Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493470 times)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #12975 on: February 14, 2015, 11:31:11 pm »

Aw man... I was thinking I could toss it into tron, see what happens...

But yeah, thats fine, I guess. Someone has to do it.
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #12976 on: February 14, 2015, 11:32:41 pm »

Does anybody have major objections to me just destroying the flesh cube next turn? I'm thinking that it's about time we end this.
Well, it's perfectly possible it could kill you.

Also the people in the anomaly.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #12977 on: February 15, 2015, 02:38:52 am »

Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12978 on: February 15, 2015, 03:02:27 am »

Unfortunately, microwave manips expend energy on cooling things too. They're like powered entropy engines.

And the backblast from a kinamp sandwich going off is enough to fry you from even a good distance. The amount of released energy is equivalent to a small nuke. Having one on a hammer, and especially covering the outside of the hammer instead of just having one as a strike point, is a phenomenally bad idea.

I've actually no idea if the backblast destroys the kinamp sandwich itself, by the way. But Anton's little demolition device based on the kinamp sandwich assumes that it does.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 03:06:05 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12979 on: February 15, 2015, 03:58:59 am »

Unfortunately, microwave manips expend energy on cooling things too. They're like powered entropy engines.

And the backblast from a kinamp sandwich going off is enough to fry you from even a good distance. The amount of released energy is equivalent to a small nuke. Having one on a hammer, and especially covering the outside of the hammer instead of just having one as a strike point, is a phenomenally bad idea.

I've actually no idea if the backblast destroys the kinamp sandwich itself, by the way. But Anton's little demolition device based on the kinamp sandwich assumes that it does.

Well, my key assumption on this project was incorrect, as it turned out. What else to say. I'm going to think it over to find another power source that allows self-sufficiency and which is not that lethal to user.
And thanks for your help, of course.

EDIT: Is there generally a way to contain kinamp sandwitch explosive energy and convert it to usable energy? And if there is, how compact it can be made? Can I put a small nuclear reactor based on a tiny yet sturdy kinamp sandwitch in a hammer?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:23:52 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12980 on: February 15, 2015, 05:14:49 am »

Basically, if the backblast destroys the kinamp sandwich (it's made of regular materials after all), there's likely no way to prevent it from happening. You could use an automanipulator to maintain the device at a constant temperature I suppose, but it would burn out very quickly, and there's no telling if it would even work with the kind of energy the kinamp produces. Even in that case you'll be hit by the explosively disintegrating matter from the target at impact point, but that would likely be less of an issue.

All said, you would undoubtedly find much cheaper ways to do what you actually want to do in this case, because automanips aren't cheap, to make or maintain.

If you want an idea to pursue on your own, how about an electricity-generating metamaterial? Take the PSL ammo for instance, and instead of letting it grow into a brittle crystal, find a way to make it into a resilient piezoelectric brick. Make a hammer made up of two insulated halves, and metallic prongs on each end of each half, that push into the piezoelectric crystal brick in the core when the hammer strikes something. The piezoelectric material will generate electricity, and the conducting, but separated and insulated halves will direct the electric impulse into the closest conductor - usually the target that is being struck.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12981 on: February 15, 2015, 05:39:46 am »

If you want an idea to pursue on your own, how about an electricity-generating metamaterial? Take the PSL ammo for instance, and instead of letting it grow into a brittle crystal, find a way to make it into a resilient piezoelectric brick. Make a hammer made up of two insulated halves, and metallic prongs on each end of each half, that push into the piezoelectric crystal brick in the core when the hammer strikes something. The piezoelectric material will generate electricity, and the conducting, but separated and insulated halves will direct the electric impulse into the closest conductor - usually the target that is being struck.

That's a good idea. That would do the thing, of course. I just loved kinamp when I saw it, I guess.
And how about this: we put a Gauss-like propelled slug inside the hammerhead, so it punches the hitting surface from inside, and on the outer side there is a kinetic amplifier, so a force from inner punch added to usual blow strength and then squared. That would greatly increase the overall physical impact on target, and maybe even cause some surplus to cause a not-so-user-killling mini-blast on each strike. In case it is possible to build up some heat resistance for kinetic amplifier.
OR, we could combine these - say, we somehow manage to produce bricks of piezoelectric material and then use those bricks as accelerated slugs in construction described above. Then we have both destructive physical damage and electrocuting charge casted upon unfortunate target. That way, it would use two ammunition types at once, though.

Maybe I should stick with standard armory items, at least at beginning. Become familiar with their properties via experience. My character haven't been awaken yet, in fact.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:07:52 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12982 on: February 15, 2015, 06:26:46 am »

That sweet innocent feel of early stage of tinker addiction... Oh, the memories.
Welcome to the club, Comrade P.!  ;D You have great potential. Worry not, it's actually very nice and comfy here, and the walls are so friendly and soft and white...
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12983 on: February 15, 2015, 06:33:04 am »

Does Tinker club mainly consists of Russians or something? Or is there is just one in the head of it? What do I care, I totally want in anyway. And I know that by "club you are most likely mean the ones who express interest rather than an actual formation.

Okay now, nevermind. I have to wake Yaroslav up, find out about his gruesome fate after lending deal, rrrrraaage a little and then proceed to whatever I am up to right now.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:42:15 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12984 on: February 15, 2015, 06:54:47 am »

Do highly stable artifacts such as wireframe doodads count as space magic or exotic materials?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12985 on: February 15, 2015, 07:16:01 am »

Comrade p, your char page says you have the bonuses of a synthbody, but that shouldn't be so. You should have a regular robobody, with no bonuses to rolls.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12986 on: February 15, 2015, 07:21:06 am »

I was confused. I will remove these. You removed these, that is right. Now, am I getting it right that a robobody is just an alternative to flesh, and a synth-body provides you with unnatural abilities as listed? I confused these two terms, it appears. What are these rules for robobody that PW mentioned then?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:25:42 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12987 on: February 15, 2015, 07:22:33 am »

I was confused. I will remove these.

Done already! Such speed, much ninja.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12988 on: February 15, 2015, 07:40:17 am »

I was confused. I will remove these. You removed these, that is right. Now, am I getting it right that a robobody is just an alternative to flesh, and a synth-body provides you with unnatural abilities as listed? I confused these two terms, it appears. What are these rules for robobody that PW mentioned then?
You gain no stat bonuses from simply having it.
You do not reroll failed rolls.
You do not have cam eyes.
You feel no/reduced pain and do not bleed.
Your brain is in your chest so headshots dont kill you.
You can send messages with your brain.
You have a television for a head.
You can load programs onto it to do things or "enhance" your abilities.
You dont need a space suit.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12989 on: February 15, 2015, 07:46:08 am »

If you've been reading the discussions, then your confusion may have come from me using the term "synthoid" for the robobodies. The full term for the synthbody is "synthflesh body", and synthflesh is a specific substance in the ER-verse. Synthoids are just "synthetic bodies".

Pages: 1 ... 864 865 [866] 867 868 ... 2205