Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2486231 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #285 on: February 04, 2014, 03:53:05 am »

Another involves something thats been orbiting on the far edge of a solar system for hundreds of years
This one sounds interesting. >.>
Yeah I like the sound of this.  Seems to be closer to the original conception of the game.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:02 am »

Wait, "Earth-3"? Did they blow up the first two or are they naming systems after major planets and not stars?
Original Earth has been turned into a museum world of sorts. Naming other planets after Earth is just people being people.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #287 on: February 04, 2014, 08:37:52 am »

Wait, "Earth-3"? Did they blow up the first two or are they naming systems after major planets and not stars?
Original Earth has been turned into a museum world of sorts. Naming other planets after Earth is just people being people.
Yeah. Same reason they named a planet China. Or, more accurately, they named at least 9 planets China.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 04, 2014, 08:48:21 am »

The fact we can lose and end up getting things worse is probably a warning we should put our serious faces on when the most important missions pop up.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 04, 2014, 08:51:55 am »

Yeah. Same reason they named a planet China. Or, more accurately, they named at least 9 planets China.
Maybe it is China. With their population growth rate, nine planets in a few centuries sounds about right.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 04, 2014, 08:54:42 am »

...Isn't that kinda small?
And aircraft suffer a number of disadvantages from needing to be, you know, light enough to not be stuck on the ground.

Yes, quadcopters are mostly limited to minor civilian stuff right now.  And yes, the ones that people can own are a tad small to be combat aircraft.  Obviously you would have to upscale them if you wanted to mount gatling lasers or whatever it is that Sean's mounting on his ponies.

I would like to point out that we don't have any equine robots that work particularly well right now, either.  IIRC, mostly because we don't have technology that can control them well enough.  And possibly because we don't have a decent enough equivalent for the muscles.

Now, this was suggested to me by one of those enthusiasts, but he did a pretty good job at convincing me they would work well, despite my initial skepticism.  The biggest two problems that I see are downsizing the vehicle enough to fit through doors while still having all that stuff, and being useless in a vacuum.

Mentally, I'm thinking of it as similar to a small helicopter.  After all, we currently have combat helicopters that are pretty dang effective.  This would just be much smaller, more manueverable, and more durable.  Compared to rocket drones, it should be able to carry more non-fuel weight, because you could power it with nuclear stuff.  That would also give it an obscene operational time, if everything else electrical is anything to go by.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 04, 2014, 09:34:05 am »

Funny you should mention the quadcopters.

Already had plans for a generator-driven ducted electric fan flight system. :P I even thought of using it for scout drones around Hephaestus, though you're free to propose the idea in-character - Anton will have his hands full enough even just proposing the Artee. :)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 04, 2014, 09:39:23 am »

Sean, what do you imagine the laser rifle looking like?

My mental image is of the laser rifle from fallout. Just with a invisible laser beam instead.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 04, 2014, 09:56:55 am »

By the reference picture PW gave me, I imagine it pretty much as a somewhat segmented metallic brick with a hole in one end and a handle on another.

Drop the atomic stock and the underbarrel Tesla Saber, and what's left is the basic Laser Rifle as I see it.

Also, while we are on the topic of turbofans et al - (warning, heavily pony picture). Not planning anything of that kind visually of course, but the point is that the Artee is based off a flying horse in design, and already incorporates a powerful generator to drive any potential ducted turbofans. And it can fold the fan-wings to fit into doorways. Sacrifices the two articulate weapon mounts, but it can be compensated for.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 10:06:43 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 04, 2014, 10:17:01 am »

I thought we had an advantage over UWM because:
1. We do lots of genetic modification, which UWM is way against.
2. We do big synthflesh things, which... I think UWM doesn't like?

So how large would a synthflesh organism need to be in order to be fully sentient?

Also, If we get our own sub-board, I'm wanting TINKER THREAD.
Advantage the UWM fleet has over you:
1. Orbital superiority

Good luck dealing with that when they can just wipe you out via liberal application of firepower.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 04, 2014, 10:45:57 am »

I thought we had an advantage over UWM because:
1. We do lots of genetic modification, which UWM is way against.
2. We do big synthflesh things, which... I think UWM doesn't like?

So how large would a synthflesh organism need to be in order to be fully sentient?

Also, If we get our own sub-board, I'm wanting TINKER THREAD.
Advantage the UWM fleet has over you:
1. Orbital superiority

Good luck dealing with that when they can just wipe you out via liberal application of firepower.
In order to have orbital superiority, they need to be able to stay in orbit. And we have lots of anti-orbital defenses just for that purpose. Plus, once again, the advantage we have is that the UWM don't really want the infrastructure of the planet destroyed - meaning we'll only see preventative bombardment, and they'll mainly try to just counter-invade us.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 04, 2014, 10:49:23 am »

They don't need to be directly overhead for kinetic bombardment to work. And they're far more likely to cripple the facility to make the invasion easier: They can repair it afterwards...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 04, 2014, 11:12:20 am »

Yeah, I'm actually expecting this game to end in a bleak, but good way.

Essentially we'll play god and loose a new Altered war, UWM will have to step up to clear them out, and in the process will get the rust cleaned out of their cogs, so to speak.
So hopefully after that they'll be good for another 200 years, and we'll all be publicly crucified.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 04, 2014, 12:25:17 pm »

Though, I will say that, depending on how badly you fuck it up, it could end the game in vastly different, vastly more bleak ways.

But you would never do anything bleak!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 04, 2014, 12:37:45 pm »

Yeah, I'm actually expecting this game to end in a bleak, but good way.

Essentially we'll play god and loose a new Altered war, UWM will have to step up to clear them out, and in the process will get the rust cleaned out of their cogs, so to speak.
So hopefully after that they'll be good for another 200 years, and we'll all be publicly crucified.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking, just without altered.  Really, the scenario Steve has given us is highly illogical- using homicidal prisoners to spark a revolution, and having them remain in any semblance of a position of power?  Who would do that?

Right now, I think Steve is just using the HMRC as a tool for some plan of his.  It might be simply expanding his control, it might be just giving the UWM a good kick in the behind, but I really doubt he is actually wanting to put ARM in control. I will be very surprised if it ends up that Steve has been completely honest with us.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 2205