Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Game Over! Town win!  (Read 77852 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: In Signups! 7/7 1/2
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 10:48:05 pm »

...You aren't serious right? :S

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: In Signups! 7/7 1/2
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:30 pm »

Okay, Tiruin, you're the IC. Complain now if you don't want the spot. Otherwise, I'm going to get the game started, ETA a couple hours.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Starting Game...
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 11:29:47 pm »

. . .
Bring it on.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Starting Game...
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 11:52:23 pm »

DAY 1

Dundun dun dundun

"Not this again," Sarah Connor said. "Alright, there are nine of you. Two of you have to be Skynet. Until all of you figure who they are, you're not getting anywhere near me or my son."

"But I said to come with me if you-"

"I don't care!"

"I don't know why you are so frustrated." Said a T-800 "You have to come with me if you-"

Sarah Connor threw her hand up, stopping the T-800 from continuing. She gently but firmly pulled John Connor to a car, where they both got in and drove away.

The nine Terminators looked at each other, sizing each other up. "We need clothes."

"Agreed."

Dundun dun dundun

Day 1 has begun!

Day 1 will end Tuesday 12:00 PM MST.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XLV: The Terminators: Day 1!
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 11:56:32 pm »

Alright, PFP, but good game to everyone in the game.  I'll try to get questions in tomorrow morning, otherwise definitely tomorrow afternoon.  Life is being life right now.

Everyone: You are the jailkeeper, and the cop has claimed and been proven right.  Do you protect them or no?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2014, 01:20:17 am »

All right, let's find us some scum.

Everyone: You are the jailkeeper, and the cop has claimed and been proven right.  Do you protect them or no?
By "proven right", I assume you mean that they outed a scum, and said scum was lynched? In that case, there's only one scum left.
I would not protect them, instead, I would target whoever I believe to be most likely to be the remaining scum. If nobody dies in the night, then odds are I've found either the scum, or their target, and I'd go from there.

Question to everyone: What would be your preferred alignment, town or scum. Why?

Solymr: Day 2, you're a vanilla townsmen. Another vanilla townie was lynched the day before, and another was killed in the night. The one that was lynched was a policy lynch, and the one killed in the night failed to provide any leads. Where do you feel would be the next logical step in making sense of the situation? Why?
Graknorke: So this is your first game? If someone told you that they were the cop, would you believe them? What if they successfully declared someone as scum? Why?
4maskwolf: You are the mafia rolecop, and you've identified the Jailkeeper. The Jailkeeper has been making a strong case against you during the day. Do you kill him, to eliminate the powerrole? Or do you leave him, as his death might leave implications? Why?
LARD: So this is also your first game? Let's say you're scum. Someone has been attacking you for suspected scummyness. Would you kill them in the night? Why or why not?
darkpaladin109: A person is lynched after getting 4 votes on him. Of which of the voters would you feel is most suspicious, based simply off of the order in which they voted? Why?
TheDarkStar: Which would you view as more scummy, when someone is lynched because someone voted them, breaking a tiebreaker, or because someone withdrew their vote, and ending a tiebreaker? Why?
Persus13: A player is lurking, and someone points it out after only a day, and votes them. How would you view such an action? Why?
Tiruin: You're scum. Your scumbuddy happened to draw some suspicion due to some of their behavior, but not enough to get lynched. Would they be any particular type of person you'd try to kill in the night at this point? Why? How would you proceed for the next day? Why?

Question to everyone: What would be your preferred role? Why?

I think that's enough questions. For now.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2014, 04:23:41 am »

How could somebody be "proven right"? The only way I can imagine would be if there was another cop who you also trusted for whatever reason. But then that's just taking the level of assumptions up a layer, assuming that the second cop is trustworthy and is actually a cop.
It doesn't matter how much you try to be sure of it, it could always be set-up.

Question to everyone: What would be your preferred alignment, town or scum. Why?
Town, because I would no doubt be terrible at scum. First game and all that, and I'm not a big believer in 'beginner's luck'.

Graknorke: So this is your first game? If someone told you that they were the cop, would you believe them? What if they successfully declared someone as scum? Why?
I wouldn't believe them if they just claimed it, and acurately declaring someone scum doesn't necessarily make them look good, since if they were the cop it's unlikely that they'd be able to investigate one of the scum in the first couple of nights.

Well the cop is useful before anyone knows who the scum are, but after there's a good idea of who's what, the jailkeeper would be far more useful, being able to roleblock/doctor people.

Okay so, I really don't recognise most of you people. Apart from darkpaladin, Tiruin, and mastahcheese I've never interacted with the players here before. That means I have no idea what you're like. So... hi.
I'll wait for more people to answer the questions before I ask anything though. 4 is more than enough to be waiting on.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2014, 08:56:25 am »

Hello all, I'm your friendly IC here. The goal of this game for town is to find the scum. That means asking questions, following up on those questions, and scumhunting people in order to figure out who is scum and who is town. If you're are scum, the goal of the game is to get town to lynch people that aren't you. That means asking questions, following up on those questions, and scumhunting people.

4maskwolf:
Alright, PFP, but good game to everyone in the game.  I'll try to get questions in tomorrow morning, otherwise definitely tomorrow afternoon.  Life is being life right now.

It depends on the situation. I may have other things I'm following up on, and if I strongly suspect someone of being scum (alliteration), I may block him to prevent him from carrying out a kill.

Now, why are you asking one question to everybody? How do you plan to follow this question up to each person, and why only ask one question to everybody instead of multiple questions.

Mastahcheese:
Scum, because I find it more fun. Now what's the point of this question?

Persus13: A player is lurking, and someone points it out after only a day, and votes them. How would you view such an action? Why?
This depends on the situation. I also assume you mean real-time days and that I'm town. What was the lurker doing prior to lurking? Is he currently voting anyone? Is the vote on the lurker a pressure vote or a lynch vote? If a lynch vote, is it solely because of lurking or are their other reasons? Does the person voting have better uses for their vote? All these questions would determine what I would do. If it was a pressure vote, I'd wouldn't care that much. If it was a lynch vote, I'd probably view that as suspicious.

A role that gives me something to do at night. Because it is more fun.

Graknorke:
Okay so, I really don't recognise most of you people. Apart from darkpaladin, Tiruin, and mastahcheese I've never interacted with the players here before. That means I have no idea what you're like. So... hi.
I'll wait for more people to answer the questions before I ask anything though. 4 is more than enough to be waiting on.
Well, you probably don't know me as well because I mainly frequent the RTD and Mafia boards. Anyway, you look like you're making a good start, but a follow-up question:
If one person claims cop and says they inspected some and found they were scum, and then another person claimed and said that they were the cop, what would your reaction be?

Also, even if there are already questions out thee, I encourage you to ask your own, so you are more actively involved in hunting for scum.

LARD: You stated your not new to Mafia. What type of Mafia are you used to? I also recommend you read at least one finished game from this forum as it is likely different from what you're used to.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2014, 10:08:22 am »

All right, let's find us some scum.

By "proven right", I assume you mean that they outed a scum, and said scum was lynched? In that case, there's only one scum left.
I would not protect them, instead, I would target whoever I believe to be most likely to be the remaining scum. If nobody dies in the night, then odds are I've found either the scum, or their target, and I'd go from there.

Solymr: Day 2, you're a vanilla townsmen. Another vanilla townie was lynched the day before, and another was killed in the night. The one that was lynched was a policy lynch, and the one killed in the night failed to provide any leads. Where do you feel would be the next logical step in making sense of the situation? Why?
4maskwolf: You are the mafia rolecop, and you've identified the Jailkeeper. The Jailkeeper has been making a strong case against you during the day. Do you kill him, to eliminate the powerrole? Or do you leave him, as his death might leave implications? Why?
LARD: So this is also your first game? Let's say you're scum. Someone has been attacking you for suspected scummyness. Would you kill them in the night? Why or why not?
darkpaladin109: A person is lynched after getting 4 votes on him. Of which of the voters would you feel is most suspicious, based simply off of the order in which they voted? Why?
TheDarkStar: Which would you view as more scummy, when someone is lynched because someone voted them, breaking a tiebreaker, or because someone withdrew their vote, and ending a tiebreaker? Why?
Tiruin: You're scum. Your scumbuddy happened to draw some suspicion due to some of their behavior, but not enough to get lynched. Would they be any particular type of person you'd try to kill in the night at this point? Why? How would you proceed for the next day? Why?

I think that's enough questions. For now.
Town, because I have to work for information.
Cop, because it has a tendency to get me lynched  :P.  But seriously, actually vanilla townie, because I have to work even more for information.
It depends. If my scumbuddy is alive, get him/her to kill the jailkeep, because if the jailkeep suspects me I am almost certainly being blocked.  Otherwise, try to kill someone else, because I don't want the jailkeep to know that I'm on to him/her.

Quote from: Persus13
4maskwolf:
Quote from: 4maskwolf on February 26, 2014, 11:56:32 pm

It depends on the situation. I may have other things I'm following up on, and if I strongly suspect someone of being scum (alliteration), I may block him to prevent him from carrying out a kill.

Now, why are you asking one question to everybody? How do you plan to follow this question up to each person, and why only ask one question to everybody instead of multiple questions.
Hello friendly neighborhood IC!
I posted a single question because I am so busy right now.  I'm slipping this post in between sleep and school, but if I don't ask everyone a question that's why.
Persus: You are a vanilla scum, and one player has a strong case against you.  The lynch eventually goes to your teammate, however.  As the only scum left, against 4 town, who do you kill?
Mastah: You are a scum rolecop, and there are 5 town left, without a scum partner.  The three of the town joined forces to lynch your scumpartner: which one of those three do you kill.  There is a cop in the game, but you haven't found them.
Tiruin: You are vanilla town, and two players are pushing you pretty hard on day one.  One of those players dies N1.  Do you believe that the last player is scum?
Graknorke: Hi!  It's always great to have new players!  So tell me, how do you plan on playing mafia: lurking, highly active, somewhat active, etc.
Solymr: You are vanilla town, and towards the end of the first day someone starts pushing you really hard without good cause.  The player who gets lynched, when no votes change, is scum.  Is the player pushing you town or scum?
That's all I have time for right now, I'll get back to the RVS later, after school.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2014, 10:34:54 am »

If the cop claimed and was proven right, I would not protect him. The mafia would assume I would and attack somebody else. But this is counterproductive, because the mafia see how we all respond and whoever they think is the jailkeeper, they now get to see how they respond. 4maskwolf, Why would you ask such and obviously scum benefiting question?

Prefered alignment is actually scum because I love successfully fooling people. If anybody knows the game "the resistance" that is a favourite of mine.  Though my brother can see right through me.

If I am scum and somebody is attacking me, I probably will attack them. It looks suspicious and I generally look suspicious when I play these games. So I can easily pass it off as the scum trying to kill someone and blame it on me, as I was the (sadly) deceased's target.

This game I would prefer the jailkeeper because I have never played as him before and it would make the game more interesting. It's probably better if I am just a vanilla townie so I can get the hang of a normal game.

The kind of mafia that I'm used to is the kind played in a circle where people attack eachother on whims. I rather think that Don Eskridge's "The Resistance" is a better lesson on how to play, because it has all the logic and pressure, but no sentiment.  As for reading different up on how mafia is played here, I know quite a bit, because a friend of mine is also on these games and won't shut up about them. But don't worry, it's not like I will ask his advice for this one. That would be scummy.

Oh, as cop I inspected myself and proved myself innocent. just kidding

All these questions mastahcheese, I have to wonder, how did you decide who to ask what?

Sorry, haven't figured out how to do quotes well yet. Don't explain it, it's fine.
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2014, 11:58:54 am »

Hello friendly neighborhood IC!
I posted a single question because I am so busy right now.  I'm slipping this post in between sleep and school, but if I don't ask everyone a question that's why.
Persus: You are a vanilla scum, and one player has a strong case against you.  The lynch eventually goes to your teammate, however.  As the only scum left, against 4 town, who do you kill?
Not asking everyone a question is perfectly fine. I'd actually advise you not to ask a question to everyone unless you think you can handle 8 different conversations with people for a lengthy period. Instead, ask specific questions to several different players, with each question tailored to the player, and follow up and scumhunt them. If you ask a question and then can't follow up the answer, there's not really a point in asking it.

To answer your question, I'd kill a good player who appeared town to the majority of the players. If that person also had a case against me, all the better.

LARD: Your response to 4maskwolf is an example of what we call WIFOM (Wine In Front Of Me). Your reasoning is based on the idea that you would surely block the cop, and the scum would think that, but precisely because of this reasoning, they may go after the cop anyway. Secondly, the way this setup works, is that there are three possible setups. Only 1 has both the cop and the jailkeeper. So the scum do not necessarily know if the jailkeeper exists, and would likely go after the cop, as if they did and got blocked, they know there is a jailkeeper, where if they went after the cop and didn't get blocked, they would have killed the cop.

Also, you didn't answer my question.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 12:41:38 pm »

a follow-up question:
If one person claims cop and says they inspected some and found they were scum, and then another person claimed and said that they were the cop, what would your reaction be?
I would be more inclined to believe the second person, and think that the first was scum, bussing their teammate. Claiming cop in a situation like that would draw attention, so I don't think scum would do that, and I can't think of a reason why a vanilla townie or jailer would lie about that.

Graknorke: Hi!  It's always great to have new players!  So tell me, how do you plan on playing mafia: lurking, highly active, somewhat active, etc.
I imagine that, given timezones, it'll probably have to be more long posts about everything rather than being able to be on at peak-times with the frequent, shorter back-and-forth posts. But that's not so much of a hindrance, since we're on a forum and all.

So, mastahcheese, you seem pretty sure that these questions will lure out scum in some way. Personally, I don't see how hypotheticals will ever catch anyone out. They could easily just say "well that's only what I said in that situation, not the rest of the time" or perhaps the classic "you can't know until you're actually in that position". So, how do you expect your questions to actually prove - or even imply - anything?
Question for everyone; someone is pushing you hard, and someone in turn is attacking them. By the end of the day, it ends up being a different townie who gets lynched. You are protected during the night by the gaoler, and no night kill is made, meaning that you were the NK target. Which out of the person attacking you and the one attacking him is scum, and is the other likely to be the gaoler?

PPE:
Persus13; you - like mastahcheese - seem to think it's important that your questions are answered. What do you hope to glean from these seemingly irrelevant questions? I don't think it particularly matters what Mafia LARD is experienced with.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2014, 01:06:13 pm »

I'd try to figure out if he said anything that could point to him being a scum, then decide on what to do.

1. Town, because I'm still new and would no doubt be bad at being a scum.
2. A very tough question to answer, at least for me. I'd be the most suspicious of the fourth voter, since they could be scum taking advantage of the oportunity to make themselves less suspicious.
3. Vannila town, since I'm still new and don't want to mess up in the more important roles.
Question for everyone; someone is pushing you hard, and someone in turn is attacking them. By the end of the day, it ends up being a different townie who gets lynched. You are protected during the night by the gaoler, and no night kill is made, meaning that you were the NK target. Which out of the person attacking you and the one attacking him is scum, and is the other likely to be the gaoler?
Another hard question to answer, but I'd think the person attacking me would be the scum, while the person attacking him would be the jailer.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2014, 01:37:22 pm »

Solymr
Still hasn't posted yet. I can wait.

Graknorke
Knowing what people are like, while it can help, isn't really needed in this game.
So I take it from your answers that you'd dislike being scum, for the reason that you'd be bad at it? If you had to be scum, what do you think you'd find most interesting about it?
So, mastahcheese, [1] you seem pretty sure that these questions will lure out scum in some way. Personally, I don't see how hypotheticals will ever catch anyone out. They could easily just say "well that's only what I said in that situation, not the rest of the time" or perhaps the classic "you can't know until you're actually in that position". So, how do you expect your questions to actually prove - or even imply - anything?
Question for everyone; [2] someone is pushing you hard, and someone in turn is attacking them. By the end of the day, it ends up being a different townie who gets lynched. You are protected during the night by the gaoler, and no night kill is made, meaning that you were the NK target. Which out of the person attacking you and the one attacking him is scum, and is the other likely to be the gaoler?
[1] The hypotheticals themselves, to me, are more of a catalyst to conversation, than a means to catch scum in and of themselves. Sometimes, they're useful, but mostly I just use them to start something more meaningful.
And why is it that you are questioning my methods of hunting scum, before even making an attempt yourself?
[2] Well at least now there is an attempt. I'm sorry, what is this "gaoler"? Asking questions regarding (what I assume to be a role) that aren't even in the game seem to be far less effective at finding scum, than my methods, which you are doubting. And when you are protected, you don't know that you are protected. You are completely unaware of such an event.

4maskwolf
Well, the "cop getting you killed" bit was you cracking under pressure. Although you jumped in to a bad situation, so I can't blame you.
So would you say that the fun of this game is in trying to obtain information?
Mastah: You are a scum rolecop, and there are 5 town left, without a scum partner.  The three of the town joined forces to lynch your scumpartner: which one of those three do you kill.  There is a cop in the game, but you haven't found them.
That sounds oddly familiar, maybe the start of the last BM? If I were in those shoes, I'd probably not kill any of the three. I'd go after someone who'd been rather outside of the situation, to keep people guessing for as long as possible, and try to sow some discord, and break up the little treaty they had going, to make it easier for me. Go for the long haul.

LARD
I'd got on you for not quoting, but you already brought it up.
All these questions mastahcheese, I have to wonder, how did you decide who to ask what?
Honestly? I decide randomly. The reason I asked some many question is because, looking back on other games I played, I usually ask about 2-4 questions before having something to go after, so I figured if I let loose with a bunch of questions, it would give me more information faster.

darkpaladin109
I'd try to figure out if he said anything that could point to him being a scum, then decide on what to do.
This is an interesting answer, if I say so myself. While you technically answered the question, you failed to actually give an information at all.
If there are things that could point to them being scum, what would you do?
If there are no such things, then what would you do?

TheDarkStar
Also has yet to post. The day is still young.

Persus13
Mastahcheese:
Scum, because I find it more fun. [1] Now what's the point of this question?

This depends on the situation. I also assume you mean real-time days and that I'm town. [2] What was the lurker doing prior to lurking? [3] Is he currently voting anyone? [4] Is the vote on the lurker a pressure vote or a lynch vote? [5] If a lynch vote, is it solely because of lurking or are their other reasons? [6] Does the person voting have better uses for their vote? All these questions would determine what I would do. If it was a pressure vote, I'd wouldn't care that much. If it was a lynch vote, I'd probably view that as suspicious.

[7] A role that gives me something to do at night. Because it is more fun.
[1] It gives me something to cross check later. If people are in a role they enjoy, it would be logical to conclude that they would put more effort into playing, as they have more invested in it. It can help, particularly later on.
[2-6] Yes, I meant 1 RL day, with you as town. I like the litany of counter-questions. I'll keep note of that.
[2] Let's say he answered a couple of RVS questions, but nothing else so far.
[3] Let's say no.
[4] Hmm, let's say they tell the person to get in here, a vote them, but it's not clear what the tone is.
[5] Let's say it's just for lurking, and lacking  better lead.
[6] Hmm, let's say there are some arguments going on that they could join in on, but choose not to.
[7] So I guess a scum rolecop would be your top choice?

Tiruin
I know that she's busy. It can wait a bit longer.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31