Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Toaster Vs Piecewise: Knock out is an Understatement  (Read 36812 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Toaster Vs Piecewise: Knock out is an Understatement
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:40:45 pm »

So...lets just say you were some sort of martial arts master who is going to enroll in a martial arts tournament...What kind of weapon would you like to use? Bonus points if it doesn't show up on this list.

Unarmed
Fist weapons (Claws, push daggers, etc)
Curved swords
Daggers
Straight swords
Thrusting swords
Cleavers
Great swords
War pick
Ax
Clubs
Spears
Polearm
Chains
Hammers

No guns. No ranged weapons (Outside of like, say, throwing daggers and ninja stars and such.) Only fox. Final destination.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:06:06 pm by piecewise »

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Puppets.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currency.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

AU-range relativistic antimatter missiles.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

It'd depend on what sort of martial arts tournament it is - an actual competition to determine who's best or Mortal Kombat?

If the previous, probably some kind of blunt, long hook or unarmed combat. If the latter, daggers, because shanking people at the closest of ranges is useful. Especially if they don't have a dagger themselves.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

AU-range relativistic antimatter missiles.
Slap

Currency.

MO Money mo problems

It'd depend on what sort of martial arts tournament it is - an actual competition to determine who's best or Mortal Kombat?

If the previous, probably some kind of blunt, long hook or unarmed combat. If the latter, daggers, because shanking people at the closest of ranges is useful. Especially if they don't have a dagger themselves.
Think more DBZ martial arts championship (if you know if it)  then mortal combat.  Fights are not explicitly to the death...but it can happen. Also, you can do superhuman things. Not DBZ levels but....Has anyone ever read "The Breaker"?

Puppets.
Been watching naruto, friendo?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

A bō.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A shield of some sort that's strong and not heavy, then.
Sig! Onol

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Unarmed, knife, staff, and chain.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

A suicide bomber's vest.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Afraid I'm not familiar with the championship you're describing - my question was mostly whether there were explicit rules (like 'don't shank people') to keep people safe and whether it was a competition - where there would be a panel of judges and stuff - or until a 'defeat' is suffered (whether through surrender, extreme blood loss or some other factor). Seems like it's the classic dueling type of tournament, so you've answered my question.

And if humans can do superhuman things anyway, the choice of a weapon probably doesn't matter all that much. The whole point of a weapon is to do nasty things to people that your fists can't. With that in mind... maybe handcuffs would be a good idea. Like cuffing your opponents hands together. Then again, might not always work and a chain may work just as well.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile

A bō.
Heeeeey.... I was gonna choose that!

A plate of glass. Very easy to break over someone's head and then proceed to stab them with all of sharp bits.

For an answer on the list, probably a bō staff, a dagger made of ice, or a mameluke sword.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

A bō.

Unarmed, knife, staff, and chain.
How did I forget staff? Stupid me. We were shy one whole ninja turtle!

Wait...what would nunchucks be considered....probably clubs actually.

Puppets.
Been watching naruto, friendo?
Nope, reading Homestuck.
Wouldn't know then.

A suicide bomber's vest.
Slap
A shield of some sort that's strong and not heavy, then.
You know, I've seen people do dual shield runs in dark souls.

Pretty funny.

Afraid I'm not familiar with the championship you're describing - my question was mostly whether there were explicit rules (like 'don't shank people') to keep people safe and whether it was a competition - where there would be a panel of judges and stuff - or until a 'defeat' is suffered (whether through surrender, extreme blood loss or some other factor). Seems like it's the classic dueling type of tournament, so you've answered my question.

And if humans can do superhuman things anyway, the choice of a weapon probably doesn't matter all that much. The whole point of a weapon is to do nasty things to people that your fists can't. With that in mind... maybe handcuffs would be a good idea. Like cuffing your opponents hands together. Then again, might not always work and a chain may work just as well.
Think...sort like gladiators. There are no real rules, but the fights usually aren't to the death, it's till the opponent concedes.

And the superhuman stuff is only sorta superhuman? And the more outrageous it is, the more difficult it is to do, so weapon choice will still matter to a degree.  Though, you could fist fight a knight with a claymore and win, so there's that.

WHIPS! I forgot whips.

A bō.
Heeeeey.... I was gonna choose that!

A plate of glass. Very easy to break over someone's head and then proceed to stab them with all of sharp bits.

For an answer on the list, probably a bō staff, a dagger made of ice, or a mameluke sword.
Hmm. I may want to have a skill for improvised weapons...I MEAN THIS IS COMPLETELY HYPOTHETICAL.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I pretty much exclusively go adventuring in DF with 2 shields and really good armor, so I figure it might work here.
Sig! Onol
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23