Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2431156 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2640 on: April 12, 2014, 09:19:15 am »

...And this is a good thing, how?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2641 on: April 12, 2014, 09:28:29 am »

@GWG: It's my favourite question from the Voight-Kampff test. It's absurd (why would a tortoise be in the desert?) but it is a nice description/story/question and it produces the greatest emotional response (at least for me) which is what the test is supposed to measure.

If the doors open to a firing squad of sods or a grenade...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2642 on: April 12, 2014, 09:28:43 am »

It won't automatically open, giving people in the elevator a chance to get their assorted fecal matter together and react appropriately to whatever may be beyond the doors. Or to elect to exit the elevator by other means.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: April 12, 2014, 10:05:01 am »

@GWG: It's my favourite question from the Voight-Kampff test. It's absurd (why would a tortoise be in the desert?) but it is a nice description/story/question and it produces the greatest emotional response (at least for me) which is what the test is supposed to measure.
1. Two seconds on Google. It's an American movie; Americans call the ones that live on land tortoises, and the ones that live in water turtles.
2. The only response it would elicit from me is confusion. "I dunno. That doesn't sound like something I'd do, so I can't use my knowledge of myself to figure out why the hypothetical me would do that."

It won't automatically open, giving people in the elevator a chance to get their assorted fecal matter together and react appropriately to whatever may be beyond the doors. Or to elect to exit the elevator by other means.
1. We won't know what's on the other side until we open the doors.
2. We can't really exit by other means.
3. How would the UWM know we were exiting through that elevator at that time, fast enough to scramble a sodsquad there?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2644 on: April 12, 2014, 10:18:53 am »

1. Two seconds on Google. It's an American movie; Americans call the ones that live on land tortoises, and the ones that live in water turtles.
2. The only response it would elicit from me is confusion. "I dunno. That doesn't sound like something I'd do, so I can't use my knowledge of myself to figure out why the hypothetical me would do that."

1. We won't know what's on the other side until we open the doors.
2. We can't really exit by other means.
3. How would the UWM know we were exiting through that elevator at that time, fast enough to scramble a sodsquad there?
1. Lars got a "warning from the gods" written in ominously large text. Which was probably an accident, but to quote a certain kung-fu master turtle, "there are no accidents".
2. The elevator has a floor, three walls other than the door, and a ceiling. Some of you have laser weapons, and I think at least one amp.
3. Doesn't have to be a "response". Could be just a host of laser turrets or the back entrance to the Sod shower room. Just a bad place to be an obvious invader at this time.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #2645 on: April 12, 2014, 10:24:21 am »

@GWG: The test is supposed to measure emotional response. It doesn't matter how you answer them. It matters how your body answers them for you. Much like a polygraph.
EDIT: Huh. There ARE desert tortoises. The more you live the more you learn...

And may I remind you of the earworm mission? They made another exit for the elevator. And it was fun...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:30:22 am by Parisbre56 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: April 12, 2014, 10:25:42 am »

Sean:
1. Or kung fu master tortoise, to Americans. Didn't I just say that? :P Anyways, I'm a bit doubtful that we'd have to worry about anything that would be stopped by the door.
2. So? We'd end up, what, in the elevator shaft? We'd just cause more damage to the ship we're trying to capture, make a bunch of noise, possibly kill one or more members of the team, and end up facing the same thing anyways.
3. And how is this different than literally every other section of corridor in the entire ship?

Paris:
Does confusion count as an emotion? It seems like robots (or whatever replicants are) could get confused.
Earworm mission?
Sig

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2647 on: April 12, 2014, 11:38:55 am »

The Earworm Mission is a reference to Mission 3, where member(s) of the team, notably Feyri and Jim, were... infected, by a sentient sound.

And the V-K test measured empathy, not emotion. The two are not the same.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 11:40:57 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: April 12, 2014, 11:40:12 am »

Mission 3 actually. >.> Mission two was the one with Erik.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2649 on: April 12, 2014, 01:27:43 pm »

Because...

Also, looks like all that prayer has paid off.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: April 12, 2014, 07:35:25 pm »

And the V-K test measured empathy, not emotion. The two are not the same.
Empathy, by way of emotional responses.

Because...
Where does the Internet find the time to make this crap?
Anyways, again--what kind of trap does leaving through a route other than the door, or staying in the elevator, lead to a better situation than dealing with the problem?
Sig

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: April 12, 2014, 08:04:23 pm »

And I was here Her father fell.

And I saw him fight, it still scares me.

So I was doing some research on an unrelated topic for the wiki, and stumbled across this little tidbit.  The capitalization of "Her" caught me- especially when I remembered that riddle PW gave us about the AM: 
"First there were nine
Then there were five
Now two remain"

I'm starting to wonder if we should split the "important NPCs" page on the wiki into a page for each person, so that we have a place to dump this info.  I had to search the ER talk thread to find the exact phrasing of the riddle.  Huh.  It was already dumped in that article, albeit without context.  Perhaps I should have checked before saying anything.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: April 12, 2014, 08:15:37 pm »

It's the internet yo.

Anyways, again--what kind of trap does leaving through a route other than the door, or staying in the elevator, lead to a better situation than dealing with the problem?

So you can slip out the back before they know you were there, at the worst you'll see that nobody cares. You don't want to be around when it all goes down, even heroes know when to be scared.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: April 12, 2014, 08:40:19 pm »

It's the internet yo.
True. And I just finished a compilation of clips from various parodies of Let It Go, so I don't have much room to complain.

So you can slip out the back before they know you were there, at the worst you'll see that nobody cares. You don't want to be around when it all goes down, even heroes know when to be scared.
Assuming that they somehow don't notice that you're cutting your way out of the elevator, and that you go somewhere safer, and that they don't follow/head you off.

Is there a universal psychokinetic amplifier, and if so, how much does it cost? (And why isn't it on the armory list?)
There probably is, but from the folks we've seen suspected to have one...either you need to hook up various vital brain bits to amp stuff, or you need whatever happened to the AM (which is probably dangerous, expensive, and stupid to give random convicts).
Sig

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: April 12, 2014, 08:44:53 pm »

I'm fairly certain there is, I was just asking to get confirmation and because I was asking the other question from that post anyway.
And I doubt having one requires any of that, since the universal manipulator doesn't.
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178 179 ... 2205