Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489677 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #3765 on: May 13, 2014, 12:06:36 am »

I am quite pleased with my one Nyars acquisition, especially because I got it for free.

I too am quite pleased with my one Nyars artefact, which I also got for free.

And Kri, that sounds more like voluntary hazing. It would also be funny as all get out.

I approve.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: May 13, 2014, 12:09:32 am »

Wait, how many sides does a heptagon have?

Seven.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: May 13, 2014, 12:10:20 am »

Buy a decagon, then. Even more dangerous!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: May 13, 2014, 12:31:32 am »

I don't think Nyars has those.
Edit: Also, what happens if the brain survives? Are you considering that a death, or do you bring them back, then send them out with the artifacts again and another body, then repeat until they actually die?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:36:58 am by Beirus »
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: May 13, 2014, 12:45:36 am »

I don't think Nyars has those.
Edit: Also, what happens if the brain survives? Are you considering that a death, or do you bring them back, then send them out with the artifacts again and another body, then repeat until they actually die?

Hmm... brain survival may be partial death of sorts. For some artifacts, it would be the end of the experiment due to use restrictions, so those artifacts would be returned to the pool and assigned according to the death pool, using the cause of body loss. At that point, would be up to us whether it would continue until they died or if that would be the end of the hazing and they get to keep any artifacts they can still use.

If no one wins the pool, I'd say any still useable artifacts are added back to the pool as something for the next 'user', or perhaps offered up for sale or auction as 'pre-owned, pre-tested' artifacts (don't ask what happened to the last owner, proceeds go to the next victim :P )

Edit: May also be reasonable to say it's a 1 mission thing. Which makes the deal as follows: we'll give you the metric ton of artifacts. Use all of them without dying in the next mission, and you can keep them. If you don't use all of them, this process will continue until you do or die :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:53:16 am by Kriellya »

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: May 13, 2014, 01:06:25 am »

How would people be picked to, heh, "volunteer" for this? A big roulette wheel? Unless someone actually wants to volunteer. What would be the mission cutoff between noob and not-noob be, if we do the wheel o' !!FUN!! ?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: May 13, 2014, 01:15:31 am »

I thought it was voluntary. I want a large green box for Jason, if this becomes a thing and you need a tester.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: May 13, 2014, 01:18:09 am »

I think the idea might be hilarious, but I don't really see the logistics working out. What if some people don't want to add to this fund? If a really good one is found, who gets it? And a really really bad one? And what if it's one-time use, or is otherwise not passable?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: May 13, 2014, 01:42:15 am »

I think the idea might be hilarious, but I don't really see the logistics working out. What if some people don't want to add to this fund? If a really good one is found, who gets it? And a really really bad one? And what if it's one-time use, or is otherwise not passable?

Most of it's 'hilarity for hilarity's sake', I think :P

The logistics are that it doesn't really need to be a 'fair' or 'zero-sum' system. After all, all we're really trying to do is allow players that want to incentivize the use of the Nyras artifacts, but who don't want to risk their characters, to do so by giving new characters a giant pile of Nyras artifacts :P
 The reward isn't really the artifacts, its in getting more information about what the symbols mean and what sorts of things are in those boxes. And in seeing what sort of nonsense that PW comes up for them, because those are some of the most ridiculous and awesome parts of this game :D

Part of the 'balance' is that you have to guess how the victim dies to win artifacts. Not an easy feat, given how ridiculous these artifacts can get. A more balanced idea might be that tokens added to the pool contribute to a bank. When the user dies, and artifacts that are still usable are offered up for auction, and you can use some amount of the tokens you've thrown into the pool to bid on artifacts.

---

An entirely more functional system might be a sort of investment program, which could work from either a 'pool' or an individual. From the individual perspective, I (a vet) would say that I am willing to fund 'research' on, say, Large Blue hexagons. Or maybe just Large Blues. Whatever. Any player can then come along and take me up on the offer, and we will work out some sort of funding agreement; say, I pay 6, they pay 2. We go buy the artifact, then they take it and are compelled to use it for at least one mission. After the mission is complete, one of us can decide to buy the other out of their share and be the sole owner of the artifact. If the 'researcher' dies and the artifact recovered, it will get delivered back to the 'investor'.

For a pool, it would work in essentially the same way, except the funds would come from a group of investors, and the artifacts would go back into the pool if the 'researcher' died or gave up their share.

I like this because it's kind of flexible, terms wise. If the artifact is consumable or one-use, it's honestly negotiable either way. Since they are compelled to use it, they're likely at quite high risk, depending on the power level of the artifact. However, they will also get all the benefit, materially. As I keep saying, I'm more interested in this for !!SCIENCE!! than profit, and there is much !!SCIENCE!! and entertainment value to be had by giving these things to *other* people :P

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3774 on: May 13, 2014, 02:29:06 am »

The Deathcube is still in the Sword's rec room. Two tokens to whoever figures out how to use it.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: May 13, 2014, 02:30:22 am »

The Deathcube is still in the Sword's rec room. Two tokens to whoever figures out how to use it.

*never enters the rec room again. Asks Steve to move a VR unit to the other end of the Sword*

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: May 13, 2014, 02:40:04 am »

Or, you set up a pool and let people 'borrow' tokens from it to buy Nyars artifacts, but they're forced to pay them back as soo as they can. Risk for 'investors' is lowered, and the one using the fund gets to keep the thing. Or he can sell it for good money.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: May 13, 2014, 03:24:57 am »

Apparently I'm a weasel in Dead Man Running. Not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do now.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: May 13, 2014, 03:32:18 am »

Apparently I'm a weasel in Dead Man Running. Not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do now.

A good place to start would be to give all your DD to me, I reckon.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #3779 on: May 13, 2014, 04:44:03 am »

Go back to your forest and spend some time with your weasel family before you go back to the city to prey on the noses of unsuspecting humans?

Also, I got an idea! Modify Gilgamesh's ESDS so that it can channel power to the battlesuit's capacitors. That way, I can do the following:
team is fighting a very strong opponent
rip some power cables from the wall
call out "Hey asshole!" in classic action movie hero fashion
jam the power cables on the suit and blast the enemy with an overcharged shot from the rainbow cannon when he turns to look, hopefully at the right moment so that I can see the look of surprise in his face before he's evaporated
say appropriate one liner ("I hope I just made your life a bit more colourful." "He didn't expect my extra juice." "Oooh, watt was that?" "Volt you say he's medium rare or well done?") while ripping the now smoking power cables off of Gilgamesh

The only way anyone is ever gonna kill jim these days is surprise
2 lame jokes:
So Jim is vulnerable to heart attacks?
So Jim is vulnerable to the Spanish Inquisition?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:07:27 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 2205