Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Game Over! Town win!  (Read 78036 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1!
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2014, 07:41:28 pm »

*how comfortable do you feel with a lynch vote.
Nice job me, catch the mistake immediately after posting. Though to my understanding editing posts is frowned upon in Mafia games.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2014, 08:01:37 pm »

Everyone, how comfortable do you feel with a lynch at this point?
I mean, I think LARD is scum, but at the same time it feels like he hasn't really responded properly to any accusations. I know that it's his fault for being slow or whatever, but I'd kind of like to see what he has to say. Maybe it could clear some things up, at least. 55 hours to go for that.

I've already voted for him. Also, I'd think that not really responding makes him even scummier, since it shows an unwillingness to explain things that a townie would have no problem doing.

And another question for Everyone: Ignoring how scummy any individual is, who do you think is likely to be NKd today?
I have my own thoughts but I suppose it would ruin a question like this if I gave an answer to this question right underneath it.

My guesses (not necessarily in order):

Me (sadly) - Active and scumhunting
Persus13 - IC
Tiruin - IC, but hasn't done as much as Persus13
Graknorke - Active and seems like hge knows what he's doing
Everyone else probably has a low chance, but that could change. Also, there are no guarantees that anyone in the list is not scum (except in the person's own knowledge).

And yes, you should only "edit" posts in Mafia games with quotes (sometimes called EBWOP, or Edit By Way Of Post).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2014, 10:02:43 pm »

Well, TDS, I'm back to take up some of the burden of Scumhunting:
Granorke: Glad you're so active in the game!  To answer your questions: I'm hesitant to kill-vote somone day 1, but it has to be done or no information is gained.  I think that, unfortunately, it is likely to be you or TDS, because the scum will try and eliminate active players first.  I'd lean towards TDS just because he is more experienced at this and, while you are playing excellently, has an advantage that you don't have.
Also, this cracked me up when I read it:
I didn't mean to absolutely ignore lurkers, but they shouldn't be lynched solely for lurking either. Perhaps if they continue to act in an uncooperative manner after being called out on it (Like Org in BM 1). Then it becomes a problem and they are working against the interests of the town.
Or, you know, Org in every game he played.
Now:
TDS: I'd like to hear your opinions on the present state of the vote.  Do you believe that LARD is actually scum, or could he just be a new townie who overextended in an attack?
Persus13: Care to give us a little more analysis of the game so far?  What are your reads on various people?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2014, 11:05:47 pm »

Graknorke
[1] Everyone, how comfortable do you feel with a lynch at this point?
I mean, I think LARD is scum, but at the same time it feels like he hasn't really responded properly to any accusations. I know that it's his fault for being slow or whatever, but I'd kind of like to see what he has to say. Maybe it could clear some things up, at least. 55 hours to go for that.

And another question for [2] Everyone: Ignoring how scummy any individual is, who do you think is likely to be NKd today?
I have my own thoughts but I suppose it would ruin a question like this if I gave an answer to this question right underneath it.
[1] Lynching is the only weapon we have to eliminate scum. I'm always comfortable with it.
If you mean specifically on LARD, then yeah, I'm ok with that, he's not acting right, by any means.
[2] TheDarkStar because he always dies Probably --actually, I'm not going to answer that. Why are you asking this question? A question like that would be very benefitting to scum.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2014, 07:17:03 am »

A question like that would be very benefitting to scum.
In what way would it benefit scum? By telling them what people expect to happen? I don't see how that would be helpful.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2014, 10:52:52 am »

In what way would it benefit scum? By telling them what people expect to happen? I don't see how that would be helpful.
I would give them an idea of who expected who to be NK'd and allow them to wreak havoc with expectations to watch the results.  At least, I think that's how it works.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:11 am »

I would give them an idea of who expected who to be NK'd and allow them to wreak havoc with expectations to watch the results.  At least, I think that's how it works.
I'm not sure about that. From your answer at least it's pretty similar to mine, because people expect the most aggressive or competent townies to be targeted. Because that would be the best decision they could make. Worst case, they go against what we expect and kill a sub-optimal target. That just leaves town in a better position.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2014, 11:32:30 am »

I'm not sure about that. From your answer at least it's pretty similar to mine, because people expect the most aggressive or competent townies to be targeted. Because that would be the best decision they could make. Worst case, they go against what we expect and kill a sub-optimal target. That just leaves town in a better position.
Fair enough, I'll grant you that one.  But in a game with more active players, the scum can use that to attempt to implicate another player.  Here, however, you are correct.

MastahCheese: Who do you think would be the most dangerous player if they were scum of the players playing?  Why?

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2014, 11:40:27 am »

Questions first:
4maskwolf:
I haven't used FoS, but I guess it's useful for stating that you're suspicious of one or more people without voting and risking an unwanted lynch.
Questions on Day1 are useful if they make someone nervous or paranoid. Usually means that they're scum
And I like power roles because I want to feel special :3

Graknorke:
Lynches on Day1 aren't usually successful, but they give valuable information. I'm not completely sure, but lynching LARD wouldn't feel like a bad move because every time he posts he seems more suspicious.
As for the NK, I have no idea. TDS looks like the Kenny around here who never gets to Day2.

And reads:
4maskwolf: much activity and hunting. Most likely to be town.
Graknorke: also very active. Another good contender for town.
Mastahcheese: isn't asking too many questions but doesn't seem too suspicious.
TDS: quite active. Probable town.
DP: seems like he's trying to avoid answering certain questions and doesn't make himself clear. Slight scum.
LARD: pretty much everything he says points to scum.
The ICs I'll wait until Day2 to get a good read.

And about the NK and such, why not ask the pros?
For the ICs: if you were scum and people told you who they think that's going to get killed, what would you do?
I personally think that scum could use that info to get the town into a massive WIFOM and drive everyone nuts.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2014, 12:31:08 pm »

Questions first:
And reads:
4maskwolf: much activity and hunting. Most likely to be town.
Graknorke: also very active. Another good contender for town.
Mastahcheese: isn't asking too many questions but doesn't seem too suspicious.
TDS: quite active. Probable town.
DP: seems like he's trying to avoid answering certain questions and doesn't make himself clear. Slight scum.
LARD: pretty much everything he says points to scum.
The ICs I'll wait until Day2 to get a good read.
Don't be so quick to make town judgments on day 1, this is the day when it is easiest for the scum to fool the town.  That aside, I will present my reads:
4maskwolf: ME!
Graknorke: highly active, town lean, but that isn't certain
Solymr: Neutral, has done nothing particularly towny or scummy yet.
Mastahcheese: Neutral
TDS: town lean due to high activity
DP: Acting like his usual self on the mafia forums, so I have no idea
LARD: I need to go back and read the explosion of things that followed him accusing me to make a read on him
Persus: Spends most of his time in IC voice, hasn't responded to my question yet, I will wait and see
Tiruin: null read due to excused low activity

Solymr: I'm not an IC, but I'll take a stab at your question anyways: it really depends on the situation.  One methodology for scum is the kill that will eliminate a dangerous player with minimal potential for being discovered.  Then there is making the kill that, hopefully, puts the town in a WIFOM situation or that frames another player, but this seems harder to pull off successfully.  I'm sure there are other methods that the ICs can explain.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2014, 02:31:04 pm »

Firstly, I would like a vote count, and I'm voting for an Extend. It's day 1, and we're nowhere near a consensus on who to lynch today.

To everyone who listed me and Tiruin as null:
If you have a null read on anyone, especially an IC, get rid of that by asking them questions or scumhunting them. I'd like to especially applaud 4maskwolf, who seems to be already doing that to me.

A question to Everyone. (Making it huge since people seem to be missing these)

Would everyone please be so kind as to provide your current reads, now that we are out of RVS?
Certainly.

Solymr: Appears to be bandwagoning on LARD with a ambiguous reason: "pretty much everything he says points to scum", medium scum lean.
LARD: Haven't seen him in a little, but it is the weekend. Plays Mafia differently than the other players, but I don't necessarily find that scummy. What I do find scummy is how he unvoted 4maskwolf under slight pressure. Slight scum lean
Darkpaladin109: Needs to get in here and play better. Larger scum lead.
Mastahcheese: seems fairly town to me, because of activity/content.
Tiruin: I know you're busy with life, but I would like help here. Null read.
Graknorke: Learning null. Seems slightly averse to lynching lurkers for some reason.
4maskwolf: Not sure, need to go back and reread his posts, but I'm currently leaning town.
TDS: Seems to be doing better this game than other games I've seen him in. Leaning town.
Me: IC, null read  :P

Ah, okay. If you had to lynch a lurker, what day would be the most optimal for doing so?
I really don't know. A day1 lynch is important, and it's not really useful if everybody just immediately decided on lynching the lurker, so I don't think day 1. By day 2 though there's already been a day of discussion, a lynch, and (probably) a NK to make decisions over. At that point discussion can sort of continue itself, even without a 'meaningful' lynch. So I suppose day 2.
Interesting Idea. Most people seem to think a Day 1 lurker lynch is best, but you raise a good counterpoint.

Though I wouldn't could RVS as being over, because LARD still hasn't responded satisfactorily to my pressure vote. I'm honestly quite tempted to leave it as a lynch vote, since he's been sitting on a supposed rebuke for more than 24 hours.
RVS more refers to Random Vote Stage, than pressure voting. Random voting is more for the very beginning of the game, when you randomly choose someone to vote and question. To me, your vote on LARD seems more for finding scummy things about him. Aslo, it's the weekend, so usually people don't post as often, so you should likely cut him a little slack.

Persus13 - This one's harder. Since he's an IC, I would expect Persus to be more active, and generally asking better questions than everyone else. Still though, I can't draw conclusions based on 'well of course they would look like that because they're better informed than me'. So I'll just have to accept that I know nothing and abstain from having an opinion.
Tiruin - Similarly, and opinion I claimed would be completely uneducated. I can't even say that she's polite, because scum can (and should) be polite too.
Don't abstain from having an opinion.

Not comfortable at all. The fact that everyone is currently piling on him makes me think either Tiruin or DP is his partner, or that he's town and scum are trying to Mislynch. Given that its Day 1, I'm going with the latter.

And another question for Everyone: Ignoring how scummy any individual is, who do you think is likely to be NKd today?
This question is useless and encourages WIFOM. And why should people ignore how scummy people are? The scum won't.

Persus13: Care to give us a little more analysis of the game so far?  What are your reads on various people?
I think that several players are taking their first steps. Graknorke is heading in the right direction, LARD seems to be going slightly different from everyone else, and DP has refused to take any steps. Right now I'm in a paranoid, "anyone could be scum" stage of playing.
I plan to keep a close eye on Graknorke, Solymr, Tiruin, and you, especially, for closer scanning, and as possible scum suspects. My reads I gave to Mastahcheese and my thoughts on the current dogpile on LARD are already stated.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2014, 02:46:59 pm »

Persus: a few things,

1. You missed Solymr's question directed at the IC's.

Quote from: Persus
I'd like to especially applaud 4maskwolf, who seems to be already doing that to me.
Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week  :P.

I plan to keep a close eye on Graknorke, Solymr, Tiruin, and you, especially, for closer scanning, and as possible scum suspects. My reads I gave to Mastahcheese and my thoughts on the current dogpile on LARD are already stated.
Why these particular four, may I ask?

Appears to be bandwagoning on LARD with a ambiguous reason: "pretty much everything he says points to scum", medium scum lean.
I have never seen the word bandwagon used before in reference to a FoS.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2014, 04:07:12 pm »

Persus13 - This one's harder. Since he's an IC, I would expect Persus to be more active, and generally asking better questions than everyone else. Still though, I can't draw conclusions based on 'well of course they would look like that because they're better informed than me'. So I'll just have to accept that I know nothing and abstain from having an opinion.
Tiruin - Similarly, and opinion I claimed would be completely uneducated. I can't even say that she's polite, because scum can (and should) be polite too.
Don't abstain from having an opinion.
Maybe abstain was a poor word. Point is that I am not and probably will not be informed enough to form a valid opinion. Anything I try to come up with you'll probably just chew me out for.

This question is useless and encourages WIFOM. And why should people ignore how scummy people are? The scum won't.
Useless: Nothing is entirely useless, but I was more just trying to throw out questions than go after any particular piece of information because the discussion was winding down.
Encourages WIFOM: Not really, it's just an observation question, discussing WIFOM doesn't come into the answers. People aren't even prone to thinking like that anyway, I certainly haven't seen any in this thread.
Ignore how scummy: That is to say, do not rule someone out just because you think they're scum.

Not comfortable at all. The fact that everyone is currently piling on him makes me think either Tiruin or DP is his partner, or that he's town and scum are trying to Mislynch. Given that its Day 1, I'm going with the latter.
So LARD is town and scum is trying to get a mislynch on him?
I'd like to hear more about your opinion on that. Do you think that any of the scum are voting for LARD? One or both? Considering that there's only 3 people currently voting for him, there aren't too many choices you could make.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2014, 04:10:38 pm »

Persus
Ignoring the fact that you didn't answer my question and that I didn't actually vote for Lard, I'll explain my reasons for suspecting him.
I'm only going to refer to the most recent ones since it's getting late here.
Here in this post I asked him for an explanation and still hasn't answered, even when he posted later.
I may give him a pass on this if he answers later.

In that same post he unvotes wolf immediately after being pointed out that he's pushing him on a weak case. There is also his worrying about looking town, and this response in which he gets pretty defensive and contradicts himself on the ambiguous answers matter.

Now there is something that doesn't add up about your last statement. If those four are suspects of bandwagoning Lard, why did you exclude TDS, who also voted for him?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2014, 04:37:17 pm »

Day 1 Continues...

[3] LARD: Graknorke, Tiruin, TheDarkStar
[1] darkpaladin109: Persus13
[1] Persus13: 4maskwolf

Day 1 will end Tuesday 12:00 PM MST in approximately 45 hours. One vote has been cast for an extension. Three more are required to extend the day to Wednesday 12:00 PM MST.

Note that the day will end at this time even if I am not available to end it. Votes, extensions, shortens, etc. will not be counted after this time even if I have not formally declared this.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 31