Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2492855 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #7905 on: August 02, 2014, 01:41:51 pm »

@syvarris: I think that the MK2 still has the heatfins. What's different from a MK1 is that it has no bulky heat exchange coil. Not that it would make much difference to your current action, since the Advanced MK1 the UWM uses has neither heat fins nor coil. Just saying.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7907 on: August 02, 2014, 02:24:13 pm »

Will someone on the ship speak with my character?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7908 on: August 02, 2014, 04:52:36 pm »

If Steve demands it though, you ain't really got a choice.

But yeah, since we seem to have a Super Competent R&D department on the Sword with lots of experience with alien tech, it'd be strange not to employ their services anymore. On the other hand, it would be fun for the Hep people, and make sense in-universe.

Hmm. Hey PW, would it be too late to retcon (part of) the scientist division having stayed on Hep to solve things like this? Or could we send them back with the next shuttle? They could have more space and facilities to work with as well. If not, what stuff will be handled by Hep people, and what by the Sword's scientists?
I unno. Hep won't have that much to do without stuff coming to them.

I think I have an elegant way of solving this problem, if you are interested.
Go for it.

Okay then. First, we ship some of the science crew to Hep. Or we say they were there and were working for Steve until now. Or we ignore the explanation like the brigands we are.

Then, the Hep players get access to a certain (let's say three for this example) number of SCIENCE! crews. Each SCIENCE! crew is a 'unit' representing a bunch of seasoned researchers, scientists and engineers, and can be assigned to various tasks to have a certain effect. For example, say one asks ARESTEVE to research for a material with X and Y properties. "Ok," ARESTEVE says, "I project it'll take me [12 real life days] to do that. However, if they now assign a SCIENCE! crew to it, the real life time is decreased to 9 days. If they assign a second SCIENCE! crew, it's lowered further to 8 days (diminishing returns for each additional crew). Or maybe they increase the rolls if those are needed (chance of a project working out, like finding a material with the desired properties).

To make things simple, a crew cannot be reassigned to another task until it's current one is finished, to ease on 'bookkeeping'.
This would bring with it the fact the SCIENCE! crews are another asset to be used, but they have to be fed and protected and such, as well as being a potential source for npc interaction.

Another example: three different artifact arrive on Hep. Simus does tests on no. 1, Anton on no.2, but Charles and Steve Saint are busy with something else. Now, ARESTEVE can start on the third, with one or more SCIENCE! crews to help. They'll work for a while, and give whatever results they get after time X (maybe decided by a dice roll). After that, you could assign them to use these results and try to get a working prototype working. More crews assigned lowers time needed, or increses odds if dice roll are involved or whatever.

For the record, you could use the same system for the human workers on Hep, but they'd be used for construction, repairing, maintaining or whatever(e.g. building another Hammer cannon takes 10 days, but assign a CONSTRUCTION! crew and it only takes 8 ).

You could use the wiki to easily keep track of what team is doing what.

The researchers that stay on the Sword are used for preliminary research before the artifact can be send to Hep, or doing custom stuff for troopers on the Sword (e.g. "Build me a program to do X for me.")

Thoughts?

@Radio/Paris

I, personally, have not been idly tinkering.  I've been frantically trying to finish a design for a new infantry weapon so that it's already in production by the time we need to ship it out, and was the guy who got the sods up and running.

I will admit that I could have done more, since most production orders are so simple.  For the most part, I either didn't think of trying it (exponentially increasing production capacity) or assumed someone else would do it (ship stuff).

*pats on back*

Ya did good kid, ya did good.

5.I want to know how many tokens it would cost, were we to put it into mass production and have it be included in the sword's new armory.  I do not want the cost of the suit that is needed to use it- only the rifle alone.

I think stuff from Hep should also be tested and proven good on a mission before being mass-produced. You could do some VR-testing for the moment though.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:19:44 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7909 on: August 02, 2014, 05:42:38 pm »

Reminds me of XCOM, I like.

Syvarris' gun looks good. I think just some VR tests would do. I'd be most interested in seeing its versatility and non-standard abilities though. Can it blow through doors? Can you carefully spill the material down to make mines? Does the electricity spread through conductive materials? Can the sparks cause fire or ignite flammable gasses? Things like that.

Edit: Oh, and if you get access to artifacts, you should ask the science crew if they have any tricks, insights or standard procedures. That could prevent a few accidents.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:45:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7910 on: August 02, 2014, 05:47:15 pm »

Reminds me of XCOM, I like.

Syvarris' gun looks good. I think just some VR tests would do. I'd be most interested in seeing its versatility and non-standard abilities though. Can it blow through doors? Can you carefully spill the material down to make mines? Does the electricity spread through conductive materials? Things like that.

Thing is, that would mean something designed on the Sword would need field-testing, like it used to, while Hep stuff would get a free pass. Dunno, seems just a bit like a double standard, though I guess needing a mission for testing would slow down development.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #7911 on: August 02, 2014, 05:55:19 pm »

Oh, I know! Have them build a blackship or a similar stealth recon/probe ship. Then have them send it on a small recon mission with a small number of sods. For example, I really wanted to send a message to hephaestus about sending a probe at that derelict titan carrier but then mission happened. Or they could send them to a dead or quiet world to search for artifacts. Or they could just have them take over a small civilian ship or asteroid base. They give the sods some standard and some new equipment and let them complete the mission. Then judge their effectiveness at debriefing. Like XCOM.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:57:47 pm by Parisbre56 »

yobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7912 on: August 02, 2014, 06:07:28 pm »

Hey, did Taddok still have the keys to the mission 14 diner building? Or did he give them to someone else?

Not that i really want to open this second floor door yet, but maybe someone could check if they work to unlock the roof-hatch.

Also we never actually took out the satellite dish on the roof. It's probably not doing anything harmful, but then what would a bunch of braindead cult inductees want a communications system for anyway? I have no idea what it could be doing, which is a little worrying.

Also careful triangulation could probably figure out what the dish is pointed at, which might well be interesting information.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7913 on: August 02, 2014, 07:25:46 pm »

Pretty sure someone else took the keys off me to open the hatch; so unless they gave 'em back I don't have them.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7914 on: August 02, 2014, 09:56:21 pm »

Next time you see Lars, tell him to look at your body with that amp of his, for something that isn't right. It might be hard so point him toward your sternum and then an inch or so to the left.

Oh dear!

I should look at the Doc instead.  Ha ha ha!

...How does Auron have 48 stat points if he's only survived three missions?

The Hep Defend/Boarding combo gave 8 points total, I believe, and most people who wanted stats got 10 points from the timeskip.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7915 on: August 02, 2014, 10:03:13 pm »

...How does Auron have 48 stat points if he's only survived three missions?
20 Natural + 10 mission 9 +5 mission 11 + 8 mission 12 + 5 timeskip
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7916 on: August 02, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »

Mission 13 people, what do you think? I'll have Milno join Lars in the turn after this one since Lars' mind control still isn't charged.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7917 on: August 02, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »

-massive snip-

Thoughts?

God, this would be awesome.

5.I want to know how many tokens it would cost, were we to put it into mass production and have it be included in the sword's new armory.  I do not want the cost of the suit that is needed to use it- only the rifle alone.

I think stuff from Hep should also be tested and proven good on a mission before being mass-produced. You could do some VR-testing for the moment though.

Proving weapons on a mission is pretty stupid, as Zako's MBL illustrated wonderfully; Whether or not a weapon is effective on a mission depends on the user's skill, the situations they're put in, and sheer luck.  Besides, we have plenty of resources on Heph to run wargames and such, if the VR can't simulate it well enough.

Anyways, I wasn't really thinking that would be it, and the gun would be put into mass-production- rather, I was asking if it's price would be low enough to make sense.  If it costs six tokens then it's not going to be a particularly good gun, and there would be much less point in finishing it up quick.

Syvarris' gun looks good. I think just some VR tests would do. I'd be most interested in seeing its versatility and non-standard abilities though. Can it blow through doors? Can you carefully spill the material down to make mines? Does the electricity spread through conductive materials? Can the sparks cause fire or ignite flammable gasses? Things like that.

I'd like to test it's capabilities further, but as I've said before, I'm trying to get it done quick so that there's a minimum of time wasted.  Extra functionality isn't going to decide whether or not it's a sufficiently good design.

Thing is, that would mean something designed on the Sword would need field-testing, like it used to, while Hep stuff would get a free pass. Dunno, seems just a bit like a double standard, though I guess needing a mission for testing would slow down development.

I had assumed that future prototypes made by Sword-board people would be sent to Heph for review.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7918 on: August 02, 2014, 11:54:24 pm »

I had assumed that future prototypes made by Sword-board people would be sent to Heph for review.
What about current prototypes like the one Charles is carrying? Does effectiveness against team-mates count for anything? :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7919 on: August 03, 2014, 06:04:44 am »

Cleared version of Mission 2 is open for peer review.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 526 527 [528] 529 530 ... 2205