Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494662 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #6090 on: June 14, 2014, 06:25:41 pm »

Could you perhaps link to that? I'm not sure what thread you tested that in.

Also, I'm probably gonna add (somewhere in the future) that thing about cutting lasers being able to cut through battlesuit given time, cause I kinda think there's an important difference between 'not capable' and 'practically immune'.
Next question, how effective is the cutting laser at range?  Test against a battlesuit at 100m, 500m, 1000m, 2000, and 3000m.
Cutting laser isn't really effective against battlesuits. Remember, their armor is made resistant to it using the reflective fibers that are spread through it. 

Here ya go.  I guess it depends on exactly how you interpret 'isn't really effective'.  I figured it meant 'has no real effect within a reasonable timeframe', because he didn't even give me a time for cracking armor at short range.  Then again, he might not have given me that because most of the ranges were pretty long.

I guess someone needs to verify it.  I did say that on the page, right?

About changing the page- do we have any example of a cutting laser actually damaging a battlesuit?  Ever?

In other news, I've decided to post my more insane ideas for improving our suits.  They're all really ideas at this point, rather than completed ideas, but the basic concepts are thought out.  Criticism welcome, because I'm sure I missed something obvious.

I wrote this on a phone while on caffeine, so be warned.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6091 on: June 14, 2014, 08:08:08 pm »

I'll be sure to incorporate some of those ideas into my ARMor project!

And since y'all encouraged me to buy XCOM (a waste of money until such time as I can get around the graphic issues on the Alien Base mission *grumble grumble*), I might as well share a video I found that makes me want to buy a related video game.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6092 on: June 14, 2014, 08:11:27 pm »

Two issues with the MkII replacement:

1.  The integrated medical suite, ignoring the irises, is extremely effective at keeping people stable.  People can get gutshot and basically ignore it and keep going.
2.  Full robots don't need a MkII (or MkI) at all in the first place; they provide zero benefit.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6093 on: June 14, 2014, 08:16:50 pm »

2.  Full robots don't need a MkII (or MkI) at all in the first place; they provide zero benefit.
...SO does this mean Magilla's purchase of the Mark 2 was a complete and utter waste of tokens on his part? Well, at least I know what I'm gonna do if I survive the mission.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6094 on: June 14, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »

Yep, sorry.  Honestly, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even be wearing it; hopefully if you point that out to PW he'll give you a full refund.

PW:  Can we get clarification on this?  Do fullbots wear suits at all?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6095 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:36 pm »

I just know I'll regret this, but what ideas do you already have for your 'ARMor' project?

Two issues with the MkII replacement:

1.  The integrated medical suite, ignoring the irises, is extremely effective at keeping people stable.  People can get gutshot and basically ignore it and keep going.

About the former: I know, I just don't value it, considering robots are better at it, and are effectively free.

As to the latter, I am fully aware of this:
Stripped medical systems:
MK.II suits are basically the most redundant equipment we have.  They're entirely useless for a robot, mostly redundant with fleshtechs (which we need for people with basic suits anyways), have a habit of turning their users into robots, and don't even actually protect from damage.  Trading the medical bits for actual armor means the suit keeps it's value after it chops it's user's head off, and stands a better chance at actually saving them from lethal things.  It also means we won't be vulnerable to dinky civvie weapons, and even stand a decent chance at surviving UWM small arms.

Honestly, the only reason I even decided to keep irises is so that a single bullet to the pinky doesn't kill a soldier.  Also so that more troops would get their neck severed by the neck iris.  Anyways, I could easily see keeping any systems that help preserve a severed brain.

...SO does this mean Magilla's purchase of the Mark 2 was a complete and utter waste of tokens on his part? Well, at least I know what I'm gonna do if I survive the mission.

Avoiding things like this is a primary reason for the Power's design.  Only the irises are redundant.

PW:  Can we get clarification on this?  Do fullbots wear suits at all?

PW said he assumes everyone always wears their suits unless they say otherwise, even if they're functionally useless.  Back before the boarding mission, I specified to make sure I wore my suit, and he said so.  Should I dig up the quote?

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6096 on: June 14, 2014, 08:46:04 pm »

Yeah, if Magilla survives, he's just gonna pawn off the suit to anyone that doesn't have it at a slightly cheaper price than from the armory. Say, 3-4 tokens.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #6097 on: June 14, 2014, 08:53:29 pm »

So, unrelated to the armor redux...

Has anyone though about remaking that 'America F*** Yeah' song for ARM?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6098 on: June 14, 2014, 08:56:55 pm »

@Syvarris: Maybe you want to add an override to the glove protection system, in case they are damaged but still functional.
Battlesuits can be damaged by cutting lasers, just not very much (remember this was from a sweep):
Spoiler: Evidence (click to show/hide)
Milnoplate is rather expensive and heavy, Perhaps it could be half milnoplate.
Red hands are not very useful. If you can buy a MK3, you can probably afford a good weapon so they probably won't be used much. Unless they're some kind of miniaturized laser rifle.
EDIT: Battlesuits have a main capacitor powered by a generator (Probably to allow the suit to draw more power than the generator can provide for a short ammount of time while doing things like going into overdrive) and a secondary battery supplying the Electrified Surface Defence System with power, just a little bit of info I got from tinker.
EDIT2: I have a feeling there will be a problem with Grate's dissection...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:20:11 pm by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6099 on: June 14, 2014, 09:01:07 pm »

I just know I'll regret this, but what ideas do you already have for your 'ARMor' project?
1. Add some utilities that everyone should have into a Mk I suit.
2. Add those and other utilities to Mk II and II suits.
3. Fiddle with them until the AM and piecewise agree to put my upgrades in the armory at good prices.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with other forms of armor.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6100 on: June 14, 2014, 09:10:21 pm »

So, unrelated to the armor redux...

Has anyone though about remaking that 'America F*** Yeah' song for ARM?

I remember Piecewise saying he'd give seven tokens to the first person to come up with a folk song about Milno.

Edit: after some searching, I can't seem to find any evidence of this, so I'm unsure of whether or not this actually happened. Pretty sure it did, but not sure enough.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:24:26 pm by kisame12794 »
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6101 on: June 14, 2014, 09:21:20 pm »

@Syvarris: Maybe you want to add an override to the glove protection system, in case they are damaged but still functional.

Good point, thanks.  I'll do that.

Battlesuits can be damaged by cutting lasers, just not very much:
Spoiler: Evidence (click to show/hide)

Thanks again!  I'll go edit the wiki.  Maybe I'll revive the overwatch project too.

Milnoplate is rather expensive and heavy, Perhaps it could be half milnoplate.

I thought Milnoplate was already half-battlesuit plate?  If so, it's not as severe cost as from the armory, because we'd be making it the same way we make battlesuits.  But it'll depend on how the costs come out- if we can fit full-body half-thickness milnoplate, and get a lightened exoskeleton, we'll probably go with that instead, if only to make it more accessible.

Red hands are not very useful. If you can buy a MK3, you can probably afford a good weapon so they probably won't be used much. Unless they're some kind of miniaturized laser rifle.

...Why aren't red hands useful?  I mean, the laser's pitiful, sure, but I'd think the electricity would be plenty enough to kill.  And I thought most of the price was from the six+ TPU generator- when compared to the exoskeleton, propusion systems, generator, and armor, a hand laser and spark gap should be practically free.  And it allows the user to toss around 11 TPU lightning strikes, which are even more powerful than a tesla arc.  It's less because it's a necessary feature, and more because it's easy and cheap, so we might as well.

1. Add some utilities that everyone should have into a Mk I suit.

Heh.  And what would those utilities be? :)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: June 14, 2014, 11:36:38 pm »

Well, the obvious ones include a power generator, a sub-exosuit (so I don't need to worry so much about recoil from the sibilus, variants, and other such weapons), and maybe some kind of built-in sidearm, as well as removing some of the more prominent weaknesses; I'm open to suggestions, though.
Sig

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: June 15, 2014, 12:08:00 am »

Well, the obvious ones include a power generator, a sub-exosuit (so I don't need to worry so much about recoil from the sibilus, variants, and other such weapons), and maybe some kind of built-in sidearm, as well as removing some of the more prominent weaknesses; I'm open to suggestions, though.
I agree for the most part with the Mk1 to Mk2 upgrade of no heating fins, if you don't have that in there, but if something has to go in your design, I would say the sidearm or the sub-exosuit. As for sidearm, the red hand could work very well if it's a 4 TPU generator, as it would already be part of the suit. Though it is still just a hand laser. Maybe upgrade it to regular laser rifle strength if that doesn't take too much space.

On another note, Astronautalis- Live Freestyle (2011) The audio gets a bit fuzzy in the middle, but the overall thing is just too good... Especially the finish and the finish after the finish.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: June 15, 2014, 02:33:58 am »

The Red Hand is a useful sidearm because it never leaves your hand, first and foremost. That it never runs out of power and can be used both lethally and nonlethally, as well as both at range and in melee is just a bonus. If there is ever a standardized sidearm for the ARM, some variant of the Red Hand is one of the best things you could use.

Actually, that electric glove project can just as well be folded into the Red Hand. It already does the same thing, in principle. Even has the safety.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 405 406 [407] 408 409 ... 2205