Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 90

Author Topic: Thawed (Wrapping Up)  (Read 109351 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Thawed (Non-Training Montage 1--The Smugglers' Den)
« Reply #1020 on: April 03, 2014, 05:59:08 am »

See point two.
What if it was a Disney RTD?

But seriously, there are better ways to go about this like Harry Baldman's plan
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: April 03, 2014, 06:07:55 am »

They also do have at least one ally of note.

Remember the kingdom in Tangled? There's a lot of hints that the king and queen of Arendel are related to the former king and queen of there.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 03, 2014, 06:10:11 am »

Remember the kingdom in Tangled? There's a lot of hints that the king and queen of Arendel are related to the former king and queen of there.

((Haven't seen either Tangled or Frozen, so I have no idea what you're talking about. But tell me - would a reasonable king and queen be opposed to getting a little land from some deadbeat relatives who just happened to pass away from natural royal causes?

Also, guns. Where are the guns? Do cannons exist in this setting? It feels like they should - it is a medieval setting, after all.))
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:13:22 am by Harry Baldman »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: April 03, 2014, 06:13:03 am »

Considering that they seemed to be on good enough terms for the current king and queen to visit for the new queens coronation? It'd be like not protecting one of your traditional* allies against invasion.

(*Think the USA and England. Or France.)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 03, 2014, 06:26:10 am »

Considering that they seemed to be on good enough terms for the current king and queen to visit for the new queens coronation? It'd be like not protecting one of your traditional* allies against invasion.

((Lots of people visit for coronations, or at any other time, for that matter. Dastardly dukes, contemptible counts, perfidious princes and more. Just because two people appear to be on good terms doesn't really mean they necessarily are. The king (or queen) could be plotting the new queen's subjugation and demise even as she is crowned, since that's how political intrigue works. I don't see how a magic-user, particularly one responsible for a nigh-apocalyptic event, could be viewed as anything other than a very good target for assassination, particularly due to her isolation, lack of clout in political circles and reasonably young age. She's a mark if there's ever been one.

Besides, USA and England have only been allies since the tail end of World War I. USA and France you'd have a better case with, but still hardly the best example, given their lack of overlap in any interests for much of their history. And these, you must remember, are pseudo-medieval times. Everyone is related (if only tangentially in some cases) to one another in the top circles due to intermarriage, but that's not something that's ever stopped anyone in any time period.))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: April 03, 2014, 06:44:34 am »

Also, what politics are we looking at here? Are we using strictly eastern European or are we using the politics around Russia considering about where the movie takes place? Also, what about the trolls? That surely brings up the point that if the trolls get involved (which they likely will considering they live in arendelle.) what sort of havoc would the wreak? They can disguise themselves perfectly. They have magic that is apparently much more powerful than most magi's and, and this is most important, their magic is CONSISTENTLY powerful.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: April 03, 2014, 07:08:36 am »

Also, what politics are we looking at here? Are we using strictly eastern European or are we using the politics around Russia considering about where the movie takes place? Also, what about the trolls? That surely brings up the point that if the trolls get involved (which they likely will considering they live in arendelle.) what sort of havoc would the wreak? They can disguise themselves perfectly. They have magic that is apparently much more powerful than most magi's and, and this is most important, their magic is CONSISTENTLY powerful.

((No clue what you're talking about with the trolls. How relevant were they to the region, and how much do we know of their capabilities from firsthand accounts? And I don't see how the region would be particularly relevant, either. It's not like western Europe or, in fact, any part of the world or society is somehow the only place where people screw each other over for personal gain.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 03, 2014, 11:10:19 am »

Can you fetch me the specific scenes where he said those things and show me a lack of reaction by those around him?
Not without pirating the movie and taking a screenshot. Sorry.

And they were partially justified in that the main reason she would be is i something bad happened.
And no one reacts to him calling the queen and the host a monster, after it's cooled down (mostly). I'm not buying it.

You stated a few days. It normally mean more than one.
It was at least two days.

You haven't said anything against my argument. WHY WOULD HANS' BOTHERS NOT KEEP HIM LOCKED UP AS HE IS OBVIOUSLY A THREAT TO THEIR CLAIMS ON THE THRONE?
...Because they have no justification to do so? And because he's their brother?

He is obviously not favored by anyone so there is no reason the king would let him continue running amok, ecpseacially when he has, what, nine brothers that want him as far from the throne as possible?
Twelve. And he's not a threat; there's several other brothers who take much higher precedence. There's no way Hans would make it to the throne.
And Hans "ran amok"? What has Hans done? He's gone to a coronation in search of a wife, been accused of heinous crimes by his fiancee, and sent back home in disgrace.

And another thing, why would they let him make an army considering how easy it would be for him to force the next in line to give over the throne with one?
It's not Hans's army. He doesn't control it.

And why is it common knowledge that an argument caused the winter?
Yes. No one is going to notice that the host and queen of this kingdom and her sister had a shouting match in the middle of a crowded ballroom. And no one will make the connection between Elsa shouting at Anna and instantly things start icing.
Besides, even if people don't like magic, they probably have at least some knowledge about it--enough to know that that's plausible.

Also, we aren't considering that they would probably have alies in one other kingdom that had a movie.
What makes you think that the kingdom from Tangled was allied with Arendell...or that they would continue being their allies when the new queen bestowed winter on everyone, and also managed to piss off her biggest trading partner and the Southern Isles? Heck, just "she promptly cut off trade with Weselton for no reason" would be enough to make me think twice.

Though I suspect things may change by the end of this RP when some characters manage to hear Elsa's side of the story. Already they distrust...
Well, they might change. Honestly, I'm not sure how much a handful of magicians will be able to change the minds of multiple kingdoms.
They might get better, though.

Isn't Hans the youngest son, and pretty solidly at the bottom of his family's pecking order? Family pride does go a long way, but it's not like he's the favorite or the heir. It would be a more likely motivation if the king took it as an insult to his family honor, rather than his son's individual honor. Which all things considered, he might.
Honor is honor. Semantics aren't too important.

TBH, the setting didn't look medieval to me. We don't see any muskets, but people are wearing 18th century (1700's) clothing rather than medieval or Renaissance period dress.
And yet, we see kings and queens without evidence of parliament, small kingdoms, political marriages being...sorta started planning, at least. (Well, I kinda gathered that that's what the Duke was aiming for in that scene towards the beginning. And don't get me started on Hans.)
Besides, the parts inspired by medieval society are hardly the core. No matter what, Arendell's going to be going through some rocky years of diplomacy.

He can raise an army because he's a member of the royal family, and presumably holds some sort of position in the military there.
Or his dear old Dad can. Or the Duke, who Elsa slighted (and cut off trade with). Or the various peasants who lost crops to the freeze.

Though given that he knows that Elsa controls her emotions via love, why not just hire an assassin (male or female doesn't really matter) to seduce her and then stab her in the throat while in a kiss or having sex or something to that effect, since her dampening emotion would likely reduce her danger sense and not let her powers get too out of hand. It's what I'd do if I were playing in this game.
1. Remember what Hans said about Elsa in his Reveal Scene? "No one was getting anywhere with her." Seducing Elsa is easier said than done.
2. Elsa's assassination would kill Elsa, but it wouldn't help anything else. No glory for Hans, no bride or power for him, and...I'm sure there's something in it for the other people involved.
3. She controls her magic via love, not her emotions.

Disney people.
If we're bringing in that logic, Disney people wouldn't think of assassinations at all.

See point two.
What if it was a Disney RTD?
I'm willing to take Disney's settings and characters at times, but not their style.

Citations? Sure, they showed up, but so did the Prince of the Southern Isles, and the Duke of Weselton, and a bunch of unnamed guests. Probably most anyone who was associated with Arendell sent someone to the coronation...and they probably would cut associations once Elsa came out as a sorceress. And the person who caused a couple days of winter in the middle of summer, killing crops and all that.

Also, guns. Where are the guns? Do cannons exist in this setting? It feels like they should - it is a medieval setting, after all.))
I don't think so. They aren't in the source material.
...Unless there are some in Tangled.

Imagine if England caused a nuclear winter. Do you think we'd support their defense if France and Russia invaded them?

Also, what about the trolls? That surely brings up the point that if the trolls get involved (which they likely will considering they live in arendelle.) what sort of havoc would the wreak? They can disguise themselves perfectly. They have magic that is apparently much more powerful than most magi's and, and this is most important, their magic is CONSISTENTLY powerful.
And what do they do with it? They...heal Anna. The first time. Also, they make images in the air. And alter memories, slowly, a little, if they're close enough. Effective.
And there's only one who uses magic. And don't say that others can, too, but don't--no one else can check up on Anna until Pabbie shows up.

((No clue what you're talking about with the trolls. How relevant were they to the region, and how much do we know of their capabilities from firsthand accounts?
A fairly small band of trolls (about a foot or two tall and capable of disguising themselves as suspiciously spherical boulders) is seen a couple of times in the movie. The first time, the old King and Queen of Arendell bring Elsa and Anna to them after--"spoiler"--Elsa blasts Anna in the head with her icy magic. The eldest troll, named Pabbie or something like that, heals Anna, changes her memory of Elsa using magic to be just playing in the snow, and warns the King and Queen that "fear will be [Elsa's] worst enemy". The second time, Pabbie tells Anna that he can't help her. And, aside from choreography, no other troll shows magical ability.
And there's no mention of any other trolls. That particular band seems to be fairly far from the capital, and the royal family seems to have some kind of book about various magical creatures, so they definitely aren't common. Some are magical, but their magic is minor. And they don't exactly seem the warlike type. Maybe they can try to scare them off by singing Fixer-Upper.
Any other questions?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 03, 2014, 11:24:16 am »

Yes, can I leave? This isn't getting anywhere and is to grimdark to be of much interest.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 03, 2014, 12:08:56 pm »

...Grimdark? How is this grimdark?

It's darker than the original, sure, but the original was a Disney movie!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 03, 2014, 12:26:11 pm »

I wouldn't call it Grimdark. If anything, I'd say it's an "Avengers" style political-thriller-action-adventure sort of thing. Some guy with possible ulterior motives gathers a bunch of people with special talents and abilities together to face a greater threat? They initially distrust him and one another but (possibly) form a super-awesome team later? Someone should contrive a way for Hans to lose an eye...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:46 pm »

And it's boring.

There's no hook to the dark.

Why am I not having my character leavevthe camp in the dead of night to train himself or prevent the war?

The answer is because I am being polite.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 03, 2014, 02:34:26 pm »

And it's boring.

There's no hook to the dark.
There's not supposed to be a hook to the dark. The dark is there. Do you need a hook to exist for other tonal or stylistic issues?

Why am I not having my character leavevthe camp in the dead of night to train himself or prevent the war?

The answer is because I am being polite.
Or because it is an armed camp, and a way to not get prosecuted for having magic?
Sig

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 03, 2014, 02:35:35 pm »

Your point is?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 03, 2014, 02:43:46 pm »

For which part?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 90