Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211041 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #465 on: August 23, 2015, 02:41:53 am »

I'm enjoying the update, but I can't help but think the goblin archers do too much damage. If poison caused damage that carries on like bleeding and that would be the main damage element, I think it would be fine. Right now assailants the size of children cause as much damage as a grown man per shot from smaller bows than those used by humans. That is a little weird. Maybe change the bows to crossbows or the damage to rely more on poison - and thus ineffective against heavy armor - or the like?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 23, 2015, 03:00:53 am »

Having seen the bows in question, it's not that impossible given they're using. Oh, and if you can, grab the goblin pikes, they're VERY effective for being so easy on fatigue.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 23, 2015, 07:49:30 am »

Goblins are fairly hard to deal with - even with a hound on every person. There high dodge + fair hp make them hard to kill for low level units/hounds. I'd prefer to fight a thug/raider then them, oh lord. They are not squishy enough. IMO they should take double moral damage from any hit/death, since not even that angle seems to work well so far. Ah well, still good content.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 23, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »

Eh, goblins seem balanced enough, just treat them like orcs. AKA don't go up against them until you have better equipment and troops.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 26, 2015, 10:31:26 am »

Eh, goblins seem balanced enough, just treat them like orcs. AKA don't go up against them until you have better equipment and troops.
I find it a bit weird that you have to consider children sized goblins as strong as orcs. I understand that you need better equipment to fight them, but individually they seem a bit strong. I'd rather they be a bit more numerous (consistently) and a bit weaker.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 26, 2015, 05:23:11 pm »

Honestly, the only problem there I see is goblins being able to shieldbash your brothers back.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 04, 2015, 07:03:25 pm »

I find it a bit weird that you have to consider children sized goblins as strong as orcs. I understand that you need better equipment to fight them, but individually they seem a bit strong. I'd rather they be a bit more numerous (consistently) and a bit weaker.

Agreed.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 04, 2015, 08:07:17 pm »

Are they actually child-sized?  Is that mentioned?  It seems more likely that they're just orks, but there's a typo that names them as goblins.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #473 on: September 07, 2015, 02:35:32 am »

On a quick sidenote on Goblins and Orcs:
A Goblin Skirmisher has 45 Hitpoints while a young Orc has 120 and an Orc Warrioir has 200. The Skirmisher is also the Goblins strongest melee unit. Also, All Orc Units have a "brute force" perk giving them a % damage increase.
Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 10, 2015, 06:32:33 pm »

I finally picked up this game. I like it alright but have some issues. First I find it really hard to tell my guys apart. It would be awesome if we could assign guys a color scheme or something similar to how Xcom does it.

Secondly a lack of time compression on the world map is a killer.

Finally, it would be really nice to have some example builds included in the game.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #475 on: September 15, 2015, 10:48:53 am »

I finally picked up this game. I like it alright but have some issues. First I find it really hard to tell my guys apart. It would be awesome if we could assign guys a color scheme or something similar to how Xcom does it.

Yeah, I've mentioned it once or twice before. Especially after you kit them all out with some nice equipment, it can get really hard to distinguish them. Honestly, this is the kind of game where you need to become attached to your peeps to enjoy the game to its fullest. Right now I have a really hard time doing that, and that's a bummer.

Just adding their names on top of their icon, or a tooltip with their name on mouseover would be immensely helpful!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 15, 2015, 12:18:23 pm »

And of course combat decorations (medals...both auto granted and/or player granted), detailed records, etc...though I know details/features like this are not the current focus understandably

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 15, 2015, 05:20:14 pm »

Last patch fixed the goblins nicly and it's a joy to play. Wish there was more special equipment with stranger stats (i. e. negative defence, more offence bonus). Currently rocking a army of crossbows with the goblin-overseer crossbows and a melee row in heavy armor, heather shields (better melee defence), tanky perks and very little stamina.

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #478 on: September 21, 2015, 07:04:05 am »

Hey guys, new blog post coming up on the Worldmap rework.
For all who are a bit concerned with the contracts, the difficulty and the game progression this will be very interesting as the whole metagame will change a lot. So here is the first dev blog on the issue:

Dev Blog #52: Worldmap Rework

Time has come for the biggest overhaul yet: an extensive rework of the worldmap both in terms of visuals and gameplay. Read on to learn about our overall plans and get a first glance at what changes you can expect on the look and feel of the map you’re playing on.

The Plan

While tactical combat progressed nicely over the past months, the worldmap hasn’t been touched much and many elements are still what we consider placeholders or proof-of-concept pieces, such as how contracts work. This worldmap rework will change how the game is played quite substantially, and because of the many changes and additions we’re intending to do, it’ll take us several months to complete. Yes, that’s several months until the next major update, unfortunately, but it’ll be worth it. Here is a shortlist of what we want to achieve with the new and improved worldmap part of the game;

A new look and feel of the worldmap as an actual continent, larger than the current map, with more diverse climatic regions and unique landmarks.
Settlements, such as villages and cities, that feel unique across the world and are recognizable for their different looks and services they offer. This includes taverns to rest at and ports for fast travel.
Different human factions that may work against each other, offering a diverse set of contracts depending on their individual strategy.
Different non-human factions such as individual orc tribes that differ from one another and may fight each other.
A new modular system for contracts that allows for more variety and player interaction. Reputation will be introduced as a measurement for progress.
Over the coming months we’ll cover each of these points in detail as we work on it, so you’ll have a pretty good idea about what will change exactly. To kick things off, this week we’ll give you a preview on the new worldmap generation, the thing we’re working on right now.

Worldmap Generation

With the rework one of our main goals is to both create a reasonable and believable world while still keeping up replayability by making it very different each time.

To give the player a sense of the real world we decided to stick to some rules that apply to central Europe and North America. Heading north will lead the player into colder and more harsh climates while moving south will generally result in hotter and more dry regions. Additionally, we wanted the world to have somewhat realistic coastlines with arms reaching inland and smaller islands lying somewhat off the coast.

Take a look at the screenshots below to see a first preview of the new worldmap using placeholder visuals for different regions. The strong colors are just for differentiating the regions better during development.

Regarding the landmass itself and especially mountain ridges we want to create natural barriers for the player to bypass. By splitting up the continent in different regions through the placement of obstructive terrain we effectively increase the perceived map size for the player while keeping the total tile amount reasonable.

As you can judge from the screenshots you will have quite different outcomes each time you generate a new map. Still, each map is based on the same algorithm and will adhere to the same general rules.

Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 21, 2015, 07:11:55 am »

Suggestion: climate should have an effect on fatigue, combined with the armor worn. Wearing heavy armor in a scorching desert should exhaust you quicker. Likewise, wearing too light clothing (heavy armor should be assumed to contain clothing) should freeze your balls off in a cold climate. Hard to hold blades when your fingers are numb.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 98