Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2169 2170 [2171] 2172 2173 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496879 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32550 on: September 15, 2016, 06:13:18 pm »

I've been thinking about flying precisely because flying kind of makes designing areas infinitely harder. Either you need to keep them enclosed or you need to give reasons why flying is bad. Because if not you could just fly to the end of every area.

possible limiters to flying as an OP mechanic
a) Significant parts of Oro are underground/ inside megalithic buildings / in jungle and other terrain oddities.
b) high flight is restricted either by environmental hazards such as wind, radiation, meteors, lightning.
c) low flight, but still 'above' areas are prone to anti air attacks from demons specifically spawned for such. This isn't Meta, by the way: why wouldn't a living thing have such defenses? Thing of anemones, for example.
d) flight above areas is monitored, and attracts significant attention.
e) flight grants little combat advantage. Some advantages, such as 'high ground' or 'rush attack' could be applied, but they could be gained by other means as well.
f) anything as large as a human is not a natural flyer (mechanical flyers notwithstanding). Flying could have significant dexterity maluses attached.

that's just off the top of my head.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32551 on: September 15, 2016, 06:40:54 pm »

I'm probably gonna say only you can do your own bits because otherwise we're gonna have the dedicated limb man and then a bunch of super troopers

The main idea behind multiple types of limbs and hands and such is versatility more than just hitting loads of times. Having a sword, a gun, a club and a poison stinger, for instance. So extra hands wouldn't be needed as far as I'm concerned. We could change it to be you can only attack with one particular part or weapon per turn, but in the case of say, an enemy that is weak to a certain weapon or damage type, it seems silly to say "Yes, I know you can hit fast enough to strike 3 times in a row, but no, you may only use your demon bane sword once. The others must be kicks."

The idea behind the speed is really that in order to get off any significant number of attacks, you really have to be fast. An 8 armed monster will more have the advantage of lots of kinds of damage and being just a big damage sponge. Like DF cave spiders before aimed shots where you just cleaved at a million legs for eternity while they tore you apart.  And really, part of the reason I like the gamble method better is because it kind of makes sense to me that if you attempt to do a bunch of attacks you might end up fucking up. Over extending yourself. Maybe less have a back fire and more the enemy just gets a counter hit? But the idea is that if you fail a roll then your sequence ends. You can't just line up 10 attacks and then fail 7 and determinatly chop yourself in half with a half dozen self attacks.

As per the giant parts, What I would probably do is like, the individual parts of the giant arm would be a single slot. Like a giant fist is one slot. But like, two parts? Maybe 3 slots. And a whole arm? Maybe 4. Because a giant arm that reaches below your knee isn't really normal right? But not THAT abnormal, so only a little outside.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32552 on: September 15, 2016, 08:05:42 pm »

Hmm. About flight, I don't think it would be too OP in the section of ORO you showed me. You can get to different parts easily, right, but unless you have a lot of buddies with wings as well you'll be outnumbered once you get there, and outfitting a bunch of people with wings costs a lot of resources that could be spent making them better at fighting.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32553 on: September 15, 2016, 08:55:36 pm »

Hmm. About flight, I don't think it would be too OP in the section of ORO you showed me. You can get to different parts easily, right, but unless you have a lot of buddies with wings as well you'll be outnumbered once you get there, and outfitting a bunch of people with wings costs a lot of resources that could be spent making them better at fighting.
True enough.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32554 on: September 16, 2016, 01:54:22 pm »

I'm looking at stealing d100 basic's rules. Ie, stats are measured in point values between 1-100 and the stats act as bonuses to a roll of d100, with a target number depending on action. Ie, you have a skill of 43, and I roll d100+43 for use of that skill, aiming to get above 120 or something similar.  It has a few benefits:

1. The bonuses gained from limbs and such don't have to be as carefully balanced. In a d10 game or something, the difference between a +2 and +4 is massive. In this game there's a lot more wiggle room and we avoid fractions.

2. Opposed tasks are an easy matter of comparing the numbers of the opponents. Whoever rolls highest wins, and if they roll much higher they get some benefit.

3. It has a built in system of putting exp towards accomplishing tasks. We can either use that to allow players to burn humanity to increase their chances or maybe "Burn biomass" by using up the build up of eaten demon parts that are going towards your next level.

4. It has built in systems for dealing bonus damage via stat or skill increases. Ie Weapon deals damage equal to base damage + whatever amount you beat the defense roll, and your attack roll is your attack stat +d100. So the better your attack stat, the better your chance of succeeding in an attack AND the more damage you do.

There are  a few things to work out though: Namely things like HP of parts (we want them to be able to be cut away, but not too flimsy), the method of leveling (basically just the numbers involved and how they scale) the relation between the humanity stat, the level of regen and the amount you have at any one time along with the cost of using things.

There's a question, also, if skills should be involved here. It might provide some versatility but I'm leaning away from it in favor of staying simple.

I also need to work out methods of doing grappling and targeted shots. Because the parts left after killing a critter are random, but you can grab and cleave off parts you want while they're still alive.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32555 on: September 16, 2016, 03:40:30 pm »

So, without knowing much, how would you guys distribute stats?

Str
Speed
Int
Heart

270 points to spread among them.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32557 on: September 16, 2016, 05:17:14 pm »

str: 35
spd: 35
int: 100
heart:100

str: 90
spd: 35
int: 75
heart:80

str: 35
spd: 100
int: 60
heart: 75

I would tend to favor heart in all builds, because it determines your ability to build upon your stats - to gain weapons, defense, and mobility. Additionally, I would favor int generally for the same reason. Seems like it would primarily boil down (for me)_ to a choice of whether I wanted to be a heavy hitter or a fast striker.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32558 on: September 16, 2016, 06:20:54 pm »

It does make sense to put Speed over 100, because if I understand it right, that'll make "average" dodge checks auto-succeed. Hmm.

The Flash:
Str 30
Speed 200
Int 20
Heart 20
Could maybe dodge anything?

It does seem a bit unclear what differentiates Int and Heart. Both are needed for part-swapping, how are they different from just having one part swapping stat that costs double?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32559 on: September 16, 2016, 06:33:53 pm »

Str 50
Speed 100
Int 50
Hear 70
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:41:13 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32560 on: September 16, 2016, 06:38:28 pm »

It does make sense to put Speed over 100, because if I understand it right, that'll make "average" dodge checks auto-succeed. Hmm.

The Flash:
Str 30
Speed 200
Int 20
Heart 20
Could maybe dodge anything?

It does seem a bit unclear what differentiates Int and Heart. Both are needed for part-swapping, how are they different from just having one part swapping stat that costs double?

100 is stat max, Except for heart. Heart has no max.

By the way, 100 is the "Normal" difficulty roll so those of you with very low scores might have a bad time.

Int and Heart are differentiated in that Heart is your humanity stat and Int is just the stat used to put the part on. Heart is used for all things centered around staying human and having the humanity to power your parts, while Int covers everything from first aid, to driving a car or anything "Mental"
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:49:26 pm by piecewise »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32561 on: September 16, 2016, 08:16:02 pm »

could I get a PM when oro starts? im not interested in Tinker For Game Systems, so I'm going to stop watching this thread for now.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32562 on: September 16, 2016, 09:58:47 pm »

could I get a PM when oro starts? im not interested in Tinker For Game Systems, so I'm going to stop watching this thread for now.
Watch the oro thread, I'll start posting there when things start happening.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32563 on: September 16, 2016, 10:42:59 pm »

100 is stat max, Except for heart. Heart has no max.

By the way, 100 is the "Normal" difficulty roll so those of you with very low scores might have a bad time.
now you tell us.

so, 270/4 = 67.5.
Average starting stat of about that - what are the odds for a normal roll?
What are the odds for a stat of 45? 55? 65? 75?  is it a percentage?

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32564 on: September 16, 2016, 10:55:35 pm »

Hmm...

Str 60
Spd 60
Int 60
Hrt 90
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 2169 2170 [2171] 2172 2173 ... 2205