Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304072 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #4110 on: April 01, 2014, 03:42:13 am »

I don't get why Russia would be eager to invade Finland. Was it really that much fun the last time?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: April 01, 2014, 04:31:36 am »

In other news, the view out my window is probably the nature's way of celebrating April 1st.

Either that, or the Russian Winter had smelled a possible invasion and decided to give us a few more months of coverage just in case we need 'er. :P
(seriously, it's a damn blizzard out there)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: April 01, 2014, 04:46:35 am »

I don't get why Russia would be eager to invade Finland. Was it really that much fun the last time?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: April 01, 2014, 05:14:52 am »

Cathartic as it would be for UR to see all russians die horribly and Russia itself fall apart, I honestly don't see it happening, the falling apart, I mean. There haven't been any  indication that russian regions want to do that, or that they have necessary political power.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4114 on: April 01, 2014, 05:19:50 am »

Fun (and inaccurate - isn't there a peninsula the author forgot?) as that is, I find this rather more entertaining.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
:P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:24:10 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: April 01, 2014, 05:22:54 am »

Sean: Hmmm, why do these countries want to join NATO? It can't be because they're afraid of Russia - you guys are such great neighbors, especially to countries who are trying to join. You know which one I mean.
If Russia is encircled, it fully deserves it. And if war breaks out, it won't have been NATO's fault.

Anyway, I was gonna make an April Fools joke about Germany reintroducing conscription with Merkel giving a Churchill-style speech... But naah.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: April 01, 2014, 05:24:00 am »

Weird how there's a huge NATO base right in the middle of Serbia.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: April 01, 2014, 05:35:23 am »

In other news, the view out my window is probably the nature's way of celebrating April 1st.

Either that, or the Russian Winter had smelled a possible invasion and decided to give us a few more months of coverage just in case we need 'er. :P
(seriously, it's a damn blizzard out there)
Moscow too. Fukken snow all over the city.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: April 01, 2014, 05:39:23 am »

Fun (and inaccurate - isn't there a peninsula the author forgot?) as that is, I find this rather more entertaining.
I love how Russians treat Crimea as Russian territory with almost no countries recognizing it. Who cares about that international laws?
That map is a joke. Finland will not double it's territory and Ukraine will not try to annex South-Western Russia no matter what will happen

As for Russia breaking apart. That will happen. Not in the way like on the map, but it will.  Any large country that gives zero rights to regions is doomed as soon as any large crisis will arrive.  USSR in 1980s looked like a monolith but... Russian empire is convulsing. In that convulsion it may even start a nuclear apocalypse but that will not change it's fate. 
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: April 01, 2014, 06:27:47 am »

I love how Russians treat Crimea as Russian territory with almost no countries recognizing it. Who cares about that international laws?
There's the de jure, and then there's the de facto. Crimea is now de facto part of Russia, and taking it away via any sort of legislative means is not going to happen. Easily, at the very least. For one, in order to legally return it to the Ukraine, you have to first legally admit it has changed ownership, which Ukrainian government isn't too keen on doing. As long as its legal status in Ukraine remains as "a part of Ukraine", it can't be given back to Ukraine. By legally - by its own constitution - admitting newly self-declared independent Crimea into itself, Russia has turned a legally sketchy situation with the unrest, referendum and independence, that seems to have been the playground for every major power around, into a legal quagmire that isn't likely to be resolved.

When countries wage legal war, it's not likely to end quickly. Sometimes not at all. Just as with big companies doing the same. The most likely outcome is, like with companies, a settlement - which between countries is called diplomacy, which is what they're now doing. Exactly what the costs will be, and what will happen, I've no idea - only time will tell.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4121 on: April 01, 2014, 06:44:11 am »

Yeah, we're going to reach a compromise: Russia can keep Crimea, and in exchange Putin accept to take Crimea.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: April 01, 2014, 06:51:31 am »

For one, in order to legally return it to the Ukraine, you have to first legally admit it has changed ownership, which Ukrainian government isn't too keen on doing.
So you mean, that if I'll decide to form an armed squad and capture a factory and force workers to say that they want to work on me then I'll be a de facto owner and to have a chance to take it back, the real owned must admit that I am a legal owner of the building and engage in negotiations with me?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: April 01, 2014, 07:00:45 am »

For one, in order to legally return it to the Ukraine, you have to first legally admit it has changed ownership, which Ukrainian government isn't too keen on doing.
So you mean, that if I'll decide to form an armed squad and capture a factory and force workers to say that they want to work on me then I'll be a de facto owner and to have a chance to take it back, the real owned must admit that I am a legal owner of the building and engage in negotiations with me?
In principle? Yes. Except you'd have to force the existing management to resign their positions or transfer them to you (not just make the workers swear loyalty to you at gunpoint), and of course the owner can just storm the building with his own armed squad and kick you out. That's called a "hostile takeover", by the way, except in this case it's literally hostile, and I've seen a few news reports of it happening in Ukraine.

With Russia... eh, you can try taking Crimea back by armed forces, but I think it's been generally agreed here that that's not going to end well for anyone, least of all Crimea. And Ukraine.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:02:59 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: April 01, 2014, 07:15:19 am »

Heh...  You are mixing owning and controlling here

De facto Crimea is controlled by Russia, nothing more and nothing less. It is not a part of Russia.

It is not a part of Russia for business, because if any company to have any business activity in Crimea it should ask the government in Kyiv for license and pay taxes to Ukrainian budget or it will be sued in international courts
It is not a part of Russia for any visitors because anyone entering Crimea breaks Ukrainian border control laws and has a full right to arrest and jail that person as soon as possible.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 286