Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Game Over! Town win!  (Read 77972 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1!
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2014, 05:10:52 pm »

Now there is something that doesn't add up about your last statement. If those four are suspects of bandwagoning Lard, why did you exclude TDS, who also voted for him?
Oh, that's one I missed, considering I was going to list TDS, Tiruin, and myself as being the ones who made the vote. While I would expect Persus to be more thorough, I still can't really find anything to imply that it wasn't just an oversight.
Well, I say that. They only really have interacted once, and it was TDS making a pressure vote on a question that I wouldn't think required it, then Persus answered and TDS unvoted and never followed up any more questions for Persus. The possibility of it being staged to make them look less like a team is slim, but there nontheless.

As for the extension, I don't think it's necessary. We have over 40 hours to reach a conclusion, and the problems are certain people not communicating enough, rather than one where it can be solved with more time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2014, 05:33:59 pm »

Now there is something that doesn't add up about your last statement. If those four are suspects of bandwagoning Lard, why did you exclude TDS, who also voted for him?
Oh, that's one I missed, considering I was going to list TDS, Tiruin, and myself as being the ones who made the vote. While I would expect Persus to be more thorough, I still can't really find anything to imply that it wasn't just an oversight.
Well, I say that. They only really have interacted once, and it was TDS making a pressure vote on a question that I wouldn't think required it, then Persus answered and TDS unvoted and never followed up any more questions for Persus. The possibility of it being staged to make them look less like a team is slim, but there nontheless.

As for the extension, I don't think it's necessary. We have over 40 hours to reach a conclusion, and the problems are certain people not communicating enough, rather than one where it can be solved with more time.

Persus is definitely acting odd.

Here are my questions to Persus13 (partly based on what has been said):

1. Why do you consider Solymr's FoS worse than the three other people who have actually voted? Sure, he doesn't have a reason to vote, but he never voted in the first place. FoSing is for pointing out who you think might be scum. It's still odd, of course, but it's only one small thing - not really enough to make him likely scum unless more evidence turns up.

2. How is LARD considered only slightly scummy for what he has done while Darkpaladin is considered a "larger scum lead" for simply being new and lurking?

3. Why exactly do you think that LARD is not scum? You have stated that it's Day 1, but what does that have to do with it?

4. Most importantly, you have stated that you want to extend due to a lack of consensus. However, this makes no sense when you see that you call the LARD votes a "dogpile". When you look at that vote count, it's 3 votes for LARD and one vote on DP109 and you each (but those might be pressure votes). I don't see how an extend will change the situation very much; mind clarifying?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2014, 05:44:55 pm »

Persus is definitely acting odd.
Actually, I was saying that you were acting odd.
Why did you think that:
Persus13: If you were scum, would you target people who suspected you or people who didn't suspect you first?
Was important enough for a vote? Considering that you removed it as soon as Persus answered with no further questions, it seems as though you were giving him an easy time of it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2014, 05:54:39 pm »

Why did you think that:
Persus13: If you were scum, would you target people who suspected you or people who didn't suspect you first?
Was important enough for a vote? Considering that you removed it as soon as Persus answered with no further questions, it seems as though you were giving him an easy time of it.

It's called an RVS vote. It was removed once he answered, since there wasn't much of a point in keeping it there past the point that I started scumhunting.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2014, 05:57:20 pm »

Graknorke: What do you believe is odd about the behavior of TDS?
TDS: What do you believe is odd about the behavior of Persus?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2014, 06:02:30 pm »

4maskwolf
MastahCheese: Who do you think would be the most dangerous player if they were scum of the players playing?  Why?
The ICs. They would know what they are doing. If you're meaning non-ICs, then I don't really know, I don't know enough about people to say.

Graknorke
Persus13 - This one's harder. Since he's an IC, I would expect Persus to be more active, and generally asking better questions than everyone else. Still though, I can't draw conclusions based on 'well of course they would look like that because they're better informed than me'. So I'll just have to accept that I know nothing and abstain from having an opinion.
Tiruin - Similarly, and opinion I claimed would be completely uneducated. I can't even say that she's polite, because scum can (and should) be polite too.
Don't abstain from having an opinion.
Maybe abstain was a poor word. Point is that I am not and probably will not be informed enough to form a valid opinion. Anything I try to come up with you'll probably just chew me out for.
Why do you say this? If you afraid of being "chewed out" because it will make you feel like you're doing something wrong, well then you need to realize that this is a BM, the whole point is learning, and avoiding doing something will only hinder your opportunities to learn.
The only other reason to avoid it would be that you're afraid of having pressure applied to you, which is something that town shouldn't care about.

You realize that we don't really have any limits on extensions, right?
If you're convinced that someone is scum, then I doubt more time will make you start to doubt that.
Why are you opposed to an extend?

Actually, now that I think about it, you seem to be active slightly... how do I put it.
Subtle. You keep hinting at things without really putting weight in your words. You state why you don't want an extension, but you don't actually oppose one, you mention that you don't want to form "invalid" opinions, and provide an excuse that isn't really any better.
Not to mention the questions that would really only serve to benefit scum through causing chaos and distrust and WIFOM.
You're new, Graknorke, but something is off about you beyond that.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »

Ah, the CheeseMeister is back.

Mastahcheese: Do you believe that either of the IC's is possibly scum, looking at the day so far.
Also, where's the tunnel vision that characterized you in the last BM?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2014, 06:21:10 pm »

TDS: What do you believe is odd about the behavior of Persus?

I noted it in my post above, but in case it wasn't clear:

-Odd priorities for who/what is scummy and who isn't (twice)
-Wanting an extend because people are undecided on their lynch vote and then mentioning that lots of people are trying to lynch LARD, all in the same post

I'm leaning towards Grak being town right now, but I want to see his response to Mastahcheese's comments. It could just be Grak being new, or it could be a scumtell.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2014, 06:31:51 pm »

It was the thing I just mentioned about the interaction between Persus13 and TDS, but apparently that's a normal thing. It seems kind of pointless to me, but if that's what's standard then eh.

Graknorke
Persus13 - This one's harder. Since he's an IC, I would expect Persus to be more active, and generally asking better questions than everyone else. Still though, I can't draw conclusions based on 'well of course they would look like that because they're better informed than me'. So I'll just have to accept that I know nothing and abstain from having an opinion.
Tiruin - Similarly, and opinion I claimed would be completely uneducated. I can't even say that she's polite, because scum can (and should) be polite too.
Maybe abstain was a poor word. Point is that I am not and probably will not be informed enough to form a valid opinion. Anything I try to come up with you'll probably just chew me out for.
Why do you say this? If you afraid of being "chewed out" because it will make you feel like you're doing something wrong, well then you need to realize that this is a BM, the whole point is learning, and avoiding doing something will only hinder your opportunities to learn.
The only other reason to avoid it would be that you're afraid of having pressure applied to you, which is something that town shouldn't care about
No, it's not for that. It's because it would be a waste of time. There's not much I could say that you couldn't just reply to with, "Your conclusions are poorly-formed and invalid." or something to that effect. Basically, there's no way that I could say anything about you that you don't like.

If you're convinced that someone is scum, then I doubt more time will make you start to doubt that.
I'm not opposed, I just don't think we need one. Not everything is a pair of extremes, only being able to want or detest an extension.

Not to mention the questions that would really only serve to benefit scum through causing chaos and distrust and WIFOM.
Okay great. Maybe if you could express it in a way that gives more focus we could actually get a discussion going. Until then all we have is your vague accusations of 'off'ness.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2014, 06:32:28 pm »

Extend because argh my recent days are not good post coming up sorry

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2014, 07:29:09 pm »

4maskwolf
Mastahcheese: Do you believe that either of the IC's is possibly scum, looking at the day so far.
Also, where's the tunnel vision that characterized you in the last BM?
Unsure. Tiruin has been too busy as of late to post enough for me to get a read, and I'm unsure on Persus. I've been closely following TDS's statements on Persus with interest, though, he makes some good arguments.
(Am I being characterized by tunnel vision now? This is like the second time today.)
The reason I'm not tunneling anyone right now is that I don't feel like I have something to go off of yet, I'm still trying to gauge everything before drawing a target.

Graknorke
It was the thing I just mentioned about the interaction between Persus13 and TDS, but apparently that's a normal thing. It seems kind of pointless to me, but if that's what's standard then eh.
You seem very easy to change your opinions of something, and very.. non-caring about it. Why do you not feel more of an investment toward your suspicions?

Graknorke
The only other reason to avoid it would be that you're afraid of having pressure applied to you, which is something that town shouldn't care about
No, it's not for that. It's because it would be a waste of time. There's not much I could say that you couldn't just reply to with, "Your conclusions are poorly-formed and invalid." or something to that effect. Basically, there's no way that I could say anything about you that you don't like.
"Waste of time"? Nothing is a waste of time in this game. Never and I mean NEVER assume that you know what someone's answer will be before posting.
(Bolded bit) Why do you care about what I do or don't like? And what I do/don't like is irrelevant when the main part of this was pertaining to Persus. Now you're admitting to not saying something out of a fear of someone's reply!

I'm not opposed, I just don't think we need one. Not everything is a pair of extremes, only being able to want or detest an extension.
You're right, it isn't just extremes, but sitting on fences is a common scum practice.

Okay great. Maybe if you could express it in a way that gives more focus we could actually get a discussion going. Until then all we have is your vague accusations of 'off'ness.
And now you're starting to get passive-aggressive. And going off of a "vague accusation" is a very common reason to start pressuring someone, for your information. And if you want more focus, Graknorke, then tell me why I shouldn't believe you to be scum? Or for that matter, why you are once again questioning my methods of scum-hunting like you did here? I'm starting to doubt that excuse you gave to that.
And actually, now that I went back through the thread to find that, maybe you'd like to answer this, as well?

So I take it from your answers that you'd dislike being scum, for the reason that you'd be bad at it? If you had to be scum, what do you think you'd find most interesting about it?
Not necessarily that I'd be bad at it. I've made a bunch of slip ups already without the added pressure of having to be an antagonist. But the extra pressure certainly wouldn't help.
Would you care to show us these "slip-ups" that you are so aware of? Or perhaps why you are loathe to have pressure applied to you?
The Derail Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2014, 08:08:14 pm »

You're right, it isn't just extremes, but sitting on fences is a common scum practice.
There's a difference between sitting on a fence and just not wanting change. I just wanted to acknowledge the extend request, while also saying that I didn't support it. Perhaps you're reading too much into it.

Graknorke
"Waste of time"? Nothing is a waste of time in this game. Never and I mean NEVER assume that you know what someone's answer will be before posting.
(Bolded bit) Why do you care about what I do or don't like? And what I do/don't like is irrelevant when the main part of this was pertaining to Persus. Now you're admitting to not saying something out of a fear of someone's reply!
Again, not fear. You can give all of the faux-motivational speeches you want, but saying something is well and truly useless if nobody listens. I don't see how you could argue otherwise.

Graknorke
You seem very easy to change your opinions of something, and very.. non-caring about it. Why do you not feel more of an investment toward your suspicions?
You're using that as an example? Because it wasn't founded on much to begin with. It was just musing about a possibility that got easily explained away by my lack of understanding of the standard course a game takes. Do you have a problem with people being wrong?

And now you're starting to get passive-aggressive. And going off of a "vague accusation" is a very common reason to start pressuring someone, for your information. And if you want more focus, Graknorke, then tell me why I shouldn't believe you to be scum? Or for that matter, why you are once again questioning my methods of scum-hunting like you did here? I'm starting to doubt that excuse you gave to that.
That... is not scumhunting. That's just you telling us your feelings.
And your request is both ridiculous and nearly impossible. Everything I've posted is evidence that I'm not scum, considering that I've been asking and answering questions in the hopes of uncovering something scummy from someone. You can argue about the quality of them certainly, but you can't say I haven't been trying. Also, there's a reason why we have scumhunting rather than townproving. The burden of proof is on you to find something scummy on me, rather than on me to show you all of the non-scummy things I've done.

So I take it from your answers that you'd dislike being scum, for the reason that you'd be bad at it? If you had to be scum, what do you think you'd find most interesting about it?
Not necessarily that I'd be bad at it. I've made a bunch of slip ups already without the added pressure of having to be an antagonist. But the extra pressure certainly wouldn't help.
Would you care to show us these "slip-ups" that you are so aware of? Or perhaps why you are loathe to have pressure applied to you?
Oh come now, I'd hope you would remember. After all, you're the one who pointed it out.
[2] Well at least now there is an attempt. I'm sorry, what is this "gaoler"? Asking questions regarding (what I assume to be a role) that aren't even in the game seem to be far less effective at finding scum, than my methods, which you are doubting. And when you are protected, you don't know that you are protected. You are completely unaware of such an event.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 02, 2014, 08:39:14 pm »

There's a difference between sitting on a fence and just not wanting change. I just wanted to acknowledge the extend request, while also saying that I didn't support it. Perhaps you're reading too much into it.
Ok, I was inclined to agree with you until the "Perhaps you're reading too much into it" bit. Adding that part contributed absolutely nothing aside from causing doubt. That is most certainly a scum tactic.

Again, not fear. You can give all of the faux-motivational speeches you want, but saying something is well and truly useless if nobody listens. I don't see how you could argue otherwise.
How in the hell would you know that nobody would listen if you won't post it! That flies straight in the face of what you said earlier about not wanting to post it out of not wanting to be chewed out!
And that was not some "faux-motivational speech", that's called advice, it's what you're here to receive, since you're in a BM. I don't care if I'm not an IC, I was trying to help. The fact that you're refusing that is just bad from a player perspective.
And why did you not answer my question?

You're using that as an example? Because it wasn't founded on much to begin with. It was just musing about a possibility that got easily explained away by my lack of understanding of the standard course a game takes. Do you have a problem with people being wrong?
Because you're taking the attitude of someone who simply doesn't care about the things they perceive. Think about what you did from this perspective.
Scum: "That looks like something I could use to get someone accused with! I'll go after that."
Other player: "Actually that's something very common."
Scum: "Oh, well I better back off of this and act never it never happened to save face."
What you're trying to do is brush it off and sweep it under the rug, not explain that what you're trying to do is find scum, and was simply unaware of what constitutes scummy behavior. Yes, there is a difference. If you can't see that then you aren't looking as hard at it as you should be.
And no, I don't have a problem with people being wrong. If people were never wrong, they would never learn. And that's what this is for.
And why didn't you answer my question this time, either?

That... is not scumhunting. That's just you telling us your feelings.
And your request is both ridiculous and nearly impossible. Everything I've posted is evidence that I'm not scum, considering that I've been asking and answering questions in the hopes of uncovering something scummy from someone. You can argue about the quality of them certainly, but you can't say I haven't been trying. Also, there's a reason why we have scumhunting rather than townproving. The burden of proof is on you to find something scummy on me, rather than on me to show you all of the non-scummy things I've done.
I'm sorry, how is what I said in any way just "telling you my feelings?" I never included my feeling into that in any way. What you're doing is called "deflection" which is trying to change the topic to something else entirely, probably in an attempt to incriminate me, in this case.
"And your request is both ridiculous and nearly impossible." Um, no, it's not. People have done this many times before, and very well, in many cases. Telling someone else that it "isn't your job" to prove their innocence, and blaming the other person, telling them to find the proof, is something that I've never heard from anyone that isn't town. Accusing the accuser is called OMGUS, whether a vote is attached or not.

Oh come now, I'd hope you would remember. After all, you're the one who pointed it out.
[2] Well at least now there is an attempt. I'm sorry, what is this "gaoler"? Asking questions regarding (what I assume to be a role) that aren't even in the game seem to be far less effective at finding scum, than my methods, which you are doubting. And when you are protected, you don't know that you are protected. You are completely unaware of such an event.
So your "slip up" in this case is simply a clerical error, or misunderstanding of the rules? That's not a "slip up" by Mafia terms, and you should know that.
And why did you, for the third time now in this post alone, not answer my question? In case you missed it, it was right after the one you did answer. "Or perhaps why you are loathe to have pressure applied to you?" <- Right here.
The Derail Thread

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2014, 08:42:09 pm »

Yeah sorry about not being active. I've got a first aid course this weekend and I wasn't expecting people to be so active on weekends.
I wish I could pressure-vote LARD a second time.

Come on LARD, what's keeping you? You promised that you'd at least OMGUS me, you really need to do something. You were active before.
Kind of the same with darkpaladin too. We could really do with more input from you.

So, it seems like LARD is way out ahead in terms of vote count.
Everyone, how comfortable do you feel with a lynch at this point?
I mean, I think LARD is scum, but at the same time it feels like he hasn't really responded properly to any accusations. I know that it's his fault for being slow or whatever, but I'd kind of like to see what he has to say. Maybe it could clear some things up, at least. 55 hours to go for that.

Sorry about the promise to OMGUS you, I looked over your posts and it doesn't look like you're scum to me.  Originally I had thought you were because you jumped on me so quickly. Sorry about my rash promise to come after you, it was just a defensive measure.

Now I hope to put a bit of a stop to the dogpile that has arisen on me.  Bear with me as I won't quote your exact words, but I'll try to get the gist of the accusations. I can use quotes, but it just confuses me. If you would like specifics, ask.

As to the strongest case against me, that of voting 4maskwolf and then unvoting him under slight pressure, That was always a scumhunt vote and he passed, so when I realized we were past the random accusation and vote stages, I removed my vote from him. I hope that is reasonable. 
My defensiveness. Sorry about that. The way I generally play requires one to deal with other peoples accusations against you before you can successfully bet your voice heard. My defensiveness therefore was not panicked, but merely my normal response to accusations.

Persus
Ignoring the fact that you didn't answer my question and that I didn't actually vote for Lard, I'll explain my reasons for suspecting him.
I'm only going to refer to the most recent ones since it's getting late here.
Here in this post I asked him for an explanation and still hasn't answered, even when he posted later.
I may give him a pass on this if he answers later.

In that same post he unvotes wolf immediately after being pointed out that he's pushing him on a weak case. There is also his worrying about looking town, and this response in which he gets pretty defensive and contradicts himself on the ambiguous answers matter.

Sorry Solymr, I couldn't find the question to which you were referring. That link led me to my post.  But what I do find odd is a reference to a bandwagon without you being suspicious of the other bandwagoners, only of the guy who accused others of bandwagoning. You are defensive and supportive of a dogpile, without joining it yourself, why?
In addition, tell me what you think of Tiruin

I was considering voting for Graknorke, as he is jumping on me for accusing 4mask,
If I am scum and somebody is attacking me, I probably will attack them. It looks suspicious and I generally look suspicious when I play these games.
Okay, I'm starting to appreciate those gamestarter questions from earlier on.
So LARD, you're explicitly avoiding an action you have said would make you look suspicious? That's pretty scummy in itself.
And your reason was way off anyway. I didn't jump on you for accusing 4mask, it was for holding two differing viewpoints. And then you clarified your answer, but you still seem to be making a suspiciously specific conclusion as to why I was pressuring you, even though I stated otherwise. It's almost like you think I think you have something against 4mask. Care to explain why?
When I said I would attack them, I meant that if I was mafia I would night-kill them because due to the heavy suspicion on me, I could pass it off as the mafia trying to put suspicion where it was easiest.
No, I just wanted to know why you jumped at me so early, and I thought that my accusation of 4mask was the likely reason. It was my habitual defensiveness again

Usually, when I play mafia in person, practice is to call one person out as being mafia and go from there.  That's all I was doing. I guess it also sheds some light on my mafia history.

The bandwagon that has started on me is a perfect guise for the mafia to fly under the radar. I would like to know who people think started it and why. This isn't just me being defensive, but this seems to be one of the bigger "events" in the game so far and I would like to know how it came to be. My best guesses are that Tiruin is the perpetrator as she is an IC and has influence, even with her unsupported opinions.  I'm also aware that this isn't too big of a dogpile and I will keep struggling until the end!

As for my reads,
Lard: poor, misunderstood, sad, pathetic lump at the bottom of dogpile. (just kidding)
Tiruin: Quite scummy. Voted me on first post with very little explanation. Perhaps that means she is dropping hints in order not to destroy us too bad, maybe she is busy and under strain, or maybe just a pressure vote. Pressure vote seems unlikely do to lack of reasons.
Graknorke: I don't have a very good read on him because he's more experienced, seems to be legitimately fishing very hard for information though. I'm sorry about you needing to pressure me. town lean, and I'm not just saying that to get you on my side.
TDS:
Solymr You are not fishing very hard for information, seem unacceptably ambiguous,
LARD: pretty much everything he says points to scum.
, and above reasons.
TheDarkStar: voted with not that much reasoning other than what other people had said. Med scum lean.

As for the rest of you, who seem like you know what you're doing. I don't know how you keep track of things in this mess of quote pyramids, so good for you.

Sorry for the huge post
Finally I would like to ask for an Extend because I will be away all day tomorrow, and I don't want to miss my own lynching.
Ah yes, my name Here
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 02, 2014, 08:50:44 pm »

Lard: I want a response to this still:

If we have left the random vote stage then I will unvote 4maskwolf because it was a pressure vote all along. I think it valuable to a townsperson to make their target think that a pressure vote is a lynch vote, because it adds more pressure. The mountain was a molehill the whole time, it is true. I was merely trying to add pressure with the most aggressive means possible.  Sorry if that added confusion to the rest of you.

I have to go now, but I'll tell you now that Graknorke is my next target.

To clarify why I think you are scummy:

1. You claim that your vote was not intended as a lynch despite earlier evidence. This seems to be there more as a cover-up of a mistake.

2. Town doesn't find targets based on randomly choosing. If someone behaves scummily, hunt them down for it. Town doesn't want random people dead, they want specific people (the people they think are scum) dead. Your choice seems random, especially since you did not back it up at all. You had an excuse, but I expect a good reason once you can post again.

I'm tempted to change my vote off you because of things that have been happening, but I want to see your response to my comments first.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31