Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1470 1471 [1472] 1473 1474 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492775 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #22065 on: September 11, 2015, 09:31:15 pm »

Hmm, I had the idea to start a little RTD where the players are UWM bastards of a blackship.
Maybe.
Could be fun. Detectives, chasing illegal genehackers, stopping mad scientists using alien artifacts, uncovering rebel scum instigating anti-magister action, dismantling a quiet world smuggling ring partially composed of people assimilated into cyborgs by said artifacts, assassinating a magister's political enemy, etc. You'd get to show the UWM acting (relatively) good, protecting (or "protecting" when you have to do more questionable things) the galaxy. Give players the chance to play badass anti-heroes working for the establishment, people who believe the UWM is right. Although by making players play them, they'll be deconstructed a bit, become more comical or maybe show their corruption. You could say they're the worst blackship squad in the galaxy, who only got the job because they won a contest, knew a guy who knew a magister, paperwork mixup, union required cook position on each UWM ship, stowaway, etc.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:32:54 pm by Parisbre56 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22066 on: September 11, 2015, 09:55:45 pm »

And are doomed to lose.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22067 on: September 12, 2015, 12:08:13 am »

Ugh....all day studying, all night editing conspiracy videos.

One thing I'm noticing is that these people have an alarming incapacity to differentiate fact from fiction.

The vast majority of these fucking videos use hollywood movies as "Evidence". I'm not joking. The one I'm editing right now is showing clips from "The Happening" (Of all fucking movies) with a train in it and interspersing clips of an actual train accident.

The worst part is that the train in the happening doesn't even crash!  The logic is literally "Here is a movie about suicide that has a train in it. Here is a train crash. Obama is the Antichrist! *Dubstep over Illuminati pyramid image* "

I've got one video I basically left entirely uncut. It's just 6 minutes of an old man proving he has dementia. Apparently a meteor is gonna hit the earth and that will make the US use an "Oppenheimer bomb" to "Crunch" central america, and then america and europe will die off because they use GMOs and the SR71 blackbird can fly around the moon.  It's like he's having a stroke but just soldiering on, stringing together completely unrelated thoughts into a grand web of nonsense.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22068 on: September 12, 2015, 12:12:29 am »

I remember a good quote from somewhere about conspiracy theories, it was (aroundabout) 'It's like having a foundation built out of toothpicks, and you can only pull one out at a time, individually they're weak, but there are so many of them that taking 1 or 100 doesn't matter.'
I'm also still confused as to how people can see global warming as a 'conspiracy', though.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22069 on: September 12, 2015, 02:13:16 am »

I'm also still confused as to how people can see global warming as a 'conspiracy', though.

Because it's not global warming, it's global cooling, man! The world is slowly freezing, and no one seems to care, all they talk about is "how prevent global warming"!  :P

@Piecewise Conversely, have you found any videos/theories that were 'good'? Now, I admit that I'm often a sucker for wanting to believe, but running ER you surely know better than anyone that sometimes incoherent mad rambling about aliens and doomsday is based on facts (unconfirmed "mysterious coordinates" theories aside, just second-hand accounts of anomalies already fit the bill; even if the narrator, indeed, had gone mad and is rambling incoherently). Just asking your expert opinion on aliens and doomsday coming.

If you were the GM of real life, and were planning to throw in a stealthy doomsday arrival (so no throwing around giant asteroids seen from AUs away, unless "stealth asteroids" of course), do any of those videos fit the bill of "sneaky hints" you'd give your players? Based on those hints, and those hints alone (because, frankly, common sense and basic physics knowledge don't help in such cases, only distract - again, basic ER knowledge), how would you estimate chances of there being aliens and doomsday coming soon?

Isn't this a refreshing new line of thought?  ;)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22070 on: September 12, 2015, 04:14:03 am »

Erm... editing conspiracy videos?

Is this for Let's Piecewise or something... else? If I can ask?
One wheel short of a wagon

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22071 on: September 12, 2015, 04:32:16 am »

Dammit, spoiler alert! I wanted to maintain the  element of surprise so I can have the full apocalypse experience! Now that I know how the world is going to end, there's no point. Now I'm going to have to wait for the next end of the world! Thanks a lot guys.

...damn prophets ruining my apocalypse grumble grumble...

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #22072 on: September 12, 2015, 04:37:58 am »

Dammit, spoiler alert! I wanted to maintain the  element of surprise so I can have the full apocalypse experience! Now that I know how the world is going to end, there's no point. Now I'm going to have to wait for the next end of the world! Thanks a lot guys.

Believe it or not, I actually bought into the Mayan Calendar shit, I stayed up all night that day, waiting for the world to end.
Eventually my mom came in and revealed it was about 4 AM, so that was fun.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22073 on: September 12, 2015, 10:25:20 am »

Because it's not global warming, it's global cooling, man! The world is slowly freezing, and no one seems to care, all they talk about is "how prevent global warming"!  :P

@Piecewise Conversely, have you found any videos/theories that were 'good'? Now, I admit that I'm often a sucker for wanting to believe, but running ER you surely know better than anyone that sometimes incoherent mad rambling about aliens and doomsday is based on facts (unconfirmed "mysterious coordinates" theories aside, just second-hand accounts of anomalies already fit the bill; even if the narrator, indeed, had gone mad and is rambling incoherently). Just asking your expert opinion on aliens and doomsday coming.

If you were the GM of real life, and were planning to throw in a stealthy doomsday arrival (so no throwing around giant asteroids seen from AUs away, unless "stealth asteroids" of course), do any of those videos fit the bill of "sneaky hints" you'd give your players? Based on those hints, and those hints alone (because, frankly, common sense and basic physics knowledge don't help in such cases, only distract - again, basic ER knowledge), how would you estimate chances of there being aliens and doomsday coming soon?

Isn't this a refreshing new line of thought?  ;)

Hmm. Well unfortunately a lot of them are quite derivative and based on the same old quotes from revelations that I would have thought, by now, would have proven themselves so vague as to be meaningless. Especially since this is the 10 squillionth time they've applied them to current events. I kind of like the video of the guy having a stroke if only because his claims are so random and outlandish.

I haven't really found one that fits the bill with what I would consider subtle, interesting hints.

And I think thats because these guys think that the illuminati is literally planting information about it in random movies and Tv shows. Not that it's leaking out somehow, that they're actually putting it there to taunt them. And that strikes me as less "Finding the scattered clues to cosmic destruction" and more persecution complex, a cable subscription and lots of free time.

Though there was one video about how the pope is preparing to welcome an alien god...so perhaps there is hope.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #22074 on: September 12, 2015, 11:26:03 am »

Believe it or not, I actually bought into the Mayan Calendar shit, I stayed up all night that day, waiting for the world to end.
Eventually my mom came in and revealed it was about 4 AM, so that was fun.
Eh, it would had been fun if aliens had landed on the Nazca lines in 2012 like one conspiracy theory said. Then you could see the whole world exploding in a figurative, rather than a literal manner. Unless they were just visiting to take commemorative pictures before blowing stuff up ("Why are you humans still here? Didn't you decode our simple and obvious message of impending demolition hidden in movies/pyramids/leylinea?"). Or people panicked and started an intergalactic/nuclear war.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:28:06 am by Parisbre56 »

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #22075 on: September 12, 2015, 01:32:44 pm »

"Why are you humans still here? Didn't you decode our simple and obvious message of impending demolition hidden in movies/pyramids/leylinea?".

Impending demolition

It's the Vogons! Quick, put on your ear protectors before they read poetry at you!
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22076 on: September 12, 2015, 02:01:35 pm »

I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #22077 on: September 12, 2015, 02:08:45 pm »

So ARM actually exists in this time?

It's just that symbol ARM sports dates back to first half of 20th century, I believe. It's used a lot.

Edit: Also, nice Mosin carbine that person sports as a part of this cosplay.

2nd Edit [unrelated]: Also, let us appreciate this guy making a full disassembly and explanation on the only Pancor Jackhammer actually existing in meatspace
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 02:16:51 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22078 on: September 12, 2015, 02:49:01 pm »

Hmm. Well unfortunately a lot of them are quite derivative and based on the same old quotes from revelations that I would have thought, by now, would have proven themselves so vague as to be meaningless. Especially since this is the 10 squillionth time they've applied them to current events.

Applying Revelation's symbols sand imagery to current affairs is indeed a fools errand. I would hesitate to call the quotes meaningless, in themselves, though. meaningless for us, maybe. Much like the Doctor's Cipher. and that is because, again like the Doctor's Cipher, they were meant to be understood by a certain set of people with a certain set of keys. For instance, lots of the imagery is simply Old Testament Apocalyptic. And some of the imagery related to current events in the first century, and to politicians who wouldn't have hesitated to execute people for besmirching their good name, so naturally, these references were coded.

The message of Revelation, if one can filter a lot of that, process the rest, and look at some of the main themes that are clear, is a message of hope [for Christians persecuted by the world], and assurance [that God is in control, and that Jesus is Worthy]. that message has meaning today s it did ever, though perhaps the persecution bit is somewhat lacking in my particular neck of the woods.

I hope this was interesting to you guys 0:)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #22079 on: September 12, 2015, 08:41:40 pm »

And watch as now, Mission 23 spirals out of control because of Space Magic.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.
Pages: 1 ... 1470 1471 [1472] 1473 1474 ... 2205