Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1411 1412 [1413] 1414 1415 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491171 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21180 on: August 19, 2015, 03:20:14 am »

If you need a +2 uncon to wield a weapon, what sort of thing happens if you try with a +1?
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21181 on: August 19, 2015, 03:34:53 am »

If you need a +2 uncon to wield a weapon, what sort of thing happens if you try with a +1?

The Tesla Saber has an implied label that says KEEP AWAY FROM FACE. Unless you have Uncon +2 or more, I assume you didn't catch that label.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21182 on: August 19, 2015, 03:45:33 am »

Maybe we should have an actual mechanic in place for that sort of thing? Like taking a roll penalty if your skill is less than the required?

I really think that the "minimum skill" should count against the actual skill, in determining roll results. You have a 2-Con gun, and you have +2 Con, congratulations, you're rolling as if you have +0 Con with it. Makes the requirements actually important, methinks.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21183 on: August 19, 2015, 03:48:07 am »

Maybe we should have an actual mechanic in place for that sort of thing? Like taking a roll penalty if your skill is less than the required?

I really think that the "minimum skill" should count against the actual skill, in determining roll results. You have a 2-Con gun, and you have +2 Con, congratulations, you're rolling as if you have +0 Con with it. Makes the requirements actually important, methinks.
That seems like a good idea since it'd make the trope of a master with a simple weapon being easily able to beat the rookie with the badass weapon.

Of course this would mean more work for PW.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21184 on: August 19, 2015, 07:51:44 am »

And then everyone would be forced to use gauss and laser rifles if they want to shoot properly because their hard-earned experience suddenly disappears and they start derping when a more expensive weapon is put on their hands?

I don't think that's a good idea. There's a ceiling, and if you're using weapons close to that ceiling then you're firing like a newbie.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21185 on: August 19, 2015, 08:42:18 am »

I would agree with Caellath here. That would simply result in people being suddenly inexpert where they should otherwise have been Masters of their trade. That is not something good.

There's another way to enforce 'minimum' requirements on gear: like with upgrades/implants, simply have the user roll extra times each time the item is used - and well, you guess what happens is the user fails those rolls; as the user's skills approach the requirement, he just automatically passes those tests and thus they are skipped. A risky, but appropriate solution, which is in line with other mechanics and thus organic to the system.

(That idea with the penalty to skill level would have been appropriate under the old system, where all bonuses were numerical, but nowadays with skill levels being categories rather than pure numbers, different approaches should be sought.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #21186 on: August 19, 2015, 09:58:54 am »

"Because this happens, that's why. Also, I technically outrank you right now, so at least take my advice, like, don't let the creepy doll people touch you, and don't touch them."

Is this directed at Hasala? I can't tell. It looks like it's continuing a conversation, but I can't find anything for it to be a response to.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21187 on: August 19, 2015, 10:03:27 am »

Maybe he's replying to this (since it's the only explicit question apart from Maurice's; and even then it's coming from a different team)? I'm also having a hard time finding what it's responding to.
"Guuuuys... Are they only moving when we don't look at them? I don't liiiike that."

Or maybe it's simply a non-sequitur. That also happens. :)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21188 on: August 19, 2015, 01:45:03 pm »

((Sorry for double-post.))

Question about manips: in the new system, can you explain how one exactly uses a manip? Do you just input variables (heat to X degrees y metres away) and let 'er rip? If yes, could one 'prepare' a manip action by putting in the variables but not hitting 'execute' until needed? If yes, could this be used to regain reaction shots in a way, but only for a single prepared thing? For example, you prepare the input/calculations for putting up a forcewall, but wait with hitting execute until needed. And if you then need to do something else entirely, you first have to delete the prepared variables, wasting time.

I think it can be reasoned this way:
It is confirmed that amps are not "speed of thought/instanteous" (since an Arbiter can dodge/kill the amper before the space-sorcery is done).
Modern manipulators are ampers-in-a-can, basically; inputting the data does nothing except giving the brain-pilot target parameters.
Thus, while input methods can theoretically be streamlined, reaction shots are still largely limited due to the same tiny-but-not-insignificant amp "casting time" - i.e. if ampers can do 'reaction shots', then manips also can, and vice versa, if ampers cannot (in certain circumstances) then manips cannot either. Really, for all the changes it made, the new system really removed a lot of mechanical differences between the amps and manips (giving even more importance to the defining characteristics of each type).

Of course, this is pure speculation, and I already can see some small loopholes/backdoors Piecewise left for himself which can be used to reason a wholy different picture.  ;)
Past Sigs

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21189 on: August 19, 2015, 01:50:33 pm »

Manips cannot do reaction shots now due to needing time to put variables into the interface, while an amper can execute at speed of thought, right? So, ampers can still block incoming gauss rounds, but manipers (?+) cannot.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21190 on: August 19, 2015, 02:04:48 pm »

-snip- an amper can execute at speed of thought, right?-snip-
This is exactly what I am disputing. But really, the source material is inconsistent; sometimes the ampers can throw up a shield in time to protect the team from nuclear explosion, and sometimes Arbiters can slice them up before they begin doing their space magic.

But yeah, input speed could be streamlined. Maybe we should incorporate that "hands free" manip external upgade by AM into standard design, to upgrade to "speed of voice-input"? Or, well, we do have MMI now, and robots don't even need that, so maybe it's time to give manips some proper I/O ports for the users to jack-in direct brain connection.
Past Sigs

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21191 on: August 19, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »

This is exactly what I am disputing. But really, the source material is inconsistent; sometimes the ampers can throw up a shield in time to protect the team from nuclear explosion, and sometimes Arbiters can slice them up before they begin doing their space magic.
That obviously measn abriters can move faster than light!
#conspiracy #exposed #unneccessaryhashtags #hax
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21192 on: August 19, 2015, 02:15:12 pm »

CHARACTER
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hey look, more meatshields signing up! Excellent.

But yeah, input speed could be streamlined. Maybe we should incorporate that "hands free" manip external upgade by AM into standard design, to upgrade to "speed of voice-input"? Or, well, we do have MMI now, and robots don't even need that, so maybe it's time to give manips some proper I/O ports for the users to jack-in direct brain connection.

PW inconsistent? Impossible!

But seriously, yeah, it's a bit iffy. PW has said ampers sometimes shouldn't be able to react, but get a chance to anyway because he's so nice.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 02:17:07 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21193 on: August 19, 2015, 02:15:57 pm »

That obviously measn abriters can move faster than light!
#conspiracy #exposed #unneccessaryhashtags #hax
And then, since an unboosted human can reach arbiters level of speed with eating Dex stimms by handfuls, humans can also move faster than light!
#inherently #magical #humans
Past Sigs

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21194 on: August 19, 2015, 02:17:26 pm »

Hey, new person, fancy joining a Union? :D
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 1411 1412 [1413] 1414 1415 ... 2205