Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1298 1299 [1300] 1301 1302 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487164 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #19485 on: July 04, 2015, 07:54:33 pm »

-snip-
Anyway, what are you afraid of? It's not like he can do much more than try to multi slap you to death and he has terrible strength from what I remember.
You don't understand. This is bad rap. It leads to bad reputation. And in Maurice's business, reputation is everything:P

@Nik: Not necessarily; while this is a rather jarring development for Xan he still considers it better than being stuck in a human body.
Oh well. Maybe I should consider this rather a beneficial development instead, I guess.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #19486 on: July 04, 2015, 07:57:12 pm »

Yeah, Xan have -2 aux, hence why I'm hoping his attempts to fix people use Med otherwise he's even more of a danger than he was when he was a flesh horror.
@Nik: Not necessarily; while this is a rather jarring development for Xan he still considers it better than being stuck in a human body.
Oh well. Maybe I should consider this rather a beneficial development instead, I guess.
Though keep in mind Xan's character development has pretty much always him becoming more and more inhuman - with that comes being better and better at lying as he goes.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19487 on: July 04, 2015, 08:17:13 pm »

I'm trying to keep out of the on ship thread while the team captains choose - PW dis order us not to make unnecessary actions there twice. Otherwise, Dester'd be carrying on a conversation with Lyra about making a team with the animated hand and the big amp user and going to Anomaly University. He'd be telling her he's thinking of wearing a purple suit with a fine green silk shirt, purple fedora, and bright red cowboy boots.

Looks less and less likely He'll be on the Joker mission, newbie friendly or no.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19488 on: July 04, 2015, 08:20:37 pm »

Though keep in mind Xan's character development has pretty much always him becoming more and more inhuman - with that comes being better and better at lying as he goes.
Just a random philosophical thought:
I found myself disagreeing with you on the concept that 'more inhuman' would mean 'better/more often lying'; I'd instead argue that lying is a very human thing, and inhuman sentient creatures (like, really alien minds) might find lying an inefficient and possibly even incomprehensible custom of human communication. Like, why would the humans do such a thing when they could confer information without introducing any errors? Or possibly instead glurble it (or whatever thing those inhuman alien minds might do with conveyed information that is as native to their nature as lying is to human nature)?..
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19489 on: July 04, 2015, 08:25:05 pm »

I suppose it's not wholly going inhuman - in many ways he started out very very inhuman, what with his view that the natural state of things was being dead, had no idea how to do social interaction, and was basically a very simple character for me to have my fun with and then discard when he inevitably permadied.
But then he just wouldn't die, and I started to get into his mindset, and he grew as a character.
Actually Xan hasn't become more inhuman. He's become less over the course of however long I've been playing him, and his appearance has become more inhuman.
Xan himself is kinda (in some aspects) becoming more human. And that's actually somewhat more scary than the alternative.
Sig! Onol

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19490 on: July 04, 2015, 08:31:01 pm »

There are a lot of ways to become "less human," depending on one's basic understanding off what it means to be human to begin with. Alien sapients likely know the value of information, and therefore the value of misinformation. Of course, like you say, many might dismiss that value, but many might insist on it. From what I've read, though, Xan isn't progressing toward a particular mindset, but from a baseline human one.

Humans are by nature fairly honest beings, and typically find lying uncomfortable. Of course, many people get broken from the norm via trauma, long term stressors, or unusual birth situations and find lying natural and "right" somehow, so we have that weird mixture of honest, dishonest (people who are normal but overcome their discomort), and pathological liars. I believe honesty is more naturally human, but philosophers are divided.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19491 on: July 04, 2015, 08:35:59 pm »

Eh, regardless of whatever term could be used to describe his progression the main thing is that he's getting better and better at being a devious sneaky fucker as time goes on.
Sig! Onol

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19492 on: July 04, 2015, 08:43:43 pm »

Hey Ozarck, are you still interested in trying to buy that limb-vat? Right now would probably be a good time to met IC if you still want to try and do that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 08:46:47 pm by AkumaKasai »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19493 on: July 04, 2015, 08:51:30 pm »

Xan himself is kinda (in some aspects) becoming more human. And that's actually somewhat more scary than the alternative.
That explanation I can understand. And yes, it's actually far more scary - Fridge Horror-scary.

Humans are by nature fairly honest beings, and typically find lying uncomfortable. Of course, many people get broken from the norm via trauma, long term stressors, or unusual birth situations and find lying natural and "right" somehow, so we have that weird mixture of honest, dishonest (people who are normal but overcome their discomort), and pathological liars. I believe honesty is more naturally human, but philosophers are divided.
I can accept that approach. As for me, well, I'd say (at this point of life and reasoning) that 'conveying information' in general is naturally human. And some cultures/mindsets approve of conveying correct information (i.e. value honesty - very often by itself), while others approve of conveying incorrect information instead (i.e. value lies - as means towards some goal, almost always). Fun thing? Some (rare, specific, secondary) cultures approve conveying meaningless information (i.e., neither truth nor lies - for some, most often not specified, reasons), like abstract paintings, Zen koans or Internet "crazy randomness".

All in all, I'd say, most people being honest means overall victory of truth-valuing cultures (which is a commendable thing, I admit) rather than anything else - though I am open to agreeing to disagreeing here.  ;)
Past Sigs

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19494 on: July 04, 2015, 09:00:52 pm »

Truly the internet should have its own recognized cultures.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19495 on: July 04, 2015, 09:19:34 pm »

Yeah, Xan have -2 aux, hence why I'm hoping his attempts to fix people use Med otherwise he's even more of a danger than he was when he was a flesh horror.
Piecewise said this thing needs only med, not aux. So as long as he doesn't forget or change his mind, you should be fine.
Oh, and response now edited in on ship thread.

I'm trying to keep out of the on ship thread while the team captains choose - PW dis order us not to make unnecessary actions there twice. Otherwise, Dester'd be carrying on a conversation with Lyra about making a team with the animated hand and the big amp user and going to Anomaly University. He'd be telling her he's thinking of wearing a purple suit with a fine green silk shirt, purple fedora, and bright red cowboy boots.

Looks less and less likely He'll be on the Joker mission, newbie friendly or no.
I'm pretty sure that as long as you don't post bolded actions, you should be fine.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19496 on: July 04, 2015, 09:21:53 pm »

Piecewise said this thing needs only med, not aux
yaaaay
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #19497 on: July 04, 2015, 09:28:41 pm »

yaaaay
Note that that is for healing only. I'm pretty sure you can't reprogram(aux) or augment(handy) bots using med. Merely heal them from damage, since that counts as fixing things that keep people alive. And you can't fix battlesuits either, since that would be Handy work.
Medical tech: A mechanic both for people and the systems that keep people from dying in various ways.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:31:27 pm by Parisbre56 »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19498 on: July 04, 2015, 09:38:24 pm »

yaaaay
Note that that is for healing only. I'm pretty sure you can't reprogram(aux) or augment(handy) bots using med. Merely heal them from damage, since that counts as fixing things that keep people alive. And you can't fix battlesuits either, since that would be Handy work.
Medical tech: A mechanic both for people and the systems that keep people from dying in various ways.
I need both med and aux to keep some one alive! might switch my penalty to aux to conventional weapons then
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19499 on: July 04, 2015, 09:41:53 pm »

yaaaay
Oh, I've no intention of doing either in the first place, so that solves that!
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 1298 1299 [1300] 1301 1302 ... 2205