Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1640 1641 [1642] 1643 1644 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491107 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #24615 on: November 09, 2015, 01:39:39 pm »

The important question is if he can perform marriages on his vessel.  That said, if he can't, then Lars could do that.   I'm only slightly surprised he hasn't been called to perform that duty yet.

Clearly, he just needs to start marrying people at random until something sticks.

you can find your own snacks.
I'll put Culinary Delicacies Requisitions Officer Faith on the job.

EDIT: either my math is off, of M25 has to cover a crapton of space in a very limited time span. Yay spaceflight mechanics.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:50:44 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24616 on: November 09, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »

EDIT: either my math is off, of M25 has to cover a crapton of space in a very limited time span. Yay spaceflight mechanics.

Space is big. Like, really big.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24617 on: November 09, 2015, 03:10:36 pm »

No way! :O

Still, this is gonna be difficult. Unless we can get more info from Steve, or we find some sort of clue, we'll need a lot of luck to find you guys (unless you are on the mainline between jump point and us). And then we haven't explored or gathered data about anything else yet. 

Dunno how pw will do this without a lot of turns just being sitting still and flying. The time limit for a mission in turns makes sense, but unless he wants to fast-forward traveling until we encounter something (which seems at odds with the 'travel x spaces per turn' thing) it might take a while till the excitement starts coming.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #24618 on: November 09, 2015, 03:19:58 pm »

Hard, but not that hard.

First of all, you can easily eliminate the planet and most of the fringe, so that's one large part you don't need to explore. You can also eliminate everything outside the orbital plane if things have not shifted around too much in there.

Second, you don't actually need to find the others yourselves. Assuming they can hear you and are not in some parallel phase of reality, all you need is a trail of breadcrumbs or a signal leading them outside or to a comm/sensor array in the godspace that would allow them to contact you or let you know where you are. And those things can be launched and will keep going until they hit something, so they can cover much more than one block.

Third, you can leave a trail of breadcrumbs behind you that connect and provide comms between adjacent blocks, which would also be helpful if going +1 x instead translates to going +1 y or if your flight computer is fried.

Fourth, you can cover more blocks by going faster and letting  momentum do the rest. Just be ready to decelerate in case something bad pops up in your way.

Fifth, given the nature of the god, there might be landmarks inside based on your thoughts or ideas or perceptions that could more easily lead you to your target. You just have to explore a bit and understand what's going on in there.

Edit: You could even just give PW a flowchart of commands to execute while nothing happens.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:24:23 pm by Parisbre56 »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24619 on: November 09, 2015, 03:22:19 pm »

In my opinion, you should fire nukes at the thing. Just saying.
One wheel short of a wagon

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #24620 on: November 09, 2015, 07:57:30 pm »

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24621 on: November 09, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »

Yeah, space is big. On the other hand, the altered dimension's dimensions are an unknown. Space in there could be small, or yellow, or Friday, for all you know.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24622 on: November 09, 2015, 09:18:59 pm »

Yeah, space is big. On the other hand, the altered dimension's dimensions are an unknown. Space in there could be small, or yellow, or Friday, for all you know.
Or 42.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24623 on: November 10, 2015, 12:55:32 am »

The important question is if he can perform marriages on his vessel.  That said, if he can't, then Lars could do that.   I'm only slightly surprised he hasn't been called to perform that duty yet.

Clearly, he just needs to start marrying people at random until something sticks.
"By the Glory of Steve, I pronounce you two Wed!"
"...'us two?'"
"You and your gauss rifle, of course! As a truly united couple you shall better serve the Whims of the Gods!"
"...I was thinking of getting a better gun soon..."
"...infidelity is Sacred when in greater Service to the Gods."

you can find your own snacks.
I'll put Culinary Delicacies Requisitions Officer Faith on the job.
I searched the whole area, Sir, not a shortpant to be seen!

You can have all these icky skirts I found, though.

I think in part because it's more of a "we know where they should be, but they're probably not exactly there" type thing, rather than a "survey the entire area in detail" mission.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24624 on: November 10, 2015, 11:13:31 am »

I think in part because it's more of a "we know where they should be, but they're probably not exactly there" type thing, rather than a "survey the entire area in detail" mission.

Oh yeah, but even then, it's gonna be a crapshoot (unless we get clues inside there). Hell, even then, consider that, if we encounter them while at top speed, it'll take more than 20 turns to slow down and reverse back there. I hope we can use those buoys I requested from pw as a way to extend our net, or at most we'll be exploring 6 'spaces' (seen from a cross section along the main line from start point to planet).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 11:32:38 am by Radio Controlled »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24625 on: November 10, 2015, 11:53:39 am »

Tbh, the thing I don't get with m25 is why, when they can accelerate to a certain speed over a certain period of time, they can't just expel the same amount of fuel from the engines as they spent getting there in a few seconds. Why do they have to accelerate steadily?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24626 on: November 10, 2015, 11:57:52 am »

Ion thrusters, maybe? Steady acceleration/deceleration for extremely prolonged periods of time at the cost of next to no manoeuvrability, IIRC. Of course, I guess they have some 'conventional' manoeuvring thrusters, but those probably don't have that much of a total delta-V available.

@RC I appreciated that striked-through bit in ER talk, but please, if you want to put the blame on M21 team, it falls on Maurice's shoulders anyway as the mission leader. It's either all his fault, or no one's fault; preferably the latter. ;)
Suggested alternative phrasing: "How much blood is on the Lurker in the Angles' hands?"
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 12:02:58 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24627 on: November 10, 2015, 12:01:23 pm »

Erm... ok, I guess that makes sense.

*Goes off muttering about nukes and staying still to make things simpler.*

Actually, I think firing off missiles from the sword in a sorta 3D battle ships would have been simpler.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #24628 on: November 10, 2015, 12:02:23 pm »

*Goes off muttering about nukes and staying still to make things simpler.*

Actually, I think firing off missiles from the sword in a sorta 3D battle ships would have been simpler.
The "message in a bottle" approach, but with hundreds of exploding bottles.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #24629 on: November 10, 2015, 12:45:17 pm »

Tbh, the thing I don't get with m25 is why, when they can accelerate to a certain speed over a certain period of time, they can't just expel the same amount of fuel from the engines as they spent getting there in a few seconds. Why do they have to accelerate steadily?

Constant acceleration allows you to simulate gravity without amps.

It may not be the answer, but it is an answer
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 1640 1641 [1642] 1643 1644 ... 2205