...

It is useful at times to take out a enemy that threatens your guys, but a dude with a pike can do the same often.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: October 30, 2017, 11:09:06 am »

Bowmen actually have the 2nd highest single target damage in the game, beaten only by 1h cleavers with no shield.

That being said, I dont disagree with your statement as they suck vs armor and obviously suck in melee.

Though if you completely neglect archers you will have a very bad time vs certain enemies (like necros and shaman) so having a few good ranged units is important.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: October 30, 2017, 12:21:24 pm »

to spare me trawling through the whole thread, can anyone tell me what the current "meta loadouts and strategies" are? i don't think i've played more than 7 days into a campaign so far (ironman only).

Personally, I like the Bags and Belts + Quick Hands combo.
Sure it takes a lot of gear to get off the ground, but once it does, you'll always have the right weapon for the situation that unit is in at this exact moment, whether its a spear, axe, morningstar, or dagger. And backup shields are a thing you can do too.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: October 30, 2017, 12:24:24 pm »

Early game use spears as long as melee skill is around or lower than 55. You can eventually experiment with switching weapons according to enemies at hand. For example, you want to throw in some blunts against skeletons.
Most early mercs will not make it to the end of the game so I go for talents that help them survive and deal damage (fast adaptation, colossus, shield expert). If you happen to find a particularly talented merc early on, build him in earnest - always start with Student. All frontliners need Brawny and Battleforged. All archers need Bullseye, Dodge and Nimble (unless you want to build an advanced armored crossbowman/axeman). Everyone needs Recovery, but take that perk toward the end. Quick hands are great for swiss knife backlingers (aforementioned x-bow/polearm fighters). Rotation is great for shield bros, Footwork is a must for 2-h damage dealers and ranged bros. Berserk is good on 2-h DDs and longbowmen. Everything else is not set in stone. I like giving Steel brow to my most precious bros to lower the chances of them dying to a (un)lucky headshot.
As a rule of thumb, aim for at least 120 naked fatique on your main crew. Everything else goes to relevant attributes. You can somewhat neglect melee skill on shield bros. Aim for stronger ranged defence for your squishy back line and melee defence for your front.
Backline absolutely needs to dabble as axemen to break shields when you face noble houses armies, orc warriors and undead legions.

Roster-wise, I'd suggest to start with two ranged bros and eventually get to 4. Initially you'll have lots of shield/spear bros, but toward the end of the game you'll only need 3-4 of them (but super tough). I also employ a banner/sergeant guy to boost morale in certain missions. At least 6 2-h DDs in heavy armor (don't go 2-h on your good mercs until they get to lvl 8 and you can equip them with at least scale). At least 2 throwaway dudes to sacrifice in tight missions (sometimes you just can't avoid losing men, period). The rest I usually experiment with.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 98