Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 180

Author Topic: Twitch plays pokemon!  (Read 197993 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Twitch plays pokemon!
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 06:47:26 pm »

It occurs to me that Pokemon can actually be brute forced because it completely lacks a lose state. Theoretically you could set up a bot that spams buttons that could eventually win the game although as previously mentioned the Safari Zone would likely be the biggest wall. 

at the risk of starting a big todo about this I feel like this is probably exactly why it was such a big hit

especially in the later games when the devs became aware of synergies between abilities (hello that one miltank in gold silver), they could be as nasty as they wanted without running the risk of making the player start over from a save point which could be miles away.

They admittedly didn't make huge efforts to be particularly nasty, but I found myself struggling with some gyms in black/white particularly, for instance!

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 07:01:04 pm »

Technically, there is a lose state. If you have insufficient funds to enter the Safari Zone, haven't yet gained the Surf HM, and don't have any undefeated trainers to beat up for pocket change, the game is unwinnable*.

I mention this because the chat keeps blacking out, meaning money isn't exactly abundant. And it's very unlikely they'll be getting through the Safari zone on their first attempt... or their hundredth... or their thousandth...

*You could maybe trade for a different Pokemon that already knows Surf. Was trading Pokemon with HM moves permitted in Gen I?

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 07:02:10 pm »

Technically, there is a lose state. If you have insufficient funds to enter the Safari Zone, haven't yet gained the Surf HM, and don't have any undefeated trainers to beat up for pocket change, the game is unwinnable*.

I mention this because the chat keeps blacking out, meaning money isn't exactly abundant. And it's very unlikely they'll be getting through the Safari zone on their first attempt... or their hundredth... or their thousandth...

*You could maybe trade for a different Pokemon that already knows Surf. Was trading Pokemon with HM moves permitted in Gen I?
That will almost certainly happen. Hacking will probably be required.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 07:06:04 pm »

Additionally, after enough time they'll activate subscriber mode like what they did to learn cut. The subscribers are slightly less likely to troll safari zone.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 07:08:12 pm »

Additionally, after enough time they'll activate subscriber mode like what they did to learn cut. The subscribers are slightly less likely to troll safari zone.
I think it says in the description that the subscriber mode thing isn't going to happen.

I've previously considered enabling sub-only mode for short moments to overcome difficult sections but I've cooled off on that idea and doubt I will consider it again.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 07:28:49 pm »

Stopped streaming, Twitch is just too laggy for it to work well.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 07:31:10 pm »

I remember almost 'losing' the game via not having enough cash for Safari Zone. I have a feeling that was a design error since it can throw you back like ~4 hours if you get stuck there. :(

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 07:32:40 pm »

This is amazing.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 07:34:03 pm »

Interestingly, apparently you could enter the Safari Zone with <$500 in Pokemon Yellow. The game reduced the number of Safari Balls you got proportionately, going down to 1 Safari Ball if you were totally broke. Nice of the devs to make the game unloseable, though I don't think it applies to Red/Blue.

Still doesn't help the fact that chat's random movements will exhaust the step counter before they get through the first area.  ::)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 07:45:01 pm »

THEY PASSED THE LEDGE SECTION! GET YOUR HYPE ON!
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 07:46:53 pm »

THEY PASSED THE LEDGE SECTION! GET YOUR HYPE ON!
PRAISE THE HELIX FOSSIL!

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 07:58:45 pm »

I imagine that when thousands of people inhabit the brain of one guy, this is what happens.

And it is hilarious to watch.

So, basically hyper-schizophrenia.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 08:10:57 pm »

I am so sad right now.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »

"I wonder if this is what its like for NPCs in pokemon.."
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 08:15:24 pm »

"I wonder if this is what its like for NPCs in pokemon.."
What if each NPC is actually the protagonist of another dimension's Twitch stream?

Think about it. Have you ever kept an eye on an NPC for six hours?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 180