Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 90

Author Topic: Thawed (Wrapping Up)  (Read 109453 times)

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
Re: Thawed (Characters Needed; 9?/6 Sheets but Not FCFS; You Can Still Apply)
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2014, 08:55:40 pm »

Yes. *rubs hands and writes*

1. How old is your character? 20-25
2. How long has it been since she "triggered"? A few years.
3. How did she get to be a captain? Captain who'd taken her in died in battle, which pissed her off, and then she manifested a large cloud of hydrogen around the enemy ships' sails before using a torch to ignite it, causing a rather impressive explosion. She then capitalized on this to basically convince everyone that pissing off the chick who can summon highly unstable, flammable gasses is a bad idea and also that other ships would likely surrender quicker like that.
4. How was she recruited? Eventually her luck caught up to her and she got arrested. Then she was given a choice: The gallows as a witch and pirate, or join the strike team and serve the country in return for possible pardon.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Thawed (Characters Needed; 6?/6 Sheets but Not FCFS; You Can Still Apply)
« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2014, 08:57:47 pm »

Mark: His pupils refract light in a rainbow of colors.
What, one person with multicolored eyes isn't enough?

Catalyst Emotion: Guardian instinct.
That's, um, not really emotional.

Trigger:  "What do you mean you burned The Guide to Sorcerer-made Races!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
Retreat:"Oh god where did this spire come from!?" (Same event.)
...?

Traits:
Eidetic Memory
OCD
I did say you get one free positive trait, right?
1. His are fluctuating-rainbow colored hers change color based on time of day. Subtle difference in theory but large in practice.
2.Yes it is. It's smiler to love but more angry.
3.Someone burned a library book by accident and in his guardian instinct induced rage he made several large crystal spires that launched him and several others out of town where he ran away.
4.I misread it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:06:57 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Thawed (Characters Needed; 8?/6 Sheets but Not FCFS; You Can Still Apply)
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2014, 09:08:55 pm »

Yes. *rubs hands and writes*

1. How old is your character? 20-25
2. How long has it been since she "triggered"? A few years.
3. How did she get to be a captain? Captain who'd taken her in died in battle, which pissed her off, and then she manifested a large cloud of hydrogen around the enemy ships' sails before using a torch to ignite it, causing a rather impressive explosion. She then capitalized on this to basically convince everyone that pissing off the chick who can summon highly unstable, flammable gasses is a bad idea and also that other ships would likely surrender quicker like that.
4. How was she recruited? Eventually her luck caught up to her and she got arrested. Then she was given a choice: The gallows as a witch and pirate, or join the strike team and serve the country in return for possible pardon.
1. Ah. Good to know.
2. The thing is...a big part of the reason that we need a whole team is that the queen has had years to practice, to get control over her magic. I'd like to request you at least max out your Control.
3. Well, you've got a point there I guess.
4. Ah.

Uhhhhh... Could you be more specific as to how they could use work..? Kiiiiinda hard to fix em if you don't say what's wrong. :I
Tweaks, mostly of the balance variety.

Er, why not? What's wrong with it? How about guilt? That was my original idea.
Well...catalyst emotions are supposed to be stronger emotions. Things that can grip you, take over your entire consciousness. They let you tap into magic, but make it harder to keep a clear mind with it. Fear, anger, passion. Active emotions. Curiosity is more of a character trait than an emotion, and while it inspires action is isn't very active in and of itself.
Guilt works great.

[qiote]
Fire is too easy. And I wanted to shoot hard-light laser beams at people that would miss and horribly maim everybody, and concentrate microwaves to cook men alive in their armor. :c
[/quote]
Yeah, well...the elements are supposed to be more or less solid things.

Mark: His pupils refract light in a rainbow of colors.
What, one person with multicolored eyes isn't enough?

Catalyst Emotion: Guardian instinct.
That's, um, not really emotional.

Trigger:  "What do you mean you burned The Guide to Sorcerer-made Races!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"
Retreat:"Oh god where did this spire come from!?" (Same event.)
...?

Traits:
Eidetic Memory
OCD
I did say you get one free positive trait, right?
1. His are fluctuating-rainbow colored hers change color based on time of day. Subtle difference in theory but large in practice.
2.Yes it is. It's smiler to love but more angry.
3.Someone burned a library book by accident and in his guardian instinct induced rage he made several large crystal spires that launched him and several others out of town where he ran away.
4.I misread it's fixed now.
1. Good thing that wasn't terribly serious, neh?
2. Then go with Anger or...Vengeance or something. "Guardian Instinct" is A. more of a trait than an emotion and B. isn't really full of emotion the way some emotions are. I'm not making sense, am I?
3. Sounds a lot more like "anger" than "guardian spirit". And that sounds good.
4. Yay.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2014, 09:16:48 pm »

It is anger but more specific. Guardian instinct is the way I'm using it the anger generated when something or someone you care about is currently being, threatened to be, or has been hurt or otherwise damaged. It's like the difference in anger if someone punched you in the face as opposed to punching your mother in the face. Both are anger but they are fundamentally different. Also, not to question your setting (which I think is fantastic) but didn't the youngest prince of the Southern Isles commit treason? The fact that he wasn't executed on the spot by ether kingdom (considering they are on good enough terms to be inviting princes to a coronation) is, I must say, mindbogglingly lenient.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 09:22:06 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2014, 09:17:24 pm »

Updated.

Also, I took anger, mang. :P
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2014, 09:19:35 pm »

It is anger but more specific. Guardian instinct is the way I'm using it the anger generated when something or someone you care about is currently being, threatened to be, or has been hurt or otherwise damaged.
So, basically you want anger, but you only want it in specific circumstances.

Updated.

Also, I took anger, mang. :P
Multiple people can try for the same emotion.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2014, 09:20:15 pm »

Hence the :P

Anyway yeah, anything else I can flesh out?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2014, 09:23:40 pm »

It's like the difference in anger if someone punched you in the face as opposed to punching your mother in the face. Both are anger but they are fundamentally different. Also, not to question your setting (which I think is fantastic) but didn't the youngest prince of the Southern Isles commit treason? The fact that he wasn't executed on the spot by ether kingdom (considering they are on good enough terms to be inviting princes to a coronation) is, I must say, mindbogglingly lenient.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #83 on: February 09, 2014, 09:26:07 pm »

-snip- Traits are unbalanced. -snip-
Yes, I figured that, but you're still not telling me what's wrong in particular! D: I'm totally fine with increased malus on my negative traits or whatever, but I'm not a mind reader so it'd be a lot easier if you just quote it and make the tweaks you think are necessary rather than having me just guess until I get it right, and then I'll edit your changes onto my sheet.

Guilt works great.
Changed to guilt.

Well its still a kind of energy that can be harnessed in interesting ways, which is why I chose it. I'd make light shields and weapons and stuff. And I'd also be practically kneecapped indoors and at night, if you're concerned about balance.

But if you still really want me to change it, I'll go with water, unless someone already has that?!!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 09, 2014, 09:31:46 pm »

Well its still a kind of energy that can be harnessed in interesting ways, which is why I chose it. I'd make light shields and weapons and stuff. And I'd also be practically kneecapped indoors and at night, if you're concerned about balance.

But if you still really want me to change it, I'll go with water, unless someone already has that?!!
-snip-
Rules of Magic
Magical Elements
Each sorcerer or sorceress has control of a general substance. Their powers with this substance are vast; they can create it in vast quantities, manipulate it, dispel it (with the right emotional state), and even create living creatures from it (with a bit of luck).-snip-

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2014, 09:48:17 pm »

Anyway yeah, anything else I can flesh out?
Hm...you're still one perk short, but aside from that I have no specific suggestions.

It's like the difference in anger if someone punched you in the face as opposed to punching your mother in the face. Both are anger but they are fundamentally different. Also, not to question your setting (which I think is fantastic) but didn't the youngest prince of the Southern Isles commit treason? The fact that he wasn't executed on the spot by ether kingdom (considering they are on good enough terms to be inviting princes to a coronation) is, I must say, mindbogglingly lenient.
Anger is anger. There's really not that much fundamental difference. It's not the origin, it's the journey. Or maybe the destination? I'm pretty sure journey fits better with the metaphor, but that might just be my point of view.
When did the youngest prince commit treason? Certainly, the sorceress-queen claimed such, but who do you think the King of the Southern Isles is going to believe: His own son, or the sorceress who put the land into winter for days, wronged said son, and stopped him from marrying the woman he loved? (Remember also that he is a consummate liar. And that people don't really like sorcerers. Also remember that there is precisely zero proof that he tried to kill the princess; it would be perfectly easy to claim that he thought she was dead, especially with a little testimony from Olaf. All you could catch him on is claiming he and Anna already got married, and that's if Anna actually heard that Hans said that and managed to get this information to the Southern Isles...and deceit isn't much of a charge, especially since Hans could easily claim that he was trying to prevent a war over the throne--pretty common when there isn't a good successor--and perhaps say something about bringing glory to the Southern Isles.
I've overthought this a little.)

-snip- Traits are unbalanced. -snip-
Yes, I figured that, but you're still not telling me what's wrong in particular! D: I'm totally fine with increased malus on my negative traits or whatever, but I'm not a mind reader so it'd be a lot easier if you just quote it and make the tweaks you think are necessary rather than having me just guess until I get it right, and then I'll edit your changes onto my sheet.
Ah.
Well, one big thing is that Malignant Curse doesn't have much of an effect on you. Aside from that, most of the stuff is stuff I'd be handling in my secret GM tweaking chamber.

I do not believe anyone does. Water is open.
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 09, 2014, 09:56:53 pm »

Second perk added. I considered calling it 'tau of the Honey Badger', but ended up just using the GURPS name.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2014, 09:58:26 pm »

It can be a thing. (It'll also help avoid Stress, which is kinda important, neh?)
Sig

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2014, 10:03:01 pm »

It can be a thing. (It'll also help avoid Stress, which is kinda important, neh?)

Yes. Yes it would. And yes it is. Negatives to rolls are baaaad.

:P her character seems to be developing.

Rage-prone pirate captainess, used to getting her way by force if not by sheer presence, who over the years has been exposed to sufficient strangeness and loss to have any remaining shits worn away to the point that not even the most extravagant display of magic or debauchery affects her, remaining stalwart and enthusiastic all the way as a front if not in actuality. I haven't decided on that quite yet.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2014, 10:05:18 pm »

I do not believe anyone does. Water is open.

I almost did, but I can't settle on a character idea aaaaaaaaa

(Also, wouldn't light and sound be just as manipulable as fire? Creation/Manipulation/Negation thereof has several obvious and useful applications)
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 90