Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Doom 2 Mapping  (Read 3244 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Doom 2 Mapping
« on: February 21, 2014, 02:37:21 pm »

Is anyone else interested in making levels for Doom 2? I've been working on a megawad for a while now, but I'm still on MAP03 (which is bigger than planned!) and wondered if anyone would like to share their creations? I'm always looking for Doom levels to play. :) :) :)

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Doom 2 Mapping
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 02:49:59 pm »

I haven't messed with Doom much since me and a friend of mine changed our go-top FPS from Zandronum/Brutal Doom to Unreal Tournament 2004 a few months ago.

I was working on a level in Doom Builder that I haven't touched since. It was pretty bad, but building Doom levels is pretty great fun. Almost as fun as Brutal Doom itself. If I get something up though, I'll definitely share. I wonder what a Dwarf Fortress-inspired level would be like...

Probably magma. Lots and lots of magma.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »

I might try my hand at making doom levels.

Slightly related, but Id/Zenimax has declared that those who pre-purchase (apparently, only physical version are up for that right now) the new wolfenstein game will get into the beta for the next doom game.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 11:03:58 pm »

If you can make your maps available to play co-operatively, I'll gladly give them a spin! My brothers and I are always looking for new Doom maps to play when we get the urge to load up Brutal Doom.

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:29:17 am »

I'll be happy to playtest.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 09:46:27 am »

PTW

I can playtest, may also learn WAD scripting.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 10:34:09 am »

Huh. Making maps for Doom 2? Well, it sounds interesting enough, at least. Would like to try my hand in earnest - without a proper goal I just end up losing motivation not even halfway through.

Though, considering...what source port's gonna be used? They just kind of clustered out into many different shapes - I'd speak out in favor of (G)ZDoom because it has UDMF (sodding flexible map format if I ever saw one) and decent modding capabilities that I actually understand.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 03:36:43 pm »

I currently use a ZDoom format, but I don't work any scripting into the maps, so they should largely be vanilla playable.

DarkerDark, they aren't co - op at the moment, but I'll go back over the older levels and put it in. ^_^

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 03:40:30 pm »

I currently use a ZDoom format, but I don't work any scripting into the maps, so they should largely be vanilla playable.

DarkerDark, they aren't co - op at the moment, but I'll go back over the older levels and put it in. ^_^
Really, if you're using a ZDoom based format you might as well roll with scripting; the map format itself, as far as I know, is something that won't be compatible with the barbones vanilla game (Let's be honest, who here runs MSDOS or Windows 95 to play Doom? And yes, some people use Chocolate Doom, I know, but really. ZDoom can into features. Let us into features, too.)
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 03:50:59 pm »

I've fiddled around with the Doom map builder but never finished building a level.

If you'd like I could probably build a complete level for you, but I can't promise it'll be all that great. 

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 12:45:06 pm »

Really, if you're using a ZDoom based format you might as well roll with scripting; the map format itself, as far as I know, is something that won't be compatible with the barbones vanilla game (Let's be honest, who here runs MSDOS or Windows 95 to play Doom? And yes, some people use Chocolate Doom, I know, but really. ZDoom can into features. Let us into features, too.)

I don't know of much scripting, but I'll look into it later. See what it can do. I rather like my vanilla doom, so I'd have to make it a separate project, but I do agree that the scripting can do good things (check out Tribute : This is not the best WAD in the world to see what I mean.)

I've fiddled around with the Doom map builder but never finished building a level.

If you'd like I could probably build a complete level for you, but I can't promise it'll be all that great. 

Bouchart, if you want to, it would be nice to play something from other forum users. ^_^

My levels aren't particularly good either. I try to capture somewhat of a Doom 1 mixed with Doom 2 feel. I know a lot of mappers use custom textures and such, but I stick with the vanilla stuff, mainly to keep it classic.

But if you just want another map full of enemies to shoot and secrets to discover, I'm sure they'll prove adequate.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:12:16 pm by Korbac »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 01:25:27 pm »

I used to play around fairly often in doom builder. Though I never actually finished a map. I might have to give it a try again sometime.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 03:47:51 pm »

Do you guys have a preferred file upload site you use? I was going to use /idgames, but that seems like a pain in the ass to use. :(

Edit : Wow, there seems to be a decent amount of you who like to map! :) Perhaps we could get a small, say, 10 - map community project going? :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:50:32 pm by Korbac »

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 04:51:06 pm »

I wouldn't use idgames anyway unless you really wanna have to go with the proper readme format and everything, do the FTP shit and then on top of all that expose it to doomworld newstuff reviewing.

Just use a filehosting site of some kind or dropbox or something.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 04:53:04 pm »

Do you guys have a preferred file upload site you use? I was going to use /idgames, but that seems like a pain in the ass to use. :(

Edit : Wow, there seems to be a decent amount of you who like to map! :) Perhaps we could get a small, say, 10 - map community project going? :)
I'd be up for that once I finish learning how to properly make a map.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: [1] 2 3