Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493197 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #5235 on: May 30, 2014, 08:15:07 am »

Okay not arguing anymore
*Continues to argue*
I know, right? I might debate up a storm, but at least I actually leave when I say I do.
Theres a difference between arguing and clarifying a final point.

If you think arm fails at public relations now, be glad i never went after the pill machine.

At least on of the newbs would already be a 6 foot tall bulletproof termite/mantis hybrid with monorazor scythe arms and the capability to disguise themselves as a guy wearing a raincoat by folding their wings over themselves and covering their face with a two part bone mask.
I doubt it. The pill machine is too unpredictable at the moment, and only testing, trial, and error is likely to change that.
Still, once I do, I intend to make pill upgrades available to everyone.
Then youd be wrong. pill machine is easily predictable. Testing, trial, and error is likely to prove me right.

Pill machine upgrades are already available to everyone on haphaestus, all you gotta do is prevent Simus from shutting you down because you forgot to ask for permission.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: May 30, 2014, 08:20:43 am »

Say, piecewise, there's a bit of a problem one of the bigger, older games is having with things like balance and handling tons of players. Would you be interested in advising them on how to fix it?
Mind if I ask which one that would be? The only I could even guess is the one magical girl game I think you're in?
Go go request aid :D
Thoughtful of ya to do that GWG.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: May 30, 2014, 08:37:13 am »

I'd request aid too, but it's kind of too late for my games.

* Sean Mirrsen gazes solemnly upon the threads long gone quiet.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: May 30, 2014, 08:42:19 am »

They were filled with delicious madness, though!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5239 on: May 30, 2014, 08:47:19 am »

still getting used to this new keynord and will be leaving in all my mistakes for the sake of humor.

Which game is this and what is the probnlem they are having exactly? Because the easiest two ways of helping if they're just havning prohlems keeping up is

1.reduce the number of players
2.reduce the number of rolls/hte complexity of the rules. Less rolls, less book keeping, less hassle, etc.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: May 30, 2014, 08:49:30 am »

Say, piecewise, there's a bit of a problem one of the bigger, older games is having with things like balance and handling tons of players. Would you be interested in advising them on how to fix it?
Mind if I ask which one that would be? The only I could even guess is the one magical girl game I think you're in?
Correct.

Okay not arguing anymore
*Continues to argue*
I know, right? I might debate up a storm, but at least I actually leave when I say I do.
It's not "clarifying a final point" if you keep arguing after that, now is it?

Then youd be wrong. pill machine is easily predictable. Testing, trial, and error is likely to prove me right.
Reread my post and you'll note an "at the moment". We don't understand the pill machine, and without testing we're not going to. That's why we need to test it to figure out what we need to put in the pills to make the modifications we want.

Pill machine upgrades are already available to everyone on haphaestus, all you gotta do is prevent Simus from shutting you down because you forgot to ask for permission.
I mean that we'd have some shipped to the Sword somehow and added to the Armory.

Which game is this and what is the probnlem they are having exactly? Because the easiest two ways of helping if they're just havning prohlems keeping up is

2.reduce the number of rolls/hte complexity of the rules. Less rolls, less book keeping, less hassle, etc.
The game is RotMG. The problems are...well, it's hard to agree on what they are, but it's generally agreed that big ones are lack of balance and lack of cohesion. Not helping matters is that the rules are basically nonexistent, so whenever we come to a combat whoever's running that plot has to make up his own rules. Oh, and the GM's almost never there, so the players are running the asylum.
We're thinking that cleaning the slate and starting over might be an important part of the solution.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5241 on: May 30, 2014, 09:15:45 am »

Correct.

Okay not arguing anymore
*Continues to argue*
It's not "clarifying a final point" if you keep arguing after that, now is it?

Reread my post and you'll note an "at the moment". We don't understand the pill machine, and without testing we're not going to. That's why we need to test it to figure out what we need to put in the pills to make the modifications we want.

I mean that we'd have some shipped to the Sword somehow and added to the Armory.

The game is RotMG. The problems are...well, it's hard to agree on what they are, but it's generally agreed that big ones are lack of balance and lack of cohesion. Not helping matters is that the rules are basically nonexistent, so whenever we come to a combat whoever's running that plot has to make up his own rules. Oh, and the GM's almost never there, so the players are running the asylum.
We're thinking that cleaning the slate and starting over might be an important part of the solution.

If theres anything my games have taught me it's that great balance isn't technically required to have a fun game. you just have to have some semblance of it and then adjust on the fly.

as per rules I would say they should at least have a hard set of core rules bout how the game should work. Start like this:

1. What exactly is the experience you want to be giving your players, what are the major mechanics of the game. Because those are what should inform the rules and how they're handled. A game that emphasizes combat should handle and be built very differently from a free running or political intrigue game.

2. Gather up some examples of experiences similar to the one you want your players to have. In this case, watch MG anime and keep a list of things you thought were cool and that you'd like to happen in the game.

3. Play around with rules and methods that would allow the stuff in step 2 to be translated into game form with at least a framework of objective, deterministic rules. For instance, In perplexicon, interpreting the effect if spells was entirely subjective and left to the GM, but how you cast those spells was all nice hard rules, and that casting process provided enough input that you could be reasonably sure what you'd get.

4. Run tests, ask for feedback, tweak what doesn't work.

Hell, if you wanted to explain to me exactly what goes on in this game I would be willing to give writing up a set of rules a shot, though no guarantee it would please anyone.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: May 30, 2014, 09:47:02 am »

Well, balance isn't needed for fun, but we're at the point where enemies are either a pushover or nigh-invulnerable and noncombat things are basically a nonissue.

Explain the game? Alright. Basically, there's a mess of characters with various powers, often unrestricted, who occasionally receive calls to deal with various problems. Also there's character development between missions, though a lot if it is kinda...cliche and dull to read. In theory, the latter is the main focus. In practice, the active characters get dragged into battles that take weeks or longer to complete.
What standard rules there are are here. It's not much, but there are some numbers.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5243 on: May 30, 2014, 10:09:39 am »

If combat isn't the focus, why not ditch numbers entirely?  Have combat be all about description of effects (which the focusing and casting of such left to the players) and the reactions to the attacks of the enemies, which is scripted by the GM?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: May 30, 2014, 10:10:42 am »

Chunky Salsa!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5245 on: May 30, 2014, 10:11:16 am »

@darkpaladin109: piecewise's warnings are either good-natured, useful things trying to prevent you from getting horribly killed or maimed without a chance to react or a facet of mind-fucking performed by alien artifacts. Choosing what to do is ultimately up to you, but it does seem the former in this case (green does seem to mean wearables or something along those lines). It's hard to accurately determine what's actively trying to kill you when it involves aliens.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5246 on: May 30, 2014, 10:11:49 am »

If combat isn't the focus, why not ditch numbers entirely?  Have combat be all about description of effects (which the focusing and casting of such left to the players) and the reactions to the attacks of the enemies, which is scripted by the GM?
Partly because the missions are still important, partly because the game it's descended from was a lot more focused on the whole Overarching Alien-Invasion Plot thing.
Still, it's not a bad idea...although it could easily make the balance problems worse. Worth consideration.
Sig

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:06 am »

Or something like Mesk's artifact, which wasn't really dangerous but changed him quite a bit.

EDIT:

Partly because the missions are still important, partly because the game it's descended from was a lot more focused on the whole Overarching Alien-Invasion Plot thing.
Still, it's not a bad idea...although it could easily make the balance problems worse. Worth consideration.

If there's no numbers, then there is no balance.  Just because someone talks about summoning death meteors from hell doesn't mean it has to actually kill everything.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5248 on: May 30, 2014, 10:15:36 am »

Well, balance isn't needed for fun, but we're at the point where enemies are either a pushover or nigh-invulnerable and noncombat things are basically a nonissue.

Explain the game? Alright. Basically, there's a mess of characters with various powers, often unrestricted, who occasionally receive calls to deal with various problems. Also there's character development between missions, though a lot if it is kinda...cliche and dull to read. In theory, the latter is the main focus. In practice, the active characters get dragged into battles that take weeks or longer to complete.
What standard rules there are are here. It's not much, but there are some numbers.
I've seen something similar to that sort of "use whatever power you want" thing, in a game called "Don't rest Your Head", the rules to which I could post but to do so would probably be breaking copyright so I'll just say that they're out there if you were inclined to find them.

I actually did something somewhat similar with apotheosis, a combat test I ran with toaster a while back. You had "magic power" and could do basically whatever you wanted, but the more outrageous, the more power it used.  It's hard to tell from simply glancing at the rules, but I would guess a lot of the imbalances and such come from the fact that powers are rather arbitrary in how much energy they use and can be completely OP at times, forcing the GM to create horrifically powerful monsters which no one can beat as a counter?

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:40 am »

Chunky salsa is a cool way to do damage in my opinion.

Not sure why though.
Pages: 1 ... 348 349 [350] 351 352 ... 2205