Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1641 1642 [1643] 1644 1645 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491732 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #24630 on: November 10, 2015, 01:53:46 pm »

Similarly, accelerating really fast allows you to simulate really strong gravity.  I don't remember the numbers, but there's certain G thresholds beyond which the human body will die or take damage.  This is one reason why we need people to be in stasis during certain manuevers.  However, if you need the crew to be constantly alert and watching sensors, stasis isn't really an option.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24631 on: November 10, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »

Hey PW,

I don't even know if you're working on the ER game at the moment, and obviously you don't want it becoming a free-for-all suggestion scrum, but purely in the name of furthering inspirational qualities, and it's not fully primary source anyway, could I suggest using something along the lines of these images as icons if you have a stat/skill system like that of ER itself?

Cine to think of it, might be a bit much... but I think it kinda fits an OTT ER aesthetic. What do you guys think?
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24632 on: November 10, 2015, 07:00:56 pm »

EDIT: either my math is off, of M25 has to cover a crapton of space in a very limited time span. Yay spaceflight mechanics.
I think in part because it's more of a "we know where they should be, but they're probably not exactly there" type thing, rather than a "survey the entire area in detail" mission.

Oh yeah, but even then, it's gonna be a crapshoot (unless we get clues inside there). Hell, even then, consider that, if we encounter them while at top speed, it'll take more than 20 turns to slow down and reverse back there. I hope we can use those buoys I requested from pw as a way to extend our net, or at most we'll be exploring 6 'spaces' (seen from a cross section along the main line from start point to planet).
If there are large gravity wells inside, you might be able to pull a slingshot maneuver, and cut out a lot of that decel/accel turn around time.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24633 on: November 10, 2015, 07:04:26 pm »

I do hope my ideal for the force infuser in the guass rifle works...just some way to offer more force per shot.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #24634 on: November 10, 2015, 09:12:19 pm »

EDIT: either my math is off, of M25 has to cover a crapton of space in a very limited time span. Yay spaceflight mechanics.
I think in part because it's more of a "we know where they should be, but they're probably not exactly there" type thing, rather than a "survey the entire area in detail" mission.

Oh yeah, but even then, it's gonna be a crapshoot (unless we get clues inside there). Hell, even then, consider that, if we encounter them while at top speed, it'll take more than 20 turns to slow down and reverse back there. I hope we can use those buoys I requested from pw as a way to extend our net, or at most we'll be exploring 6 'spaces' (seen from a cross section along the main line from start point to planet).
If there are large gravity wells inside, you might be able to pull a slingshot maneuver, and cut out a lot of that decel/accel turn around time.

If they have a max speed, then wouldn't it make sense for them to decelerate more quickly than they accelerate due to friction or whatever?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24635 on: November 10, 2015, 09:13:13 pm »

If they have a max speed, then wouldn't it make sense for them to decelerate more quickly than they accelerate due to friction or whatever?
... Hello, this is physics, space does not have friction.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24636 on: November 10, 2015, 09:19:59 pm »

Incorrect. Space isn't actually completely empty. it's just super-thin.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24637 on: November 10, 2015, 09:27:25 pm »

Is it physically possible to kill tge lurker in the angles or even just give it the boot from our reality?

Would such outcomes be limited to use of the godzilla threshold?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24638 on: November 10, 2015, 10:03:43 pm »

Okay, but even so, friction is negligible.
Too few particles.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24639 on: November 10, 2015, 10:23:35 pm »

Too few particles.
only at low speeds. if you want to be approaching any significant fraction of C then micro-particles are a very big deal. we don't currently have the tech for that, but in the ER-verse, it's commonplace. top speed does have significant friction.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #24640 on: November 10, 2015, 10:33:36 pm »

Too few particles.
Your ship accelerates at 1 space per turn and has a max speed of 10 spaces per turn.
((The above should be "accelerates at 1 space per turn per turn", btw.))
Quote from: Newton's three laws
1. When viewed in an inertial reference frame, an object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The vector sum of the external forces F on an object is equal to the mass m of that object multiplied by the acceleration vector a of the object: F = ma.
3. When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.
Therefore, barring alien physics fuckery, if a ship is using its thrusters to accelerate but its velocity remains the same, then that must mean that there is another force acting upon said ship that is bringing the sum of the forces applied to it to zero. And that force would also have to increase at greater speeds to allow the ship to reach a terminal velocity. Now, that force might not actually be friction, it might be some sort of Lurker imposed speed limit that appears the moment they reach max speed, but the simplest explanation that does not involve magic is friction or another drag-like force that becomes more powerful the faster you go.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:35:07 pm by Parisbre56 »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24641 on: November 10, 2015, 10:34:42 pm »

Too few particles.
only at low speeds. if you want to be approaching any significant fraction of C then micro-particles are a very big deal. we don't currently have the tech for that, but in the ER-verse, it's commonplace. top speed does have significant friction.
So does relativity...
Sigtext

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #24642 on: November 10, 2015, 10:40:37 pm »

Too few particles.
That is a problem, isn't it? Our old ships used manipulators to protect themselves from such impacts. But the new ships are going to have to use either heavy armour, some sort of extreme Whipple shield, maybe a giant pocket dimension acting as a micrometeorite vacuum cleaner... Something to protect themselves while going to jump speed. Then again, manipulator-less ships already exist, so that problem might have been solved already.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24643 on: November 10, 2015, 10:52:47 pm »

So does relativity...
It has an impact, yes, but at 40% C, the micro-particles ripping through your hull like swiss cheese are far more of an issue than the still mild effects of relativity.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24644 on: November 11, 2015, 04:02:47 am »

Is it physically possible to kill tge lurker in the angles or even just give it the boot from our reality?

Would such outcomes be limited to use of the godzilla threshold?
To be honest, I believe we're well-past Godzilla treshold at this point. See: M23.
(Oh, of course, the M23 team decided against rampant callous genocide, but it was very well considered. Meaning they've passed the threshold, and so has, by extension, ER(verse) as a whole.)
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 1641 1642 [1643] 1644 1645 ... 2205