Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Into Empty Skies - [1][6][Hilarity ensues]  (Read 21898 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: Into Empty Skies - and another one gone, another one gone
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2014, 03:03:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's fugly and sketchy, but my fingers are clumsy. Nothing on this image is to scale.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2014, 06:42:24 pm »

((Sorry, I have been busy!))

"PULL UP YOU MANIAC!"Kelly shouts at Theo. Throw bomb at nearest conceivable enemy. "I'll get this bomb shit right one day!"

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 14, 2014, 11:32:34 am »

Pull up the plane.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2014, 02:37:28 pm »

DAAAAAF...you promised!

Okay, it seems I'm going to the DPT again.

This is my third game so far, and it's going the shittiest. I'm doing something wrong, but I just can't get a hold of what exactly. It's probably that the whole setup with planes doesn't leave a player many options for actions, leading to people ending up with actions like "fly around". It seems to be an inherent fault in the format. Or maybe I'm just managing something incorrectly? Damn my ass for starting something this specific.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2014, 02:38:49 pm »

I think you're doing a good job, and it looks fun to me.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2014, 02:39:44 pm »

I guess you could give some suggested action for the current situation to help players out? That's what I would do, anyway.
You're doing a good job otherwise, it's propably simply that few people here actually know what to do with planes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2014, 02:40:07 pm »

Well, it's fun, but there're not that much options. I mean, you have one decision (whom to shoot) spread out over 2 people.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2014, 02:49:44 pm »

Turn the plane around to go assist the bomber. They don't look too good right now.

Sorry, I've been really messing up as of late.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2014, 02:53:31 pm »

Well, it's fun, but there're not that much options. I mean, you have one decision (whom to shoot) spread out over 2 people.
Yep, I know. It's just that I'm a bit of a nerd on the whole topic, so I planned to introduce new types of planes in realistic order. However, I may introduce single-man fighters and torpedo craft earlier than I planned to keep things interesting.

I guess you could give some suggested action for the current situation to help players out? That's what I would do, anyway.
You're doing a good job otherwise, it's propably simply that few people here actually know what to do with planes.
Well, in general, the mission was to reconnoiter and destroy everything that can easily be destroyed, with the second point being less important. I guess you could just scram, or get closer looks at any important-seeming objects and then scram.

For the second point, it's just that I wrote the OP on the spur of the moment - a kind of "who in the world could think this isn't awesome" thing. In retrospect, not all of that was a good idea.

Turn the plane around to go assist the bomber. They don't look too good right now.

Nothing to be sorry about - I've messed up as well. Okay, update in a hour or so.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 17, 2014, 03:06:33 pm »

You're doing fine in my opinion. Once you get people shooting lots of other planes it should pick up nicely.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
Re: Into Empty Skies - wherein the GM has an existential dilemma
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2014, 05:07:40 pm »

Yeah, the reason my replies are so slow is I'm so busy with real life I forget. It's a cool concept, I want it to keep going.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2014, 06:16:40 pm »

Bomber:
Pull up the plane.
((Sorry, I have been busy!))
"PULL UP YOU MANIAC!"Kelly shouts at Theo. Throw bomb at nearest conceivable enemy. "I'll get this bomb shit right one day!"
At Kelly's shout, Theo grabs on to the yoke and pulls the plane up in a curve: the broken aileron doesn't affect the maneuver, since vertical control is executed by the elevators on the tail, not the ailerons.
[5] Kelly staunchly ignores the blood streaming down his chest, lifting a 10-kg charge up with a grunt and tossing it overboard at one of the smaller ships. It goes right through the deck near the aft of it and explodes. Then there's another boom and a burst of acrid smoke: it seems that the battleship's diesel engine is done for. Fire spreads over the deck from the impact point.
The plane crosses over from the barracks to the eastern artillery emplacements.

Okay, a note: in general, you don't have to roll for basic maneuvers like raising height or speed, but you have to if the relevant parts are damaged, with a bonus or males depending on the severity of the damage. For example, the bomber rolls at a +2 to make a turn, since one of the ailerons is lightly damaged.

Height: 50 m
Speed: 60 km/h
Fuel: 1 hr 20 mins
Ammo: 5 5kg, 1 10kg

Gunner#2:

((Whoops. Though I had already posted.))

Well, I hope our bomber starts dropping bombs on targets soon, enough. Anyway, let's check out those mortars.

Open fire at the mortars, if I can.

((A persistent map description might be nice, but is not required.))

Delia speeds up to catch up with the bomber. On her way from the barracks to the artillery emplacements, she sees Kelly drop a bomb on one of the battleships in the harbor. As she passes above it, its aft deck is already burning merrily, emitting clouds of smoke. White-uniformed figures scramble all over it with pumps and buckets, trying to put it out, but their lack of cohesion is so marked that the fire is gaining ground despite their efforts. Boats are being lowered. Delia can read the name on the side of the ship, written in flowery Eastern script: Majesty. Above it are Rahu glyphs.

The gunner comes up right behind the bomber and matches speeds with it. Robert holds his gun firmly and fires down at the strange artillery pieces. He doesn't know if he did any actual damage, but he gets a closer look at the things. It doesn't really look like they're mortars - the barrels are completely inside the trench. It is impossible to tilt them in the direction of the sea. But they are leaning on rails, and there's a suspicious amount of space behind them.

Height: 50 m
Speed: 60 km/h
Fuel: 2 hrs 45 mins
Ammo: 5 mags

Ship:
As Wilkinson enters the bridge, he is surprised by the strange quiet that hangs in the large, airy room. The controls are in front of the windows on the opposite side of the door: through those, daylight streams over the wide metal table in the center of the room, and the enormous pile of papers on it. There's a mirror on the wall, its curtains drawn back for the day.
Wilkinson approaches the table. All in all, there's nothing weird about the bridge being empty while the ship awaits the scouts' return. There's a backup set of controls in the room below, and there's probably somebody on duty there.
Wilkinson casts a glance over the papers on the table while he waits for somebody to show up. A thing catches his eye, like a face in the corner of his vision: a start and a shiver. It's a pencil sketch - just some lightly-drawn lines interlocking in geometric patterns.

He cannot look at the sketch.

He forces himself to trace the lines with his gaze, to hold the whole picture in his mind.

He cannot look at it.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2014, 06:28:47 pm »

"And take that! Now about this bleeding..."Staunch bleeding, if I still have time throw bomb at artillery.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2014, 01:57:14 pm »

((Rockets then...))

Well, this is a harbor, so they should be storing ammunition somewhere

Look around for things that look like ammunition or fuel stores.

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2014, 10:30:59 pm »

attempt to describe to myself what the fuck that drawing is.

((I seriously cannot find an IC reason to explain this to myself, but you're foreshadowing to much for me to not be intrigued :P))
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13