Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493622 times)

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #13320 on: February 26, 2015, 07:33:02 am »

Ditto to the "amount is body-dependent, control is stat-dependent". I'd like to note that this could also mean that exo-suits/synthflesh/etc could still have a similar effect on the 'stat' component of strength, in addition to increasing the amount. Say the exo-suit computer can help out the user with control issues somewhat.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13321 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27:37 am »

The Strength stat determines not the actual strength, but the ability to control said strength, and apply exactly the required amounts of it. You can have the "strongness" be determined by the actual physical condition of the character, separate from the stat. That way you can have illogical things like switching to a robot or synthflesh body lowering your strength - your body is stronger, but you don't know how to control that strength. The loss of stats on death can be explained by this as well.
Dexterity is the same way. Your body's dexterity is a fixed parameter - it's determined by your body mass versus your strength. Knowing how to use your strength to get your body mass to move with the speed and precision you need to, is what the dexterity stat can be about.
Then you could have things like Battlesuits and exosuits affect these stats as well - unless you wear them constantly for long periods of time, your strength and dexterity while in them is reduced. Battlesuit and exosuit/exoskeleton control could be a separate "skill" thing, and at default levels anytime you're in a power assist device of some kind, your physical stats are back at zero, or whatever the starting number will be.

Or you just limit the max bonus one can get from physical stats to +1, indicating the difference between a novice and experienced/trained people. Anything further needs to come from suit/body. And say that every time a person gets a new suit/body, that person will spend whatever time needed of-screen to get to the equivalent skill level with his or her new thing. It already doesn't make sense one can't increase skills 'n stats through (VR)training, but that as well is needed for the game to run well.

I'd go for the system that's as simple as possible without being too unrealistic. We can probably explain away in whatever direction we need, so practical use (and thus also ease for gm) should have preference over being realistic in this particular case, as far as I'm concerned.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13322 on: February 26, 2015, 10:29:20 am »

"amount is body-dependent, control is stat-dependent"
Aaand actually I support that. At last it would make sense of portraying martial-arts masters and such things.

Then again it wouldn't be the same old ER if everything made sense and there were no bare-hands HGC-wielding brutes, capable of tossing small cars around :P
(kidding, of course)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13323 on: February 26, 2015, 01:23:18 pm »

The Eater is so big you can see it from different timezones, apparently?
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13324 on: February 26, 2015, 01:31:54 pm »

If the aliens haven't protected the artifact from recursive digitization or done something absurd like give it infinite memory, then trying to digitize itself could cause it to run out of memory and crash. Or simply run out of memory and consider its mission complete. Since it is a probe, when it runs out of memory it should stop gathering data and report. Unless it starts deleting old data to free up space, in which case it might end up deleting itself and everything in it.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13325 on: February 26, 2015, 01:35:33 pm »

Mission 18 fucking with mission 16. Great.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13326 on: February 26, 2015, 01:36:41 pm »

Umm, we might wanna hurry a bit :P
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13327 on: February 26, 2015, 01:40:13 pm »

Well, the xenocube is in the digitized hole. Now we wait for the timestop potion to wear off to see what horrors this has unleashed.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13328 on: February 26, 2015, 01:43:01 pm »

I wonder what effect a giant flaming hellbeast approaching the stratosphere is going to have on the weather forecast tomorrow on Q'Baja. I assume meteorological stations would be the first to pick it up. That or some kind of missile defense system?

Also, since ARM's inception, I think we're 3-for-3 in terms of globally important disasters per planets visited, if we count that thing with Grate on Hephaestus. I wonder if the UWM will incorporate that into their informative materials.

The Apocalyptic Revolutionary Movement. I can almost see it now.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:46:12 pm by Harry Baldman »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13329 on: February 26, 2015, 01:48:55 pm »

"And as you can see, next to this high pressure front moving in from the west we have Garganta, the burning hellbeast of the sky, coming by to claim its due. And now to Bob, with sports."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #13330 on: February 26, 2015, 01:54:57 pm »

...Am I missing something here? o_O

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13331 on: February 26, 2015, 01:58:15 pm »

...Am I missing something here? o_O
That's from mission 16, which is taking place on the same planet as yours, but on a different continent:
...but you do notice a strange glow off to the south east. It's too early for morning, but it looks vaguely like the first faint light of sunrise.
Presumably they are seeing the glow from your "false sun", the giant glowing alien flying above you.

EDIT: On the bright side, it's the perfect distraction. Nobody worries about bank robbers when the alien apocalypse is upon you. With some luck, the team will be able to use that to escape undetected.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:02:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #13332 on: February 26, 2015, 02:14:04 pm »

Hehe, BRIGHTside.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13333 on: February 26, 2015, 02:16:07 pm »

*rimshot*

I'm kind of glad M17 got wrapped up so the diplomatic party wasn't asked to deal with that horror being unleashed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13334 on: February 26, 2015, 02:33:23 pm »

M17 is actually backwards in time compared to the rest. Our mission took about a day to complete. So it's a perfect opportunity for us to attempt to violate the space time continuum and warn the others (thus causing piecewise to throw something horrible at us). By the time the planet has to deal with the after effects, we won't be on the ground. Although they might ask us to come down again to help. We could always deliver some humanitarian aid if we can spare it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:36:04 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 887 888 [889] 890 891 ... 2205