Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493993 times)

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #17235 on: May 22, 2015, 07:15:24 am »

.....well then, that was a thing that happened
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17236 on: May 22, 2015, 07:22:14 am »

Guys, guys, I have found who sabotaged the UWM ship. And judging from the level of power, of planning demonstrated... we might be having another (or greater than) AM-level semi-omnipotent character. Or just a uniquely prophetic one.

Remember when the holo-theater girl was first met? After this mission start, after the teams were sent for the missions. And at that point I made a very careless, but very important observation:
*has an idea*
What if it were not only Mesk, but..?
*checks the wiki page*
Oh no. Oh no. Oh. No.

... You know, with Jim's demise, Mesk is the sole survivor of that team he was in during the mission.
Jim is dead.
Ivan went to the Doctor's vat indefinetely.
Travis is dead.
Empyrea went to the stasis pod indefinetely.

...Mesk is the last one.
She's the patient number 5!
And then there were none.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17237 on: May 22, 2015, 07:59:45 am »

Lars does have a nuke, if push comes to shove for Snapdragon.  It's "probably" sub-megaton.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #17238 on: May 22, 2015, 08:18:22 am »

Why can't we get the planet to fight the dragon worm?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17239 on: May 22, 2015, 08:58:37 am »

What if it's a fungus worm?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #17240 on: May 22, 2015, 10:04:25 am »

Bring it back so we can make pizza with it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17241 on: May 22, 2015, 10:32:52 am »

I can't help but feel that calling the Haebi a fungus is a massive misnomer. It's a slime mold at its most fungus-like, and it seems much more sophisticated than that most of the time. I mean, it's got nerves and somatic structures and everything, so it's much more of an animal, really.

Where does it get energy from, though? Lithotrophy? Sunlight? A mixture of the two?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:35:50 am by Harry Baldman »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17242 on: May 22, 2015, 10:38:55 am »

I dunno guys, seems like you made a rational decision trying to go in, though more caution might've been possible. I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense to place that tripwire there, of all places, instead of at the pilot bridge or computer room. That's like buying a house alarm and placing it in a random cupboard, instead of at the front door or the vault with all the money. And there must've been something brainscrewy in there, unless reality bending from intu rolls goes that far (which would be kinda ridiculous).
Ah but you're not thinking with enough foresight Radio. Think about it like this: You're setting up this ship with the intent of preventing it from getting into the hands of both the fungus and anyone like us who would want to take it. You put in the robots as your first and obvious line of defense. But you have to assume that will be breached. And if that defense is breached, you have to assume that they're combat ready, so just throwing more guys at them won't help. So you program your computer to self destruct the ship if it runs out of options. But what if they destroy the computer? Hmm. Then they're probably knowledgeable about where it is located, since finding and getting to it while constantly being attacked would be very hard to do if just checking doors at random. So they've got the ship and disable the computer. What about a trap in the cockpit? No. They'd expect it and it would show your hand...

Ah, but what will they do once they believe they've taken the ship? They'll start searching all the rooms! Thats where we plant the traps.

And what exactly was reality bending about those intuition rolls? Those guys had 0's or -1's in their intuition. And they rolled bad. Hence the feeling of danger became out right horrible fear. And Pancaek got a 2. And the one guy who kinda succeeded felt something bad back there.

Getting freaked out isn't really bending reality is it?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17243 on: May 22, 2015, 10:46:02 am »

am looking forward to the Lets Play ER: GM side, whenever it becomes available.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17244 on: May 22, 2015, 10:49:15 am »

Ah, but what will they do once they believe they've taken the ship? They'll start searching all the rooms! Thats where we plant the traps.

You know, that makes me want to know more about the particular crew that thought of this. They were probably a fun lot.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17245 on: May 22, 2015, 10:54:33 am »

You know, that makes me want to know more about the particular crew that thought of this. They were probably a fun lot.
That's like Dungeoneering 101. Always trap the loot!
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #17246 on: May 22, 2015, 10:55:17 am »

I can just imagine april fools day at their workplace.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17247 on: May 22, 2015, 11:11:01 am »

I dunno guys, seems like you made a rational decision trying to go in, though more caution might've been possible. I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense to place that tripwire there, of all places, instead of at the pilot bridge or computer room. That's like buying a house alarm and placing it in a random cupboard, instead of at the front door or the vault with all the money. And there must've been something brainscrewy in there, unless reality bending from intu rolls goes that far (which would be kinda ridiculous).
Ah but you're not thinking with enough foresight Radio. Think about it like this: You're setting up this ship with the intent of preventing it from getting into the hands of both the fungus and anyone like us who would want to take it. You put in the robots as your first and obvious line of defense. But you have to assume that will be breached. And if that defense is breached, you have to assume that they're combat ready, so just throwing more guys at them won't help. So you program your computer to self destruct the ship if it runs out of options. But what if they destroy the computer? Hmm. Then they're probably knowledgeable about where it is located, since finding and getting to it while constantly being attacked would be very hard to do if just checking doors at random. So they've got the ship and disable the computer. What about a trap in the cockpit? No. They'd expect it and it would show your hand...

And what exactly was reality bending about those intuition rolls? Those guys had 0's or -1's in their intuition. And they rolled bad. Hence the feeling of danger became out right horrible fear. And Pancaek got a 2. And the one guy who kinda succeeded felt something bad back there.

Getting freaked out isn't really bending reality is it?

Ah, but tell me pw: what prevented them from boobytrapping the random door... and the cockpit and the computer? That's why it doesn't make sense: if they wanted security, they would have set up multiple tripwires at all the locations where it mattered! And not just a random doorway. Because a gang of focussed pirates would then handily circumvent your entire system. Again, look at the example of a house with a vault carrying lots of cash:
-no security. Dumb, but I can see that happen.
-security at front door and the vault. Ok, makes sense.
-every cupboard and doorknob is wired. Paranoid, but sure.
-one random closet is wired, but nothing else. Not the places that matter, and would be the actual targets.

That's whats weird here. Not the tripwire on a random door, but a tripwire only on a random door.
Nor was the computer set to self destruct the nukes if it was breached, even though this shows they were clearly willing to sacrifice the ship. And the computer had to be smart enoug to recognise when it would be about to be compromised, if it could manage to control so many robots at a time. And if someone uses/disables your nukes before searching the rooms, it also fails.

I guess the intu roll is more arguable, but that's the nature of rolls in rtd I guess. Still, tossing yourself out an airlock screaming cause a door gives you a bad feeling isn't reality bending, but it sure is kinda, ah, nonstandard. But that's what you get when you employ former convicts with stasis dementia!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:15:14 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17248 on: May 22, 2015, 11:16:28 am »

Ah, but tell me pw: what prevented them from boobytrapping the random door... and the cockpit and the computer? That's why it doesn't make sense: if they wanted security, they would have set up multiple tripwires at all the locations where it mattered! And not just a random doorway. Because a gang of focussed pirates would then handily circumvent your entire system.

Well, it probably makes people nervous to set up even one tripwire linked to an entire nuclear arsenal, let alone hang out in the trapped location long enough to set up another one. I mean, imagine if you were part of the crew that had to do it. Would you try your luck with a couple more tripwires if you had the choice? Especially since the nuclear tripwire doesn't exactly smack of a traditional solution for this type of situation.

Also, it lulls people into a false sense of security, and is completely contrary to what a savvy gang of pirates would expect, so it's also quite effective. It certainly was in this case, no?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:19:37 am by Harry Baldman »

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17249 on: May 22, 2015, 11:19:02 am »

And, imo, you've gotta allow some level of irrational decisions because this is a game. I'm sure he could have made the defenses damned near foolproof, but then you're just sending people off to their deaths with no chance of survival. Rigging "bonus" objectives is totally fair, but can you imagine if there were multiple kaboom switches on the way to the primary objective? The team wouldn't have stood a chance.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.
Pages: 1 ... 1148 1149 [1150] 1151 1152 ... 2205