Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1485 1486 [1487] 1488 1489 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2488286 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #22290 on: September 20, 2015, 02:25:37 pm »

Just found out that PW started the "draw your adventures" thread.

Never knew that.
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22291 on: September 20, 2015, 02:30:35 pm »

Though if this was an assignment, damn. Whoever assigned it is a cruel, cruel individual in that case.
I would do this to students in a college or higher level class. Mostly in a science, religion, communications, mathematics, or rhetoric class. To teach people to spot logical fallacies. Give them just, like all the fallacies for easy spotting. then move up to advertisements and political ads. and then, move on to the hard stuf, like actual intelligent conversation.

I'd like people in charge of our knowledge, ethics, and communication to be able to reason, to recognize reason, and to recognize blathering idiocy. I'd also like them to respect people who disagree, but who do so intelligently.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22292 on: September 20, 2015, 02:32:00 pm »

And the five students you had left would be truly brilliant people :P

Naah, that would be a good mental excercise. Though I suspect that's not the whole reason PW is doing it.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22293 on: September 20, 2015, 02:32:34 pm »

The Shiva Worshiping scientists at CERN are using a particle accelerator to reanimate human corpses using the souls of the half human spawn of fallen angels.

Yeah, there are a lot of idiots on YouTube who seem to think that the LHC is going to open a portal to Hell- they like to throw around words like "dimensions" and "frequencies", concepts they have only vague grasps of. And Obama and the Pope are somehow involved, because Illuminati. Or maybe it's those naughty Jews.

On a related note: Persons suffering dementia, in particular Alzheimer's, experience a phenomenon in which they cannot find the appropriate and typical words to describe common things. As a result, their minds latch onto related words and phrases, and they often speak in unusual, though occasionally quite picturesque, ways. the example I remember reading is an elderly grandparent describing his very young grandchild as "the one who fills the room with tornadoes." Not wholly inappropriate, but there are many more confusing examples (probably). This phenomenon is known as "word salad."

I know someone who isn't elderly at all who struggles with this. She doesn't have dementia, she just... loses words. She typically has to describe things when this happens- the thing you put water in, the thing with the buttons, etcetera.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22294 on: September 20, 2015, 02:44:59 pm »

Just found out that PW started the "draw your adventures" thread.

Never knew that.
And I completely forgot about that.

The Shiva Worshiping scientists at CERN are using a particle accelerator to reanimate human corpses using the souls of the half human spawn of fallen angels.

Yeah, there are a lot of idiots on YouTube who seem to think that the LHC is going to open a portal to Hell- they like to throw around words like "dimensions" and "frequencies", concepts they have only vague grasps of. And Obama and the Pope are somehow involved, because Illuminati. Or maybe it's those naughty Jews.

On a related note: Persons suffering dementia, in particular Alzheimer's, experience a phenomenon in which they cannot find the appropriate and typical words to describe common things. As a result, their minds latch onto related words and phrases, and they often speak in unusual, though occasionally quite picturesque, ways. the example I remember reading is an elderly grandparent describing his very young grandchild as "the one who fills the room with tornadoes." Not wholly inappropriate, but there are many more confusing examples (probably). This phenomenon is known as "word salad."

I know someone who isn't elderly at all who struggles with this. She doesn't have dementia, she just... loses words. She typically has to describe things when this happens- the thing you put water in, the thing with the buttons, etcetera.
Oh believe me, I know this all too well.

On the plus side, it means I get to use the DOOM soundtrack plenty of times.

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22295 on: September 20, 2015, 03:00:20 pm »

This is me.  My internal dictionary isn't bad, but my internal thesaurus is horrible.  So I end up losing words and grasping for a descriptive metaphor.  It's only really an issue when talking to people, though.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22296 on: September 20, 2015, 03:06:55 pm »

https://youtu.be/s2MiGPQleXw

Anyway, conspiracy videos are fun. I remember one that claimed that the earth was the centre of the universe and that "those sun centrists are distorting history and science!".

I've actually heard that LHC one before. Nice to see that that insanity is international. I know it because there's a guy selling conspiracy theory books on TV late at night. I watch him when I want to have a laugh or get bored to sleep. He also claimed that some sort of thing with a strange name (think it was Hebrew) was being summoned inside LHC but "God's warlord" (who wields a magical sword and is somehow related with Putin), single-handedly invaded the LHC facilities and destroyed them, which was responsible for the setbacks (and showed some pictures of molten wires to support his claims). Worst part is that he claims to be a physicist, but I can't imagine who would give that guy a physics degree when he fails at it so hard.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22297 on: September 20, 2015, 03:34:46 pm »

Anyway, conspiracy videos are fun. I remember one that claimed that the earth was the centre of the universe and that "those sun centrists are distorting history and science!".

I've actually heard that LHC one before. Nice to see that that insanity is international. I know it because there's a guy selling conspiracy theory books on TV late at night. I watch him when I want to have a laugh or get bored to sleep. He also claimed that some sort of thing with a strange name (think it was Hebrew) was being summoned inside LHC but "God's warlord" (who wields a magical sword and is somehow related with Putin), single-handedly invaded the LHC facilities and destroyed them, which was responsible for the setbacks (and showed some pictures of molten wires to support his claims). Worst part is that he claims to be a physicist, but I can't imagine who would give that guy a physics degree when he fails at it so hard.
That would make a helluva movie.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22298 on: September 20, 2015, 03:59:23 pm »

Yes. It may be the only thing that could reinvigorate Micheal Bay's career.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22299 on: September 20, 2015, 04:06:34 pm »

The thing is that getting a Phd has never proven you are "Logical" or "Sensical" or even "Sane". Just proves you have a hell of a lot of time, a lot of money, and the ability to write papers and pass tests.

There are MD's who deny aids. There are Historian Phd's that deny the holocaust.

The conspiracy mindset is dangerously pathological and it has built in defenses against reason and criticism.  Once you fall into it, it's very hard to get out.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22300 on: September 20, 2015, 04:19:49 pm »

And the five students you had left would be truly brilliant people :P

Naah, that would be a good mental excercise. Though I suspect that's not the whole reason PW is doing it.
If I managed to develop five students into brilliant people, I'd be pleased as hell. C:-)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22301 on: September 20, 2015, 04:25:31 pm »

The thing is that getting a Phd has never proven you are "Logical" or "Sensical" or even "Sane". Just proves you have a hell of a lot of time, a lot of money, and the ability to write papers and pass tests.

There are MD's who deny aids. There are Historian Phd's that deny the holocaust.

The conspiracy mindset is dangerously pathological and it has built in defenses against reason and criticism.  Once you fall into it, it's very hard to get out.

Well, would your psyche react well to the idea that you've been wasting a lot of your time and made a complete fool out of yourself all this time, or would it be easier to keep living in the comfortable castle of lies and denial you built?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22302 on: September 20, 2015, 04:48:36 pm »

“You're afraid of making mistakes. Don't be. Mistakes can be profited by. Man, when I was young I shoved my ignorance in people's faces. They beat me with sticks. By the time I was forty my blunt instrument had been honed to a fine cutting point for me. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn.”

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22303 on: September 20, 2015, 05:38:15 pm »

Fucking americans and their lack of knowledge of latin.

LUCIFER MEANS MORNING STAR! REVELATIONS 22:16!  JESUS REFERS TO HIMSELF AS THE MORNING STAR! NO, THE CATHOLICS ARE NOT WORSHIPING SATAN!

Man, how many popes in a row have all been called the anti-christ?  I think all of them.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #22304 on: September 20, 2015, 05:53:37 pm »

To be fair, I don't think many people outside the Vatican know much about Latin.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 1485 1486 [1487] 1488 1489 ... 2205