Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 98

Author Topic: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix  (Read 211007 times)

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Brothers - a turn based strategy RPG mix
« Reply #450 on: August 19, 2015, 02:45:37 am »

Possibly add buffs as they reach different levels? So a level 1 Witch Hunter is what we have now, a level 3 has a bonus against unnatural enemies. And so on up the levels.

That would eliminate the hard choices on whether to take the profession-specific trait or a general trait, though.
It would add another sense of progression however.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
« Reply #451 on: August 19, 2015, 02:51:25 am »

We have over 50 different backgrounds in the game now so making a perk tree for each will get a bit out of hand ;)

However, we already have a plan for the perk system and it will see some pretty big changes giving the player much more choices and freedom on level up. However, it will take a while until we get there as other issues are more pressing right now!
Battle Brothers - A turn based strategy RPG
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 19, 2015, 04:04:23 am »

You wouldn't really need perk system for every background though; most criminal backgrounds could be similar etc, with the first trait - the background bonus itself - differentiating them. As it stands though, the lifetime of experience the brother has is quite meaningless in the game mechanically, it is something that would be nice to see presented better.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 19, 2015, 04:32:20 am »

Why not just get it for free?

Anyway, that would at least give me a tiny reason not to purge all the high level but low stat guys from my brothers, since in the end unless you have a army of soldiers, bastards and nobles, ya not maxing things out.
Now if my high level historian would give my group +10 xp gain or something, that would be at least something to consider or the juggler hands out a +5 resolve to everyone, that would work.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 19, 2015, 04:56:07 am »

I was thinking about in the future some guys giving you strategic benefits, while not being that good in battle. Like bonus to healing wounds, getting better prices when buying stuff, increased reputation and bonus X in cities. So that would give you a reason to keep some guys even if they were not optimal battle-wise, because they benefit your company as a whole. Since the units are so small, it makes sense that even support personnel would be required to fight.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 19, 2015, 07:41:22 am »

Why not just get it for free?

Anyway, that would at least give me a tiny reason not to purge all the high level but low stat guys from my brothers, since in the end unless you have a army of soldiers, bastards and nobles, ya not maxing things out.
Now if my high level historian would give my group +10 xp gain or something, that would be at least something to consider or the juggler hands out a +5 resolve to everyone, that would work.

That sounds rather dull. The whole fun of this game is taking a rag-tag bunch of scoundrels and dropping them into a sink-or-swim situation and seeing how far they get. I would never get rid of Torkel the Survivor -- a high level refugee who witnessed the death of his entire company once -- just to get a little +10 to a few stats. But I suppose the siren call to min/max is strong.

As far as profession bonuses go there are in the game somewhat already through events; I believe the devs said they would expand on that.  I had a bard raise morale by playing a silly tune. Luckily these can also be bad events: the bard also sang a song about Widerich the deserter who ran away from battle. This angered Widerich who got all pissy about it for a few days so I named him Widerich the Grumpy. A few hours later an orc cut Widerich's head off so the story has a happy ending.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 19, 2015, 07:58:17 am »

The thing you said I never do, I do. In the post you quoted.

Fluff vs mechanics. Mechanics give little reason to support fluff.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 19, 2015, 08:12:39 am »

Didn't I see this game in DC at the Indie Arcade thing?

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 19, 2015, 08:22:41 am »

hehe not really possible as we are based in Germany and never visited a show with the game : )
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 19, 2015, 08:49:35 am »

hehe not really possible as we are based in Germany and never visited a show with the game : )

My mistake. There's a strategy game in development that uses the exact same icons to represent people. Caught my attention.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 19, 2015, 09:09:25 am »

I guess similar but not same, since BB has unique art assets (http://battlebrothersgame.com/forums/topic/pauls-art-corner/)

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 19, 2015, 09:20:44 am »

Could you let me in on which game that is?

Only other game i know of is unity of command:
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

Jaysen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 21, 2015, 10:19:01 am »

We just released the big "Goblin Update"!

‘Goblin Update’ Release Notes and Changelog

We’re thrilled to announce that we just released the ‘Goblin Update’ to Steam! After reading about all the additions we made to the game for the past weeks, you can now finally dive into the game and experience them yourselves.

The changes and additions go way beyond adding Goblins. If you haven’t done so already, you can read up on many of the bigger changes in our dedicated posts linked below. Also check out the extensive changelog at the bottom for an overview of all the new features, balancing changes and fixes.

Bandit Armors and Worn Armors
Wardogs, Direct Damage Mechanic and Visual Makeover
Throwing Weapons and Armor Rework
Character Backgrounds, Companions and Helmet Rework
Orc Visual Rework
All about the Goblin Faction
Please note that due to the many changes with the update, your old saves won't load anymore and you'll have to start a new campaign.

Enjoy!

Changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/size]
Dev Blog
Twitter
Facebook

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 21, 2015, 10:39:53 am »

Changed enemies killed by allies (militia etc) to no longer drop loot for the player.
That did need fixing, though I'm fairly sure I'll die even sooner now :D
Anyway, looking forward to the goblins this weekend, great job!
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 21, 2015, 06:05:33 pm »

The new look is great.
Fact
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 98