Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304582 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3435 on: March 21, 2014, 11:39:43 am »

Same way the Russian soldiers being called rebels and self-defense units is equally ridiculous in your mind, right?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3436 on: March 21, 2014, 11:42:01 am »

Mostly because they were never there.
Exactly, which is what the faulty intelligence was, that Iraq had them.
Well, less faulty intelligence, and more willful ignorance. Based on the data they had, the US knew that they didn't have solid evidence for the existence of Weapons of Mass destruction.

Fun fact, according to some 2005 polls, 30% of Fox News watchers believes that WMD's were found in Iraq.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: March 21, 2014, 11:43:10 am »

I think gogis meant that 'faulty intelligence' is unbelievable because it implies an honest mistake, rather than people knowingly abusing it.

Except that Bush kind of hid just how little credibility the informant actually had.

Why you keep calling it's "faulty" if it could be as well a "faulty on a purpose". It's very different entities.

I suspect we are using the term 'faulty' in two different ways here.

We are going offtopic with the Iraq stuff though.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: March 21, 2014, 11:43:18 am »

That the US has acted like a moronic bully moving at the self-destructive whims of a group of selfish ogilarchs and downright evil politicians provides no reason whatsoever for Russia to do the same, unless it's controlled by people who value their pride more than their prosperity.

But hey, maybe it is!

Every single time the US government has done something based on the argument that the Soviets were worse, the American nation and it's people where the ones who suffered from the stupidity of such a decision. Anyone who honestly propounds such a stupid argument is someone who is begging to become a victim of the crooks and tyrants who will be more than happy to abuse it to their own profit.

Oh, this "Tu quoque" discussion continues.
Well, imagine that dialogue

- You know man, I killed some men. It's bad thing to do, but hey I am strong, so I am not going to face a consequences
- You know, I did kill some men too, man, sorry...
- THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
- You know, you did this too..
- Sorry bro, but thats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque, so shoo, you bad and you have victim complex
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: March 21, 2014, 11:43:41 am »

Same way the Russian soldiers being called rebels and self-defense units is equally ridiculous in your mind, right?
Exactly, as he said earlier:

And "faulty intelligence" is as believable as noninsignia soliers being not russians.

Remember we're working through significant language barriers here folks, so triple-check your words =P
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: March 21, 2014, 11:45:47 am »

http://www.gazprom.ru/about/production/projects/pipelines/ykv/

It's 2017. Not like a far away goal by any margin.

That railway you mentioned is 60km long and for transportation of crude oil.

English link: http://www.gazprom.com/about/production/projects/pipelines/ykv/

2017 is when the red section is done.  The dotted yellow section hasn't even been finished being planned yet.  Without the yellow section, the red section can't get the natural gas that was going to europe to instead go to China.

Yes there will be Russian natural gas going to China, but that is natural gas that was going to go to China anyway regardless of this incident.  Any rerouting of gas from Europe to China is still a lot more then three years away.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: March 21, 2014, 11:48:21 am »

Russia is nothing but a very large gas station with nuclear missiles
Somehow I think you underestimate Russia. Very well, the more you underestimate us, the bigger the surprise will be.
Fixed that quote for you... and with that done, is it an underestimation? Basically every discussion in this thread involving Russian power projection so far, from either side, has hinged on its gas production or nuclear capability, and... basically nothing else. Hell, the whole reason being given for the EU not just saying FU to Russia and cutting everything off has been the gas dependency. Just about the only reason I've been seeing for hesitance in military intervention has been the worry Putin's willing to drop the nuke. Insofar as discussion here has been concerned, it's very much sounded like summarizing Russia as a large gas station with nukes is... fairly accurate.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: March 21, 2014, 11:48:53 am »

And "faulty intelligence" is as believable as noninsignia soliers being not russians.

Remember we're working through significant language barriers here folks, so triple-check your words =P

I'm just curious if he's finally going to admit the soldiers occupying the land and committing hostilities there are in fact Russian military. He's more interested in being snide to people and not responding or clarifying what he means, though, so I'm not going to bother.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:50:28 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3443 on: March 21, 2014, 11:49:29 am »

There's a Russian language-based joke that they did finally find nuclear weapons in Iraq... a medieval cannon that shoots cannonballs. ("ядерное оружие" -> "пушка стреляющая ядрами") :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: March 21, 2014, 11:49:37 am »

Quote from: gogis
This can be actually pretty legit due to russian proverb
В чужом глазу соринку видим, в своем бревно не замечаем
The Bible - The book of Russian proverbs :D

If you wander it is - "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye"

So my argument just got stronger in eyes of Christians? Isnt that a good thing? You need to check proverb about рыльце в пушку as well. Maybe it's from Torah

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: March 21, 2014, 11:52:22 am »

I'm just curious if he's finally going to admit the soldiers occupying the land and committing hostilities there are in fact Russian military. He's more interested in being snide to people and not responding or clarifying what he means, though, so I'm not going to bother.

X is as believable as Y

Does not imply "he's finally going to admit". Either my english suck so much, or you just refuse to carefully read what I write.
Notice that you was perpetually most demeaning poster towards russians/russia in this thread.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 11:55:01 am by gogis »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: March 21, 2014, 11:57:21 am »

Russia is nothing but a very large gas station with nuclear missiles
Somehow I think you underestimate Russia. Very well, the more you underestimate us, the bigger the surprise will be.
Fixed that quote for you... and with that done, is it an underestimation? Basically every discussion in this thread involving Russian power projection so far, from either side, has hinged on its gas production or nuclear capability, and... basically nothing else. Hell, the whole reason being given for the EU not just saying FU to Russia and cutting everything off has been the gas dependency. Just about the only reason I've been seeing for hesitance in military intervention has been the worry Putin's willing to drop the nuke. Insofar as discussion here has been concerned, it's very much sounded like summarizing Russia as a large gas station with nukes is... fairly accurate.

Yeah, if he is willing to break a treaty the way he did, how do we know he would keep a promise to not use nukes if things came to blows? I'm sure Putin knows that it would be suicide to launch nukes and there are no winners in a nuclear war, the entire human race suffers. Even if there is a 99.99% chance he won't launch nukes, it's still a non-zero chance

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: March 21, 2014, 12:00:42 pm »

So my argument just got stronger in eyes of Christians? Isnt that a good thing?
Considering that all that you do the last few posts is looking for sawdust in USA's eyes I think that argument is very good
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: March 21, 2014, 12:04:10 pm »

I think the better simile is that we're only looking for sawdust in someone else's eyes so we could jam a plank into theirs, and call us equal.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: March 21, 2014, 12:08:15 pm »

Either my english suck so much, or you just refuse to carefully read what I write.
Notice that you was perpetually most demeaning poster towards russians/russia in this thread.

I think it's pretty demeaning you won't even recognize your soldiers [which, if your previous posts are to believed, you should revere as fellow soldiers] are in harm's way for your Kremlin.

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 286