Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1412 1413 [1414] 1415 1416 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2490569 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21195 on: August 19, 2015, 02:32:01 pm »

-snip- an amper can execute at speed of thought, right?-snip-
This is exactly what I am disputing. But really, the source material is inconsistent; sometimes the ampers can throw up a shield in time to protect the team from nuclear explosion, and sometimes Arbiters can slice them up before they begin doing their space magic.

But yeah, input speed could be streamlined. Maybe we should incorporate that "hands free" manip external upgade by AM into standard design, to upgrade to "speed of voice-input"? Or, well, we do have MMI now, and robots don't even need that, so maybe it's time to give manips some proper I/O ports for the users to jack-in direct brain connection.
That would defeat part of the balance reason of having manips as separate objects from amps.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21196 on: August 19, 2015, 02:43:01 pm »

Hmmm? Why?
Really, with how they currently are (amps use your brains, manips use someone else's), the difference is already profound, I believe.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21197 on: August 19, 2015, 03:05:52 pm »

Okay so the green mesh is crawling into my skin what now?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21198 on: August 19, 2015, 03:09:05 pm »

You have probably gained subdermal armor of unidentified effectiveness and origin. Not sure of the side effects though, and from the description it appeared uncertain whether there is enough to cover the whole body, but for simplicity's sake it can be hopefully disregarded.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21199 on: August 19, 2015, 03:09:53 pm »

CRAAAAWWWWWWLING IIIIN MY SKIIIIIIIIIN
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21200 on: August 19, 2015, 03:13:59 pm »

Now you let someone shoot you, and see what happens.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21201 on: August 19, 2015, 03:15:44 pm »

you could RP it. Scream. Panic. Blow snot bubbles. Stare at it in horror.

Or you could ask the GM what happens next, while blowing snot bubbles.

-snip- an amper can execute at speed of thought, right?-snip-
This is exactly what I am disputing. But really, the source material is inconsistent; sometimes the ampers can throw up a shield in time to protect the team from nuclear explosion, and sometimes Arbiters can slice them up before they begin doing their space magic.

But yeah, input speed could be streamlined. Maybe we should incorporate that "hands free" manip external upgade by AM into standard design, to upgrade to "speed of voice-input"? Or, well, we do have MMI now, and robots don't even need that, so maybe it's time to give manips some proper I/O ports for the users to jack-in direct brain connection.

PW inconsistent? Impossible!

But seriously, yeah, it's a bit iffy. PW has said ampers sometimes shouldn't be able to react, but get a chance to anyway because he's so nice.
Pancaek, Mission 19. in PW's 'Let's Play,' he said opening that door was supposed to be a "rocks fall, everybody dies" situation. But, occasionally, PW is too nice. I think he would have tried to save Mesk that round too, if he hadn't already explicitly stated that everyone needed a certain amount of con to even get a roll, and Mesk was below the threshhold.

Speaking of Mesk, I have been interested in maybe using the artifact that made him regenerate. I doubt I'll ever really have the IC opportunity though.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21202 on: August 19, 2015, 03:45:15 pm »

@sean: I think arming/using a bomb takes uncon regardless? At least when arming it with its normal features (and not, say, slaving detonation prompt to your suit's computer). Otherwise a lot of things could start getting delegated to AUX.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21203 on: August 19, 2015, 03:45:41 pm »

What are the chances of this hurting me?

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #21204 on: August 19, 2015, 03:46:49 pm »

Probably very high. But you're playing this game, so about as much as usual.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21205 on: August 19, 2015, 03:55:03 pm »

What can I do to minimize my chances of horrible death or mutilation, other then not play this game

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21206 on: August 19, 2015, 03:59:59 pm »

Go to the infirmary and hope they can keep you alive. Not touch unknown artifacts with your bare skin.
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21207 on: August 19, 2015, 04:05:03 pm »

What are the chances of this hurting me?
Honestly? Probably not much, at least in the long-term. Again, this falls under 'side effects'; all in all, Nyartifacts can be summed up as beneficial to the owner - of course, with their personal meaning of 'beneficial' very often.

So unless you want to try and oppose the impantation (hurry up and get to the Infirmary, yelling at the staff to cut it out of you, for example), the best would be to leave it be and let run its course. Death and mutilation with Nyartifacts usually comes from own actions and misuse (think Deathcube and "Self - Destroy" button sequence); so far its crawling into you wasn't prompted by your misuse of it, only by start of interaction - i.e. it should be in the non-malicious mode, from meta perspective and previous Nyartifact knowledge. Both of which should probably be inavailabe to your character, but you asked us anyway, right? :)
Past Sigs

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21208 on: August 19, 2015, 04:08:13 pm »

Yay, three people who might join the union! Things are looking up!
One wheel short of a wagon

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21209 on: August 19, 2015, 04:15:37 pm »

So, I went back and re-read the Nyars box description and a part was bugging me, the word ulfire. I seemed to remember seeing it from somewhere before. Got frustrated, looked it up and it's from A Voyage To Arcturus. Ulfire is a color described as being "wild and painful". So have fun with that!
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!
Pages: 1 ... 1412 1413 [1414] 1415 1416 ... 2205