Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Diplomacy Simulator 2014 (In development)  (Read 22494 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Diplomacy Simulator 2014 (Shortish community game project)
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 07:12:50 pm »

I can do coding. It seems I missed today's meeting though.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:15 pm »

Thanks to everyone who's offering bits of help, I'll let you know once I'm ready to start distributing tasks.

I think playable version 1 will just be a dinner party with the same meal each time, but with randomized seating. Diplomats should have different preset personalities. I'm not expecting any diplomatic goals other than 'Humanity survives' at first.

Should diplomats be fairly normal elite diplomat-types, or heavily stereotypical and not entirely sane?

[....] I think a better antagonist might be some kind of suave super-spy type trying to get drunk and have a good time.
I like this idea for the protagonist, minus the suave super-spy part. At the start, you're sober. The controls are fairly easy, and behave semi-intelligently. You have to almost be trying if you want to backhand your wine into your neighbor, or you'll just automatically pick it up and/or stabilize it. As you drink, the 'help' stops, and the hand starts to behave more like it's tethered to the cursor with elastic. Your score steadily increases based on intoxication (Such that two drinks at the start of the meal will be worth more much than four after it ends).

I can do coding. It seems I missed today's meeting though.
You're the only other person I've seen in the channel.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 04:26:15 pm »

Mix of both, depending on difficulty/random chance. The normal elite diplomats will just go "neh" at basically anything except dedicated insults/actual attacks, but the extremely mad ones will sound off at random infractions. There could also be extremely uptight but not completely mad diplomats who have actual triggers that should just make a normal person annoyed but make them nuke-happy.

Also, here's a question: fictional countries or real?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 04:39:31 pm »

On the one hand, not insulting anybody by having their diplomat be offensively stereotypical is a plus. On the other hand, it's just not very funny to have the ambassador of The Greater Harmonious Empire of The Infinite Sunburst be be ster--

Actually, yes it is, if the country names are that out there.

Community submission time!
Anyone want to suggest a fictional country and how their diplomat(s) should act (and dress)? A pool of 15-20 would be good for the first release. I can't promise that they're be included, I'll likely modify them, and the only compensation will be a spot in the credits, if you want it. I like Fniff's ideas of three different main types of diplomats, but if you can think of another type, go ahead and submit it. Nations may have multiple representatives, but each meal will only have one.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 04:41:36 pm »

Mix of both, depending on difficulty/random chance. The normal elite diplomats will just go "neh" at basically anything except dedicated insults/actual attacks, but the extremely mad ones will sound off at random infractions. There could also be extremely uptight but not completely mad diplomats who have actual triggers that should just make a normal person annoyed but make them nuke-happy.

I agree with the mix of both.    Lower difficulty will be trained diplomats who have sane reactions while the highest difficulty diplomats believe that you picking up red wine with your hand at a ten degree angle relative to the ground is a deep insult to their mother.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 04:48:57 pm »

On the one hand, not insulting anybody by having their diplomat be offensively stereotypical is a plus. On the other hand, it's just not very funny to have the ambassador of The Greater Harmonious Empire of The Infinite Sunburst be be ster--

Actually, yes it is, if the country names are that out there.
Go the Papers Please method: have them be subtle but basically fill the roles of their countries. I'd suggest at least two powers in a cold war for one, though maybe not something as obvious as communists vs capitalists. Perhaps something more absurd. Bacon-eaters versus Tie-wearers?

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 04:51:21 pm »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 05:08:34 pm »

I meant the drink-loving suave type as a replacement for the "assassin" in a versus mode (since assassinating people seems a bit overpowered in a game about avoiding the slightest breach of etiquette), hence the antagonist. The protagonist would probably be a very conscientious type, perhaps somewhat untrained.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 05:14:22 pm »

Maybe a really idealistic but extremely untrained diplomat from a fairly backwater country that's come across extreme mineral wealth and is now the country equal of a Nouveau Riche? It would explain why a country would send a diplomat that regularly (At least, has the potential to) cause nuclear war: they really aren't experienced in the art of diplomacy.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:15:55 pm by Fniff »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 05:16:03 pm »

by the gods

i am posting to watch this so hard there are going to be people falling off of guard towers in amounts larger than that one overly long joke about grandfathers in auschwitz

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 05:47:26 pm »

Maybe a really idealistic but extremely untrained diplomat from a fairly backwater country that's come across extreme mineral wealth and is now the country equal of a Nouveau Riche? It would explain why a country would send a diplomat that regularly (At least, has the potential to) cause nuclear war: they really aren't experienced in the art of diplomacy.

Such a logical explanation for nuclear war does not befit a game where it happens because someone bumped into a waiter.

But I do like the idea that the home country is the kind that would field guys like this for the olympics:
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2014, 06:04:25 pm »

Yeah, I think for maximum effect every country should be some flavor of horribly incompetent/bastardly.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 06:21:30 pm »

So are we taking suggestions for country names, styles, and behaviors?
I can't code competently yet(I'm taking a computer science class for C#, but I'm only halfway through the first year), but I would be willing to help with writing/creative ideas.

Also, harder difficulties could be countries more like you, but less idealistic. At the top levels of difficulty, maybe you would not only have to not be annoying yourself, but also look out and try to prevent other diplomats from causing nuclear war with their behavior.

Also, I think that a good idea for a country is one in which eye contact is considered lewd, so making eye contact will either embarrass or enrage the diplomat, depending on the individual diplomat.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 07:04:10 pm »

The Gloriously United Democratic Republic Of Cranistan.
The diplomat is not very interested in etiquette(eats like a pig), but he's very nuke happy.
Dresses in some sort of military uniform.
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:33 pm »

The Federated Cities of Toloso.
An extremely rich and shady nation that has a lot of crime connections. The diplomat is clearly on drugs. He occasionally takes "breaks" from the dinner table where he leaves the room for a random amount of time, maybe 3-5 minutes. When he comes back, he is either Stimulated (Extremely easy to piss off even if you aren't doing anything) or Mellow (Doesn't really care about anything but steadily annoys the other guests). Luckily his nation doesn't have many nukes, so he only gets nuke happy when his annoyance meter goes through the roof.
Dressed in a white suit with a Hawaiian shirt. Red-eyed.

The Most Holy Nation, Blessed by the Spirit, the Ratico
Basically this world's equal of the Vatican. The diplomat is offended by morally unrighteous things (Such as drinking wine or staring at women) but also tries to do the same things if no-one's looking, and will attempt to nuke you if you spot him and he realizes it n order to save grace. Yes, this world's equal of the Vatican has nukes.
Dressed in a white cardinal's robe.

Union of Unknown Unified Usurpers
One of the major powers. Possesses secret files he occasionally looks at, but if you look at them he immediately nukes you. Sometimes you get the objective to read his files without him spotting you.
Dressed in a long black trenchcoat, wide-brimmed fedora, and face-covering scarf that just leaves two ominous yellow eyes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12