Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495362 times)

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #15705 on: April 12, 2015, 03:46:08 am »

Yeah, but you're going with a team of squishies.

46 jumbo jets of force is gonna be really fun for everyone in the vicinity.

Edit: Heph should look into a super-kinetic-amp that cubes the force, for battlesuits and up only. That would give you 290 trillion newton-seconds of punch.

It looks like a box! It hits with the force of 1,000 oil tankers!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:48:22 am by Dorsidwarf »
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15706 on: April 12, 2015, 03:47:21 am »

Considering one of the recent topics of IRC discussion was using teammates as a food supply for our resident Carbon Vampire, I don't think friendly fire is too much of a concern for us :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15707 on: April 12, 2015, 03:48:59 am »

Yeah, but you're going with a team of squishies.

46 jumbo jets of force is gonna be really fun for everyone in the vicinity.

I'm not stupid enough to use an Avatar kinamp in the vicinity of unshielded newbs, dorsi. Gimme some credit will ya!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15708 on: April 12, 2015, 03:49:48 am »

Do you have a better way of ensuring that, if people just keep fucking about, or threaten to destroy the game, the gm has a way to stop it?

Shock implants? Isn't that exactly what those are for?

And if someone tries to overload an amp, there's anti-space-magic measures as well in R&D and perhaps elsewhere.

To complete the set, shipboard mooks with amps and decent (though not exceptional) skills, or even just plain old killer robots.

And also traps. Gotta have traps to be activated on Steve's command.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 03:51:20 am by Harry Baldman »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15709 on: April 12, 2015, 03:49:54 am »

@Nikitian: wouldn't you rather sell your MkII to a newbie/someone else interested in it? Cheaper MkIIs are surely a good thing to have around.
Yeah, I considered that... but then again it appeared no one was interested (it was on the Player Market for quite a while), and I cannot even justify selling it to the Team Fund for half the price now, because with my own hands I created a replacement MCP-II that costs that same half the price and would be available after this mission.

That said, for this one mission, there might still be use to buy an about-to-be outdated Mk II for three tokens - and I would happily oblige anyone who wishes to take that trade.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15710 on: April 12, 2015, 03:55:11 am »

Do you have a better way of ensuring that, if people just keep fucking about, or threaten to destroy the game, the gm has a way to stop it?
Shock implants? Isn't that exactly what those are for?
And if someone tries to overload an amp, there's anti-space-magic measures as well in R&D and perhaps elsewhere.
To complete the set, shipboard mooks with amps and decent (though not exceptional) skills, or even just plain old killer robots.
And also traps. Gotta have traps to be activated on Steve's command.

One could say those aren't foolproof enough given the kind of stuff we sometimes deal with (random example: Ivan). I'm not gonna say it's the most elegant solution, but it sure is convenient to have. Not what I would've done personally, but I'm not exactly annoyed by it either.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15711 on: April 12, 2015, 03:55:49 am »

On the topic of a 'cubic amp'

I mistyped the units. The actual force for a cubic amp is so high that the only comparisons are with relativistic objects.

When I worked it out I found that you could have the punch of:

3 million 66 thousand and 682 fully laden jumbo jet airliners at maximum velocity,

OR

250,000 3-km long mine trains at 40kph

Really, really, really consider loading a 3-token kinamp onto all munitions. 2 is the most dangerous force in the universe (except for 3 and upwards, of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15712 on: April 12, 2015, 04:02:54 am »

On the topic of a 'cubic amp'

I mistyped the units. The actual force for a cubic amp is so high that the only comparisons are with relativistic objects.

When I worked it out I found that you could have the punch of:

3 million 66 thousand and 682 fully laden jumbo jet airliners at maximum velocity,

OR

250,000 3-km long mine trains at 40kph

Really, really, really consider loading a 3-token kinamp onto all munitions. 2 is the most dangerous force in the universe (except for 3 and upwards, of course.
Yeah, and then apply a kinetic amp on top of kinetic amp, to get 4!
((Been there, done that. Ask Sean about Hammerheads in particular. In the end, possible, but too expensive for the force range we're generally operating in - it really begins to shine the more punch the weapon originally packs, and that means more and more and more and more tokens to build/buy the weapon.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15713 on: April 12, 2015, 04:09:40 am »

I was talking about ship-ship weapons, actually.

It's not enough to just blow through 3 ships with one shot, you should hit them with enough force to make each bit of debris a relatavistic kill projectile too!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15714 on: April 12, 2015, 04:17:13 am »

Ah, well... Yeah, on the ship scale it would be quite more spectacular (not to mention efficient). Though, seeing that the Sword's cannons already use automanips to speed up projectiles (unlike most other UWM ships), I would not be surprised to know that they are already used for that - or there is a particular reason not to use them in this case.

Though, I think Hammer of Hephaestus projectiles already use kinetic amps to pulverise whatever they come across...
Also, at this point it might be efficient to put some thrusters on the projectile to allow it curved firing line to ensure more ramming events along its flight. But oh well, it's squarely Hephaestus OOC thread territory already.  ;)
Past Sigs

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15715 on: April 12, 2015, 04:33:07 am »

a 1-ton projectile impacting at 0.1c with a 3-token kinetic amp attatched has, instead of 10 billion kgms-1

729,000,000,000,000,000,000  kgms-1
(729 quintillion kgms-1)
(736 billion laden jumbo jets)

Sounds like a good investment to me.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 04:37:14 am by Dorsidwarf »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15716 on: April 12, 2015, 04:39:00 am »

Then again, if the original projectile is enough to reliably score a kill (not 100% sure if this is the case), and the enemy isn't dumb enough to cluster their ships to take shrapnel damage, is there really a point?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15717 on: April 12, 2015, 04:43:13 am »

Then again, if the original projectile is enough to reliably score a kill (not 100% sure if this is the case), and the enemy isn't dumb enough to cluster their ships to take shrapnel damage, is there really a point?

Weeeeell...

It does mean that every shot you score on a ship is a guaranteed kill (kinamps have an area of effect, according to when Faith went nutso)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15718 on: April 12, 2015, 04:44:18 am »

Also, it's downright orky.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #15719 on: April 12, 2015, 08:37:23 am »

I was told to come here and ask Nikita about the mj2 for 3 credits, I am willing to buy it off you.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!
Pages: 1 ... 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 ... 2205