Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Game Over! Town win!  (Read 78025 times)

Solymr

• Bay Watcher
  • BEEP BOP READ SOLDIERMON
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1!
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2014, 01:40:31 pm »

4maskwolf:
I don't think I would. The thing about jailing is that the cop would be protected but also useless. If there's only one scum left I'd try to block him to prevent NK while making sure he is scum. Unless I'm getting the role wrong :S

mastahcheese:
Town only if I am a power role. Otherwise scum. Because I like the thrill of the hunt, but I like being special too :3

As for my favorite role, doctor is nice because of the warm feeling you get when you save someone from death. Since there ain't a doctor here, I guess jailer because it's the closest thing.

And answering your specific question to me, even if it were a policy lynch there would still be some kind of lead I could start an investigation from. People who point to lurkers/liars without voting them would be first on the suspicion list.

4maskwolf again:
That is suspiciously similar to what we had in the other game :P

Gark:
Not even assuming that you meant jailer I'm able to understand the question. Can you rephrase it?

Can't think of any questions right now.

Ppe
mastah:
You just ninja'd me.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2014, 01:54:00 pm »

mastah:
You just ninja'd me.
I find this hilarious. Also I'm assuming that you're posting from your phone again because you aren't quoting. Luckily I remembered what I asked you so I don't mind this time. You can say PfP so people know you're using a phone, otherwise people like me will get on you for it a lot.
But anyway, back to the game.

mastahcheese:
And answering your specific question to me, even if it were a policy lynch there would still be some kind of lead I could start an investigation from. People who point to lurkers/liars without voting them would be first on the suspicion list.
What about someone who puts their vote on the lurker right before the Day's end? Would you view this as more or less scummy than the ones who point it out, but don't vote?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2014, 03:21:01 pm »

So I take it from your answers that you'd dislike being scum, for the reason that you'd be bad at it? If you had to be scum, what do you think you'd find most interesting about it?
Not necessarily that I'd be bad at it. I've made a bunch of slip ups already without the added pressure of having to be an antagonist. But the extra pressure certainly wouldn't help.
The most interesting part I think would be the first and second day, where the scum are too outnumbered to swing a lynch vote and has to play smart to convince other people. That seems to be where the meat of basic scum gameplay is at.

I'm sorry, what is this "gaoler"?
Sorry, jailer. It's apparently not spelled that way outside of the UK, Ireland, and Australia though. I'll have to keep that in mind.
I didn't know about how those under protection don't know about it either. Faulty assumption on my part there that they would.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2014, 03:26:17 pm »

PSA: PLEASE USE QUOTES! If you can't or don't know how, post a link to the post you're responding to.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:57 pm »

darkpaladin109
Everyone: You are the jailkeeper, and the cop has claimed and been proven right.  Do you protect them or no?
I'd try to figure out if he said anything that could point to him being a scum, then decide on what to do.
This is an interesting answer, if I say so myself. While you technically answered the question, you failed to actually give an information at all.
If there are things that could point to them being scum, what would you do?
If there are no such things, then what would you do?
Good point there. If there were things that could point them to scum, I'd vote for them to get linched, in case I was correct. If there was nothing to point towards them being scum, I'd protect them.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 04:06:42 pm »

And why is it that you are questioning my methods of hunting scum, before even making an attempt yourself?
Because I have very little idea what I should be looking for or asking. I wasn't doubting you, just wanting an answer.

And actually on that, everyone can consider that question I asked before invalid, because it doesn't work as a question.

Assume it replaced by the following hypothetical question:
There are 4 players left including you, and one scum has been lynched so far. Each of you has been , for whatever reason, trying particularly hard to push one other, creating a loop of accusation. Nobody shifts from their view and there is a no-lynch tie. During the night, the player who you were neither voting for nor voted for you is hit by the NK. Does this change your opinion on who the traitor is or do you stick with your previous vote (the player who was voting for the now-dead one)?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 06:33:12 pm »

Everyone: You are the jailkeeper, and the cop has claimed and been proven right.  Do you protect them or no?

If they request jailing, then yes. Otherwise, it comes down to whether or not I suspect someone is scum (I need a jail target), how many scum are left (two or one), and some WIFOM - "Would the scum target the guy that might be protected because they assume that I wouldn't do it, assuming they would pick a different target, or would they target someone else, assuming that the jailkeeper is safe?"

Question to everyone: What would be your preferred alignment, town or scum. Why?
TheDarkStar: Which would you view as more scummy, when someone is lynched because someone voted them, breaking a tiebreaker, or because someone withdrew their vote, and ending a tiebreaker? Why?

1. Scum, since it's fun watching everyone get really confused while you lead them to lynch each other. Of course, most of my games so far have been as scum, so I'm biased towards them.

2. Mostly not scummy: Breaking a tiebreaker. I'm fine with it as long as they give a good reason for it. If they do it without a good reason, it's scummy.

Semi-scummy: Withdrawing a vote to end a tie. It's acceptable if both people are suspects or if the guy who unvoted is proven innocent.

Scummy: Lynch trains with no good reason. There's almost always at least one scum player in that lynch train. Everyone who didn't have a good reason is suspect, and the people who do have reasons who voted later are also suspect.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 07:09:58 pm »

LARD: Your response to 4maskwolf is an example of what we call WIFOM (Wine In Front Of Me). Your reasoning is based on the idea that you would surely block the cop, and the scum would think that, but precisely because of this reasoning, they may go after the cop anyway. Secondly, the way this setup works, is that there are three possible setups. Only 1 has both the cop and the jailkeeper. So the scum do not necessarily know if the jailkeeper exists, and would likely go after the cop, as if they did and got blocked, they know there is a jailkeeper, where if they went after the cop and didn't get blocked, they would have killed the cop.

Also, you didn't answer my question.

The question about what mafia I had played before, I'm assuming. I guess it's relevant and I had better not dodge any questions, so I have mostly played mafia "in person" so the questionings weren't as long and people got lynched for "looking suspicious." So it's not a very big help here.  I also mentioned "the resistance" which I won't bother explaining because it's irrelevant. (Though a great game. look it up)
Persus13  I'm going to go out on a limb a bit for a newby and start pressuring you.  I do want to know why your first post started with:
Hello all, I'm your friendly IC here. The goal of this game for town is to find the scum. That means asking questions, following up on those questions, and scumhunting people in order to figure out who is scum and who is town. If you're are scum, the goal of the game is to get town to lynch people that aren't you. That means asking questions, following up on those questions, and scumhunting people.

It seems to me that you're taking advantage of the fact that we are new and trying to put yourself in a mentor/guide role to us, putting yourself in a great position for a mafia and if you were a townie, a great position to be mafia-killed first. I find that a bit suspicious.

As for my question to 4maskwolf, the point was not the wine in front of me, but that the information from answering that question could only benefit the mafia.  If they think they might know who the jailkeeper is, they can use his answer. Which only leads to another wine in front of me. The point is that the answers to his question are only valuable to the mafia, who can do something with them.

Assume it replaced by the following hypothetical question:
There are 4 players left including you, and one scum has been lynched so far. Each of you has been , for whatever reason, trying particularly hard to push one other, creating a loop of accusation. Nobody shifts from their view and there is a no-lynch tie. During the night, the player who you were neither voting for nor voted for you is hit by the NK. Does this change your opinion on who the traitor is or do you stick with your previous vote (the player who was voting for the now-dead one)?

I think at that point we are left with a WIFOM again. Did the mafia attack the one who was accusing him or is the other guy scum and nightkilling the guy who he was attacking. I dunno if claiming WIFOM for a bunch of answers is a scummy thing to do, but it just doesn't seem like we know without more info. I know you don't like receiving answers that just say, "we can't know" but there you are.

Questions:
4maskwolf, I know I have been going after you a bit, what was your intent with that jailkeeper question.  I want to know what the reasoning is behind it, just a game starter question, or did you hope to get useful information?

Everyone  Ambiguous answers, are they scummy?

darkpaladin109 are you having fun? (this one is actually important)

That's it for now, but I'll be back

P.S. Celebrate with me, for I have learned to quote!

Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 07:37:10 pm »

If the cop claimed and was proven right, I would not protect him. The mafia would assume I would and attack somebody else. But this is counterproductive, because the mafia see how we all respond and whoever they think is the jailkeeper, they now get to see how they respond. 4maskwolf, Why would you ask such and obviously scum benefiting question?
Gamestarter question, LARD, and going after me for it is an example of scumhunting.  You found something fishy, you pursued it.  There's no problem with that.
4maskwolf
Well, the "cop getting you killed" bit was you cracking under pressure. Although you jumped in to a bad situation, so I can't blame you.
So would you say that the fun of this game is in trying to obtain information?
Mastah: You are a scum rolecop, and there are 5 town left, without a scum partner.  The three of the town joined forces to lynch your scumpartner: which one of those three do you kill.  There is a cop in the game, but you haven't found them.
That sounds oddly familiar, maybe the start of the last BM? If I were in those shoes, I'd probably not kill any of the three. I'd go after someone who'd been rather outside of the situation, to keep people guessing for as long as possible, and try to sow some discord, and break up the little treaty they had going, to make it easier for me. Go for the long haul.
I think that much of the fun I derive from the game is the thrill of the unknown, yes.  Also, Unvote Cheese.
Graknorke: Hi!  It's always great to have new players!  So tell me, how do you plan on playing mafia: lurking, highly active, somewhat active, etc.
I imagine that, given timezones, it'll probably have to be more long posts about everything rather than being able to be on at peak-times with the frequent, shorter back-and-forth posts. But that's not so much of a hindrance, since we're on a forum and all.
Question for everyone; someone is pushing you hard, and someone in turn is attacking them. By the end of the day, it ends up being a different townie who gets lynched. You are protected during the night by the gaoler, and no night kill is made, meaning that you were the NK target. Which out of the person attacking you and the one attacking him is scum, and is the other likely to be the gaoler?
You wouldn't know if they tried to nk you, I think.  I don't know, it's never happened to me.
More questions later, I promised I would talk answer some stuff on The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:13 pm »

Everyone  Ambiguous answers, are they scummy?

P.S. Celebrate with me, for I have learned to quote!

Yes, since they mean that someone is not willing to say what they know.

Also, congrats.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 08:05:19 pm »

Question time!

Solymr: If you were scum and your fellow scum were under suspicion, what would you do? Would you bus or lynch?
Graknorke: It's your first game. What do you think is the most important thing to look for to find scum?
mastahcheese: You have played several games. What do you think is the most important thing to look for to find scum?
LARD: You're another new guy. Do you think that it's a major scumtell to answer unimportant questions vaguely, even if there is more explained later?
darkpaladin109: When do you think it's a good idea to roleclaim and reveal your findings as a rolecop?
Persus13: If you were scum, would you target people who suspected you or people who didn't suspect you first?

And to all these questions, also tell why you think that way.

Also, I missed one of mastahcheese's questions:

Question to everyone: What would be your preferred role? Why?

Probably scum leader. I find playing as scum to be more fun other things short of being a serial killer-type role (not that I've had that chance yet on forum mafia). I also prefer non-standard games, since I like finding out more than just who the scum are.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 08:08:23 pm »

TDS: Which is more important as town: to stay alive, or to try and lay the seeds for others to find scum and be killed for it?  Why?

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 08:29:04 pm »

Questions:
4maskwolf, I know I have been going after you a bit, what was your intent with that jailkeeper question.  I want to know what the reasoning is behind it, just a game starter question, or did you hope to get useful information?

This was a bit of a trap for you,4maskwolf because I gave you a way to escape my question, namely the gamestarter excuse. The fact that you used it shows that you neither thought very long about your response, nor had an original answer of your own. That is making me even more suspicious of you. So it was a trap, Not a very mafia-specific trap, but a trap nonetheless.

LARD: You're another new guy. Do you think that it's a major scumtell to answer unimportant questions vaguely, even if there is more explained later?

It isn't all that scummy, because it just shows that the answerer doesn't think the question merit's much thought. If they clarify themselves later on, that is scummy because they are giving a rehearsed answer and not the impulsive one the question was aiming for.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 08:41:40 pm »

Graknorke: It's your first game. What do you think is the most important thing to look for to find scum?
Efforts to be unnoticed are what I'd be looking out for the most. I'm not a big fan of the policy some players having of lynching somebody just for lurking, but when somebody is clearly making an active attempt to stay out of scrutiny, it seems like something scum would do. I've read through a few of the BM games, but probably the most striking out of the ones I read was actually the first, when I realised I'd forgotten about everybody apart from the 3 that were slinging mud at each other.
The reason I'd say it's the most important thing to look for is because, by its very nature, if you don't look out for it the scum gets a massive advantage of not being considered. You need to be able to keep track of everything that's going on, even if what's going on is nothing.

4mask, is it more scummy for someone to case a nolynch vote or to abstain from voting, and why?
LARD, would you say it is more beneficial for the success of the town to have the cop or the jailkeeper, if we don't have both?
TDS, in your answer to 4maskwolf's question, you mentioned the cop asking you to protect them. In that situation, would you also announce that you were the jailkeeper and protecting them, or would you just do it?

Look at me playing with the big boys, asking more than one (sensible) question at once.

PPE:
It isn't all that scummy, because it just shows that the answerer doesn't think the question merit's much thought.
I can't entirely agree there. Answering in a way that appears to be without thought could also just be a way to try and brush off the question and make it seem unimportant. Avoiding being in the spotlight like that is a big scumtell.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 08:46:13 pm »

Questions:

This was a bit of a trap for you,4maskwolf because I gave you a way to escape my question, namely the gamestarter excuse. The fact that you used it shows that you neither thought very long about your response, nor had an original answer of your own. That is making me even more suspicious of you. So it was a trap, Not a very mafia-specific trap, but a trap nonetheless.

It isn't all that scummy, because it just shows that the answerer doesn't think the question merit's much thought. If they clarify themselves later on, that is scummy because they are giving a rehearsed answer and not the impulsive one the question was aiming for.
Okay.  I have two things to say:
One: well played, sir
Two: back to the in-game, I'm not sure what that tells you.  Because it was a gamestarter: there was nothing more to it.  There was next to no probability that a question I tossed out in the two minutes I had would turn up a scum, but the way people respond to my questions tells me a lot about them.  Even though I knew that I wouldn't be able to post for a while afterwards, it is good to get some interaction going.
Now, back to you.  First, you try to introduce WIFOM into the answer of a question that was close to yes or no.  That I can overlook: it was a beginner mistake, and the question wasn't really that much of a scumhunt.  However, for the future, WIFOM usage after day 1, and even sometimes during day one, can be considered a scumtell by some people.  Second: you didn't need to say that it was a trap.  The point you make seems fair, but you should have/ should now pursue it agressively.
Alright, alright, enough pretending to be an IC.

LARD: You seem to place a lot of weight on the questions having been answered "in the moment" in that last post.  However, this is a forum, and people can take as long as they want to think through their posts.  How, if any, would that change your gameplan?

PPE:
Graknorke:
It really depends on the circumstances.  Day one: nolynch vote, there is no reason to not lynch.  However, there are many instances where the risk of lynching town is higher than the reward of lynching scum, and a nolynch vote can avoid that consequence.  Total lack of a vote from a player is highly suspicious, particularly during the RVS.
Now, In your PPE, you say that avoiding the spotlight is considered a major scumtell. However, the questions specifically asks about an UNIMPORTANT question.  Is it still a scumtell if they give a very brief answer to an irrelevant question?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 31