Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304070 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #4095 on: March 31, 2014, 11:24:52 pm »

Holy shit I can't believe this is happening. All of Britain's nuclear devices are located in Scotland. What the fuck do we do?

Cameron is going to make an emergency speech in the next hour. All those people...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:35:46 pm by Owlbread »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4096 on: March 31, 2014, 11:32:17 pm »

I'm out on the eastern shore of maryland- I'm watching the Navy steam past.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:38:36 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: April 01, 2014, 12:04:42 am »

The idea of a Ukraine mounting an offensive campaign is absurd.
That's all there is to it.
My jimmies are starting to get rustled whenever you guys claim 'he's just got his ducks in a row in case Ukraine INVADES!'
FFS

With Putin's sudden conciliatory stance, this whole thing is really looking like a farce for shoring up Putin's popular support in Russia and securing the Sevastopol base.
The troops on the border are for intimidation while Russia tries to dictate Ukraine's constitution, ultimately, hopefully- to the russian gov, leading to a breakup into western & eastern states. One guess why that's being pursued.

--Mm, and apparently the west is going for it. Ukraine's to be unofficially divvied up eh?  >:(
Well, he does have his duckies in a row in the worst case scenario, Ukrainian Armed Forces have stupid angry compulsive people in leadership positions.
And yes to the rest.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: April 01, 2014, 12:16:39 am »

Talkin' to this bloke on Facebook, and I'm bothered by his saying "Only the Crimeans can say whether the vote was legitimate or not!"

I mean, yeah, I can see where he's coming from, but... A bad vote is a bad vote no matter where you stand, and it's pretty obvious that's a bad vote. >_> Certainly not one you should base such a seismic shift as leaving one country and joining another on.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: April 01, 2014, 12:52:06 am »

I agree that this whole invasion is a farce for the purposes of gathering domestic support.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4100 on: April 01, 2014, 01:03:24 am »

snip
Well, he does have his duckies in a row in the worst case scenario, Ukrainian Armed Forces have stupid angry compulsive people in leadership positions.
And yes to the rest.
That's not my impression at all. What with their neutrality in both the riots (to the point of getting fired over it, in fact) & the crimean invasion, they don't seem very brutish at all. Quite the contrary, 'less you know something I don't.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: April 01, 2014, 01:07:48 am »

I agree that this whole invasion is a farce for the purposes of gathering domestic support, with a side order of regaining control of the Black Sea naval base, strengthening national economy and infrastructure by forcing a stop to reliance on imports and foreign services, and honestly helping the russian population of Crimea - even if mostly just to achieve the abovementioned.
FTFY :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: April 01, 2014, 01:21:00 am »

I agree that this whole invasion is a farce for the purposes of gathering domestic support, with a side order of regaining control of the Black Sea naval base, strengthening national economy and infrastructure by forcing a stop to reliance on imports and foreign services, and honestly helping the russian population of Crimea - even if mostly just to achieve the abovementioned.
Extremely debatable.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #4103 on: April 01, 2014, 01:22:39 am »

Wait wait wait, you're claiming the sanctions were 'part of the plan'?
Badges of honor

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: April 01, 2014, 01:42:59 am »

Any given, specific sanctions? Not likely. But sanctions in general? Moves like this are not made haphazardly. There would have to have been some planning involved, and two things would have been obvious - the West wouldn't just do nothing, and the West wouldn't resort to military force as long as things went to plan. That leaves witty back-and-forth diplomatic banter and economic sanctions, and the two work well together.

The general gist of any sanctions would also be fairly apparent to proficient economists - Europe can't just up and close off its own metaphorical oxygen supply, so the primary method that would have been effective - refusing to buy Russian hydrocarbons - is plainly not feasible in any sort of short term. Any other means of effecting Russia economically would have to be refusing it more minor trades and services - which can in turn be used to drive for independence from such trades and services, because the capacity was always there and there was simply no need.

I'm not saying everything was planned out in advance - but if the original plan was to use the one-time opportunity that unrest in Crimea provided, and stop there without doing anything else, the repercussions from doing so would have been at least partially predictable. There's only so many ways NATO, the EU, and the US can react to such an event, and there are analysts far better than me out there to see them.

Speaking of sanctions, we might as well start a new Skippy's List, except with the list of things Barack Obama is now prohibited from doing in various cities in Russia. Like using public transportation, entering some stores and restaurants, etc. I haven't personally seen any around here, and many of the ones the news reported on could likely be typical works of Internet artisans, but a few definitely seem to be true, and I personally like that kind of humorous response.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: April 01, 2014, 02:30:35 am »

I think that the strongest economy in the world is North Korean. It was strengthened so many times

As for Crimea and helping local population... You ruined already fragile local economy of the region and even investing shitloads of money, I mean Sochi levels, will not fix it any time soon
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: April 01, 2014, 02:45:44 am »

I think that the strongest economy in the world is North Korean. It was strengthened so many times

As for Crimea and helping local population... You ruined already fragile local economy of the region and even investing shitloads of money, I mean Sochi levels, will not fix it any time soon
As many Koreans will undoubtedly be able to tell you, grinding is a viable way to self-improvement. :P

And we'll have to wait and see, I guess. There are a number of measures reported as being taken, and exactly what net effect it will have I have no frappin' clue. It's certainly being intended as a tourist destination, but I'm no economist to say if you're right about the "fragile economy" and the "ruining".

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: April 01, 2014, 02:56:46 am »

Former Putin advisor says Putin wants Finland and the Baltics, recommends show of force (original swedish article). Seems like said former advisor, now a fellow at the Cato Institute, has a few bones to pick with his old boss.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: April 01, 2014, 03:33:22 am »

'That's the handshake of an uncompromising man'. What a high-quality article.

I have to admit, I am beginning to lean towards NATO membership for Finland, though it's never been a popular idea here. I like to believe Glorious Nordic Defense Cooperation would keep us safe already, though. Glooorious.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:42:51 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 286