Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494050 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #8115 on: August 07, 2014, 01:10:58 pm »

Time to shoot self in heart in-mission so I can do the limbo game!
I'll let non-deads in for the moment. Particularly people who aren't very busy.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #8116 on: August 07, 2014, 03:03:49 pm »

He said battlesuits and synthflesh dont stack which is fair enough, which makes sense.

Exoskeletons though... not so clear. Although to be honest if you can lift 50 kg and your tuxedo can lift 100 kg i would expect that you could lift 125 kg or more.

It makes perfect sense to me, from what I know of exoskeletal design - the user isn't supporting the weight, the exoskeleton is. That's the whole point - it's not making you stronger, it's taking the load off of you. If you (attempt to) overload it, it doesn't transfer the excess load onto you. For that to happen, there would be structural failure in the exoskeleton.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8117 on: August 07, 2014, 04:40:19 pm »

I seem to remember the conversation involving using the Hammer as interplanetary artillery being you in favor of it, RC, and me pointing out ways it's not an advantage over conventional missiles.  ;-)  Oh well, none of that meant it was undoable or impossible, so go for it.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8118 on: August 07, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »

He said battlesuits and synthflesh dont stack which is fair enough, which makes sense.

Exoskeletons though... not so clear. Although to be honest if you can lift 50 kg and your tuxedo can lift 100 kg i would expect that you could lift 125 kg or more.

It makes perfect sense to me, from what I know of exoskeletal design - the user isn't supporting the weight, the exoskeleton is. That's the whole point - it's not making you stronger, it's taking the load off of you. If you (attempt to) overload it, it doesn't transfer the excess load onto you. For that to happen, there would be structural failure in the exoskeleton.
Except that's not how it works. An exoskeleton gives a +1 to str rolls, or +15 strength points. If someone has 5 natural strength, and they wear a 15 strength exoskeleton, then they can wield a 20 strength gun. That proves the arms are providing support as well as the exoskeleton.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8119 on: August 07, 2014, 05:08:52 pm »

Ooh, does my contributions for Missions 1 and 2 count? Because I'm planning to do same kind of clean up for all other missions and maybe add some fancy things like reading the story from viewpoint of any given character.

Your work on that has indeed been very good. However, I'm not going to give tokens for stuff in the past, wanna prevent setting dangerous precedent (actually thought long and hard on whether giving tokens for wiki jobs was smart, or if it would make the people who do it 'for free' right now feel shafted). Working for the wiki should still mainly be voluntary, the monetary incentive right now is because pw wanted me to thing of a way to get small jobs to newbies for them to earn a little bit tokens, and I didn't have anything that needed to be done IC (no reactors leaking anywhere). I tried to pick jobs that I thought wouldn't get done in a long time.

I'm considering adding that as a job though. Hmm. 1 token for every three full missions put in 'bookform' (including major stuff that happened on ship). Does this sound fair to everybody? I'm trying to make sure all the jobs require some work, either IC or OOC. Remember this is all still very experimental, if it ever gets 'out of hand' or if people feel things are unfair, I'll stop it or think of a better way (maybe restricting to IC jobs, though most that I can think of in that regard would be helping with tinker or Hep stuff).

Hey, Radio!  D'ya think you could add "verifying the stuff on this page" to your job list?  As is, it's still basically "syvarris thinks this is how it performs", and it'd be better if we could confirm it.  And it's a lot of easy, but time consuming, gruntwork.

I'm considering it, but gonna wait to add it, see how things work out for now. If this system works out, then yeah, it could be a good task.

I seem to remember the conversation involving using the Hammer as interplanetary artillery being you in favor of it, RC, and me pointing out ways it's not an advantage over conventional missiles.  ;-)  Oh well, none of that meant it was undoable or impossible, so go for it.

Apart from the missile going at relativistic speeds? But yeah, you kept trying to poke holes in the idea, which is an excellent way to evaluate the possibility of it. I always appreciate constructive criticism.

Except that's not how it works. An exoskeleton gives a +1 to str rolls, or +15 strength points. If someone has 5 natural strength, and they wear a 15 strength exoskeleton, then they can wield a 20 strength gun. That proves the arms are providing support as well as the exoskeleton.

Gameplay and story separation I suspect. Or maybe a person that's a bit stronger can push the suit to it's limits, but a synthflesh arm has way too much power behind it. If you wanna go along that route, there's a lot of things that don't make sense in terms of stats and how they reflect things in-game.

For example, if Xan buils a body with humongeous arms, he still can't lift for shit if rolls are involved.

If someone with 0 statpoints in strength gets a synthflesh body, then the bonus cancels out and he's as strong as a regular human. Even though it's the same body as that of another character, it's still weaker if rolls are involved.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 05:12:57 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8120 on: August 07, 2014, 05:19:21 pm »

Gameplay and story separation I suspect. Or maybe a person that's a bit stronger can push the suit to it's limits, but a synthflesh arm has way too much power behind it. If you wanna go along that route, there's a lot of things that don't make sense in terms of stats and how they reflect things in-game.
Feyri benefits from an exoskeleton, even though her arms are exactly as strong as syntharms.
I'll drop the argument here. Don't want to become GWG.

This changes my planned build for Dubley quite a bit.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8121 on: August 07, 2014, 05:21:15 pm »

Look at those examples I edited in. That's what I'm saying, sometimes stats don't reflect the way things 'should work' from an IC perspective. It's an artifact from the game system used.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8122 on: August 07, 2014, 06:13:00 pm »

One good way to help, RC, is if you use quantum mechanical communicators to minimize the time difference between course corrections by the target and course corrections by the missile.  If you have a spotter in place to tail the enemy, that is..

Doing that would make it from 'just a big missile' to a big missile with kinetic-kill vehicle capabilities.  Expensive, maybe prohibitively so, but very effective.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8123 on: August 07, 2014, 06:55:13 pm »

So I just went back and looked through the thread for the keys; apparently Faith had them last.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8124 on: August 07, 2014, 07:35:10 pm »

I'd recommend going for the center of mass personally, with failure drill being two to the chest and one to the head, fancy stuff like kneecapping people is liable to get you killed, of course, going into batlle is likely to get you killed so maybe you're feeling really lucky.

Also that failure drill is assuming whaterver you're shooting at has a head... check out the VR sometime, you might fight it...informative.

"Hey if you guys aren't just 100% *&^%ing with me (which you are), and i see some headless abomination with 8 arms running towards me, i'm gonna shoot it in the *&^%ing torso with the shotgun. But if we bust into this place and there's just a bunch of people in a restaurant sitting down to dinner? I really don't think we should go around kneecapping random people who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time."
Well *&^% me that guy wasn't even joking.

Guess i should be glad it only had 2 arms.

Wonder what he's doing now.

This made me laugh out loud. Good roleplaying Yobbo.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8125 on: August 07, 2014, 07:56:54 pm »

If May was still here, she'd ask Yttra why she keeps speaking in a random series of characters, (ex.: "*/^%$")

Shout-out to Radio for reminding me D'usse still had something to do.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:59:44 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8126 on: August 07, 2014, 08:42:45 pm »

I think it's either a product of stasis dementia, or a local form of cursing from whatever planet Yttra's from.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8127 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:49 pm »

Perhaps she learned to speak from an internet site with a language filter?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8128 on: August 07, 2014, 10:59:03 pm »

Perhaps she learned to speak from an internet site with a language filter?
Makes the most sense.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8129 on: August 08, 2014, 01:12:37 am »

I wonder how long Bubba is going to survive when he is so easy to manipulate? xD (Also since this current game is a Dex game and he has no dex, nor the intelligence to compensate)
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v
Pages: 1 ... 540 541 [542] 543 544 ... 2205