Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493407 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #15330 on: April 08, 2015, 08:49:55 am »

MMI should not be exo, im not even sure it should be Aux for the most part.
Its literally just an implant that gives braincase functionality to the recipient and allows for additiobal connections to be established.

Advnced use however would definately be either Aux or Mind, unless you link into some sort of space magicky killbot in which case it would be exo to wield ye olde unstable magicks.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15331 on: April 08, 2015, 08:56:00 am »

The problem is that dex and mind is overpowered. Everyone puts points in them. If you make an implant that makes rolls that would normally be aux into dex or mind, you're making them even more overpowered.
I mean, imagine someone controlling a swarm of drones with merely dex and con rolls, while normally it would take a lot of aux skill. You'll be giving aux a major hit in usefulness.

And again, controlling things with your mind has always been exo. Only people not using exo for it I remember are doc mods.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15332 on: April 08, 2015, 09:00:24 am »

True, though making it exo does give an advantage to those who use that as main combat stat. But if it then indeed counts as taking up a brain slot, it might balance out again. I agree though that mind, but especially dex, are a bit op.

No, nothing that harsh. It's not like braindead people following the group around hurt in any way. Just give any mission equipment they have to others and rebalance the teams.

Maybe next time, but for now I'd just like to get missions started so things can fall into their normal fold again. Peeps wanna tinker!

That said, where there are limited mission places, then braindeads do kinda hurt (though pw has been lenient on the people limit this time).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:04:45 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15333 on: April 08, 2015, 09:26:22 am »

The problem is that Defensive Stats (Dex, Mind, End, and Fate) are overpowered. Everyone puts points in them.
fixed
Don't forget prayer as a defensive stat.
fixed
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:36:10 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15334 on: April 08, 2015, 09:34:43 am »

Don't forget prayer as a defensive stat.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15335 on: April 08, 2015, 09:37:12 am »

Don't forget prayer as an annoyance stat.

Fixed.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15336 on: April 08, 2015, 09:59:27 am »

Yeah, I called Dexterity, Endurance and Willpower the trifecta of survival before the mechanics change. In all RPG systems the equivalent of the "Agility" stat tends to be extremely useful, because not getting hit tends to be better than tanking the hit and reaction speed/reaction to surprises is also tied to it. A flat +1 End made it very hard for your brain to be pulped and willpower helped you avoid mindfuck.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #15337 on: April 08, 2015, 10:11:09 am »

Well, I mean, I prefer tanking hits to dodging them since I normally don't give a fuck about moving quick. But this also isn't an RPG in that you can tank hits for any decent amount of time.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15338 on: April 08, 2015, 10:13:55 am »

@Lenglon: It's more than them being defensive stats. Sure, Fate and End are useful, but Mind and Dex have extra usefulness on top of them being defensive stats. Dex also controls initiative and melee\thrown weapons that are not Uncon, plus it gives you a chance to not get hurt at all, Mind provides mind points for space magic users and allows people to roll to think and get info.

End on the other hand many times only mitigates the damage but does not stop you from getting hurt and becomes less relevant with armour (although a +2/+3 means that your chances of ending up permadead if hurt are extremely low and <0 means that even when armoured there's probably a chance of being harmed). End is also useful for environmental hazards like poision and radiation, but those don't come up very often. And Fate and Intuition only come up in specific circumstances (although intuition makes up for it by being able to provide info).

@RC: Sure, I understand, no need to do extra work if it's not going to help much.

And the Exo usefulness is sort of mitigated by it taking up a brain slot and the fact that you need to buy an extra piece of equipment and use compatible hardware for it to work. If it costs somewhere around 5-10 tokens and has something like a +1Aux +2Exo requirement or something similar it should be OK.

Unless I am misunderstanding what that thing is supposed to be

EDIT: @kj: Well, if you don't mind a high chance of being dead almost every mission, having high endurance could work, since unless you are hit by something really bad like a nuke or a manipulator overload, you'll survive with a good end roll. Put some points in Fate and buy some decent armour and you can tank everything, although you'd still probably end up dead. But hey, if the aliens are killing you, they're probably not killing someone else. Not everyone has to kill stuff to help complete the objective.

EDIT EDIT: Oh, and if you get some sort of Aux vehichle and put some points in that, you can use aux instead of dex while escaping. Maybe you can even get a literal tank/drone platform. Imagine some sort of flying armoured thing at the centre of a drone swarm. Could work. I'll keep it in my "ideas for next character" notepad. You start as that techie that always gets hurt but somehow always survives and end up as an Aux-based nigh-invincible techno-god-of-war, killing everything with his minions.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:02:17 am by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15339 on: April 08, 2015, 10:52:33 am »

The problem is that dex and mind is overpowered. Everyone puts points in them. If you make an implant that makes rolls that would normally be aux into dex or mind, you're making them even more overpowered.
I mean, imagine someone controlling a swarm of drones with merely dex and con rolls, while normally it would take a lot of aux skill. You'll be giving aux a major hit in usefulness.

And again, controlling things with your mind has always been exo. Only people not using exo for it I remember are doc mods.
gah, unbalancing again.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15340 on: April 08, 2015, 11:19:52 am »

gah, unbalancing again.
ER explodes. Piecewise's next project is just running a D&D game, since people already have the rules sorted for that one (the basic rules, anyway).
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15341 on: April 08, 2015, 11:22:38 am »

gah, unbalancing again.
ER explodes. Piecewise's next project is just running a D&D game, since people already have the rules sorted for that one (the basic rules, anyway).
From what I remember, Dex is OP in that too.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15342 on: April 08, 2015, 11:23:50 am »

Why settle for D&D? Might as well go GURPS. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #15343 on: April 08, 2015, 11:26:50 am »

@Paris:  So I see you found out my general plans for CS: GO.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15344 on: April 08, 2015, 11:27:39 am »

I guess I phrased it wrongly. Dex is not overpowered, it is simply... more likely to be useful due to the sort of missions we usually participate in and the way most people build their characters. Especially missions like the current one, where Dex and Con are important.

On missions that rely on anomaly exploration, it's usually stuff like Brain and Intuition and Exotic that get used a lot.

There aren't really any sort of... Fight Club missions or James Bond missions I guess.

Having things like genemods requiring End does help alleviate the problem and SpecOps missions do provide opportunities for less useful stuff to become useful.

It's simply a mater of statistics I guess. More situations coming up than others.
Pages: 1 ... 1021 1022 [1023] 1024 1025 ... 2205