Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1430 1431 [1432] 1433 1434 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494252 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21465 on: August 27, 2015, 12:51:27 pm »

Man, assuming the team makes it out/I'm not permadead I'm probably gonna get paid next to nothing for this mission. >.>
The last time I was actually useful was way back on Mission 15.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21466 on: August 27, 2015, 12:59:37 pm »

Finaaly.

Now I can stop imagining you as a 3 headed pineapple.
One wheel short of a wagon

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21467 on: August 27, 2015, 01:06:15 pm »

But I am a 3 headed pineapple!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21468 on: August 27, 2015, 01:13:24 pm »

Man, assuming the team makes it out/I'm not permadead I'm probably gonna get paid next to nothing for this mission. >.>
The last time I was actually useful was way back on Mission 15.

Standard 5 tokens is next to nothing?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21469 on: August 27, 2015, 01:37:01 pm »

63 % leaves 37%, so even though the space magic brains are tired, M22 still has just over half as much rock to go through as they went through last round. So exciting. Come on guys, you can do it!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21470 on: August 27, 2015, 01:57:51 pm »

True, but we have much less things to help us now. I'll put a contingency action in there, just in case, and hope things don't go too badly.

I'll also ask Vanessa to put Lyra's braincase in one of those large sample containers I'm carrying to protect her from  accidentally getting burnt from any slag I may have to get through, since she lacks a Mk suit. Not as good as a Mk suit, and even those can overheat in certain circumstances, but it's the best I can think of. Sorry Lenglon.

Edit: Oh, and we should probably compensate Ben for taking his explosives when giving mission rewards, if not reward him for bringing it (even if he didn't get to use it). (I'm assuming the shuttle will survive, even if the rest of us don't.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:03:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21471 on: August 27, 2015, 03:58:37 pm »

Give it a turn for the abduction to go horribly wrong.
I assure you, the only people who are going to die horribly as a result of my current actions will be anyone why tries to kill me, myself, and anyone within a one-mile radius sphere of myself. Perfectly safe.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21472 on: August 27, 2015, 04:16:56 pm »

Give it a turn for the abduction to go horribly wrong.
I assure you, the only people who are going to die horribly as a result of my current actions will be anyone why tries to kill me, myself, and anyone within a one-mile radius sphere of myself. Perfectly safe.

Absolutely. That's safer than most missions actually
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21473 on: August 27, 2015, 04:52:06 pm »

I'm not sure I like long war. The missions are all easy enough so far. tedious because they have more aliens on them, but ok. But I just spent 4 interceptors to try to take down ufos. Managed to take down none of them, lost my only satellite and a plane as a result. And that really annoys me because there's nothing I can do with the interceptors; I can't use any strategy, I'm completely at the mercy of the computer's random rolls and I'm not sure what I should be doing differently. If I'm losing in a strategy game I want it to be because I made mistakes, not because the RNG is stacked against me.

I'm in Vegas, if I want to gamble and lose I can do that anywhere.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21474 on: August 27, 2015, 05:02:43 pm »

You're a computer bank in Vegas? Gonna start calling you Mr. House.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21475 on: August 27, 2015, 05:06:38 pm »

You're a computer bank in Vegas? Gonna start calling you Mr. House.
Part computer, part skeleton.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21476 on: August 27, 2015, 08:26:50 pm »

I know its against the rules, otherwise banning wouldn't be more than an inconvenience, but I assumed people who've changed their names did so for that reason.

I guess I woulda noticed if someone had that sort of everywhere-ness... unless he knew he'd be banned someday and is secretly Xantalos :o
People change their usernames because they want to change their usernames. It's someone's self-identifier, and people change over time. You aren't the same person you were 5 years ago, and some people like to change their username when they feel that they themselves no longer identify with their old one.

Honestly, if I didn't have any long-running characters / games active, I'd have changed my username long ago. I just haven't because I don't want to have to get people to recognize my new name instead of the old one.

I've always disagreed with that sentiment.  I use a bunch of different names all over the internet, with the one here being one of the oldest that's been depreciated for me a long time ago.  I don't care, though, because I don't feel names are who people are.  Same for other identifying categories.  I've spent a fair number of years working with the public, and the people who worry me are the ones who believe they are defined by what they believe, or who identify with categories first, because people can convince themselves they believe anything.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21477 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:34 pm »

I know its against the rules, otherwise banning wouldn't be more than an inconvenience, but I assumed people who've changed their names did so for that reason.

I guess I woulda noticed if someone had that sort of everywhere-ness... unless he knew he'd be banned someday and is secretly Xantalos :o
People change their usernames because they want to change their usernames. It's someone's self-identifier, and people change over time. You aren't the same person you were 5 years ago, and some people like to change their username when they feel that they themselves no longer identify with their old one.

Honestly, if I didn't have any long-running characters / games active, I'd have changed my username long ago. I just haven't because I don't want to have to get people to recognize my new name instead of the old one.

I've always disagreed with that sentiment.  I use a bunch of different names all over the internet, with the one here being one of the oldest that's been depreciated for me a long time ago.  I don't care, though, because I don't feel names are who people are.  Same for other identifying categories.  I've spent a fair number of years working with the public, and the people who worry me are the ones who believe they are defined by what they believe, or who identify with categories first, because people can convince themselves they believe anything.
The problem is language is limited. Any way that you identify yourself at all is nothing but a category. The most specific one is generally your own name though. But if even your own name doesn't fit you, you don't have a way to put into words a re-affirmation of your own identity.

this bothers some people, and doesn't others. But your reasoning doesn't follow in the case of people's names, even though it applies most everywhere else identifiers are concerned. Someone identifying with their name is identifying with themselves, not with categorizations of themselves. It's the exact opposite of your concern. I'm surprised you aren't supporting it, based on what you said.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21478 on: August 28, 2015, 12:10:10 am »

The problem is language is limited. Any way that you identify yourself at all is nothing but a category. The most specific one is generally your own name though. But if even your own name doesn't fit you, you don't have a way to put into words a re-affirmation of your own identity.

this bothers some people, and doesn't others. But your reasoning doesn't follow in the case of people's names, even though it applies most everywhere else identifiers are concerned. Someone identifying with their name is identifying with themselves, not with categorizations of themselves. It's the exact opposite of your concern. I'm surprised you aren't supporting it, based on what you said.
[/quote]

Very much the opposite.  You always are who you are.  That's the one thing everyone always has, even if you don't feel comfortable with yourself.  Saying that you can't identify yourself other than through language?  That's a problem.  Language is how you communicate to other people, not to yourself.  Your name, or your alleigance, is only holding you back because you have defined yourself to be 'not that name' or 'this group', or 'not that group'.

You don't have a way to reaffirm your own identity through words?  Tough.  The words are for other people, not you thinking of yourself.  Same with names.  I'm fine with a name as an identifier for myself, but I am not the name, the name is mine.  Ownership runs that way, and hence whatever name is around is fine.

I can see reasons why people might want to change their names, but in the end, I see no reason for me to ever do so.  Same with other categories.  I am myself, regardless of if I have a word to force upon other people, in an act of self-affirmation by dominance.

If you want a direct example of such, Lenglon, I can think of many things that I do not have words for.  I was born with a significant degree of hearing loss, such that I suffer, and have suffered, a form of tinnantus throughout my life, which made some things such as learning to sleep, much harder in ways that are difficult to cover with existing launguage.  I don't need a word to identify those experiences to myself, only if I choose to share them with other people.

Language is ultimately functional, and intended to facilitate communication.  The act of thinking for yourself is not dependant upon language, although it is often shaded or affected by it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21479 on: August 28, 2015, 12:43:25 am »

<snip>
As much as I understand the trouble of thinking in concepts disconnected from language, I do not agree that only identifying yourself through language is a problem. It serves as a way of concentrating and defining the shape of the "self" behind the name. The definition of 'you' disconnected from language is useless to anyone but yourself, so in the context of identifying yourself to others the language-based names are all-important.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 1430 1431 [1432] 1433 1434 ... 2205