Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304346 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3165 on: March 19, 2014, 07:03:31 pm »

Anyway, it's not because the UK and USA have done it earlier that it's behavior that should be tolerated, or worse, promoted.
My thoughts exactly.
That is an argumentation I've seen a lot. The US does X, so Russia can do X too. Even if the first part is right, that is not how laws are supposed to work.

It depends on how the people see these troops. If they see them like oppressors, they will be oppressors. In Crimea, different thing happened. They just didn't see them in that way. I think.
That is not the point. Even if we assume that a) Crimea wants to join Russia and b) Crimea wants Russian soldiers as protection, that doesn't mean the Russian intervention was right. Putin could have used diplomatic pressure to achieve these things. He could have trippled the gas prices. He could have let elections happen in Ukraine and support a constitutional change that allows for Crimean independence. He could have involved international organisations. There were a lot of options and he chose the one that he knows everyone will understand as a massive disruption of international stability.

If, however, that economic and social stability vanishes as a result of an economic collapse induced by Western sanctions, there is no reason for Russians to support Putin or United Russia. If the Russians came anywhere close to where they were in the 1990s the whole thing would come down like a house of cards.
If Putin's government falls, no one can guarantee that pro-Western liberals will take charge of the country. In fact, it may result in more radical politicians being voted into office or seizing power. None of Russian opposition leaders enjoy any significant popular support outside of Moscow.
I remember, when Putin first became president, a lot of "experts" were arguing that Russia needed "a strong hand" for a time, as a transition into democracy. Yeltsin obviously was not strong, and people at the time were worried about the likes of Zhirinovsky. Our chancellor praised Putin as a great democrat.
Now I'm sure if Putin would fall and Russia would experience a bad economic downturn, there would be far worse and more radical people coming into power. I don't think Russia would fall apart, it might become more nationalistic instead. But Putin is looking much more authoritarian now than back then, and it's not getting better.

Apologies if I'm terribly wrong (I don't live in Russia so what do I know?) but it seems to me like the main reason people in Russia vote for United Russia and are happy with them being in government despite rampant corruption and disregard for human rights is that they have ensured that Russia is economically and socially stable.
This was also important in regards to the Crimea referendum. The average income in Russia is way higher than in Ukraine. Compared to Ukraine, Russia has developed much better economically since the dissolution of the USSR. Pensions will be much higher (and apparently there are a lot of pensioners living in Crimea). State employees will get triple or more as much in wages.
I haven't got the numbers, but that might have been a factor too.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3166 on: March 20, 2014, 03:36:28 am »

Anyway, it's not because the UK and USA have done it earlier that it's behavior that should be tolerated, or worse, promoted.
My thoughts exactly.
That is an argumentation I've seen a lot. The US does X, so Russia can do X too. Even if the first part is right, that is not how laws are supposed to work.

At this point, the Russian leadership thinks that Russian national interests in Eastern Europe can be protected only by doing X that has been done by the US all the time, even if it contravenes the American interests in the region.
The main result of this crisis is that the US suddenly found out that Russia has national interests and the desire to achieve or protect them, and that Russia doesn't seem to be content with the role of a subservient nation bending to every will of their American masters.
No wonder that Samantha Power, the US representative in the United Nations flew into a fury when Russian representative in the UN Vitaly Churkin refused to obey the United States and vetoed the anti-Russian resolution of the UNSC on Ukraine on the 15th of March. Angry remarks attributed to her about Russia being a defeated nation probably meant that Russia wasn't supposed to rise up against the US like that after the end of the Cold War and the fall of the USSR.

Spoiler: Power vs. Churkin (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:44:33 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3167 on: March 20, 2014, 03:40:34 am »

Russia lost it's historical chance for Greatness in 21th century back then in 2000 When Putin got power

Russia got a shitload of money from raising oil prices. Russia got Bush who damaged American economy and crippled it's foreign relations by two wars. Russia got remains of Soviet science that wasn't bad at all. Russia had friendly governments in countries around (-Baltic states but even it was reparable)

They could invest in infrastructure, truly link Asian and European parts of Russia and get much large scale trading with China\Japan\South Korea  , they could invest in modernization and produce high tech stuff. They could grant autonomy or even full independence to it's "Muslim" regions losing very few resources and mostly underdeveloped regions. They could calm down anti-Russian notions in post Soviet-countries by simply banning Soviet ideology and symbolics and apologize for the wrongdoings of the past. They could act as a stabilizing force in Post-Soviet region and be one of the forces opposing North Korea to create a reputation of a good guy

Instead they wasted money on Olympics, wars, Bribing North Caucasus elites and buying English football clubs corruption. They managed to badly  spoil relations with half of Post-Soviet countries.  They even managed to turn away many pro-Russian Arabs by Russian stance over Lybia and Syria. Few more steps like that and  Russia may relplace USA in it's role of "the number two enemy of Islam" (number one is Israel, forever).
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3168 on: March 20, 2014, 03:45:20 am »

The main result of this crisis is that the US suddenly found out that Russia has national interests and the desire to achieve or protect them, and that Russia doesn't seem to be content with the role of a subservient nation bending to every will of their American masters.

Keep telling yourself that
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3169 on: March 20, 2014, 03:52:45 am »

It depends on how the people see these troops. If they see them like oppressors, they will be oppressors. In Crimea, different thing happened. They just didn't see them in that way. I think.
That is not the point. Even if we assume that a) Crimea wants to join Russia and b) Crimea wants Russian soldiers as protection, that doesn't mean the Russian intervention was right. Putin could have used diplomatic pressure to achieve these things. He could have trippled the gas prices. He could have let elections happen in Ukraine and support a constitutional change that allows for Crimean independence. He could have involved international organisations. There were a lot of options and he chose the one that he knows everyone will understand as a massive disruption of international stability.
Maybe. you'e right. You see, it just costs a shitload of money each ear to maintain Russian interests in Crimea. So, that was one of th points to enforce it's annexation. And another one - Khruschev was giving Crimea to Ukraine while it was one and the same country - nobody could imagine that Ukraine will be another country. When union has fallen apart, that was act was secured because Yeltsin didn't give a fuck. Generelly when the union fallen apart nobody gave a fuck about what people felt about that.

UR, you mister Russian politician #1, please stop. You see, banning a significant part of our history is stupid, making to soviet period the same thing that Germany did to Nazi period - why should we do that?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3170 on: March 20, 2014, 03:59:49 am »

UR, you mister Russian politician #1, please stop. You see, banning a significant part of our history is stupid, making to soviet period the same thing that Germany did to Nazi period - why should we do that?
A lot of people in the West, especially in the countries which haven't saw much fighting on its territory during WW2 think that Soviet Union was much worse than Nazi Germany.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3171 on: March 20, 2014, 04:03:41 am »

Yeah, the Soviet Nazis only killed a few ten millions. Nothing bad or anything.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3172 on: March 20, 2014, 04:05:06 am »

I love the surname of the Russian Ambassador. Churkin. From "Churka". Literally - a piece of wood. In Russian was also used as "stupid uneducated person". In modern Russian used mostly as a derogatory name for  North Caucasians and  Central Asians

Comrade P.
Russians have a full right to view your own history in any way you think is right. But your neighbors have a right to make conclusions on your plans based on your vision of history and who you name to be your heroes
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3173 on: March 20, 2014, 04:08:44 am »

I'm going to repeat a question I've asked earlier - did Russians kill any of your ancestors (or oppress them)? Such a high level of anti-Russian sentiment coming out of all of your posts here is baffling. I'm genuinely confused.
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3174 on: March 20, 2014, 04:10:46 am »

You are mixing anti-Russian and ant-Soviet(Putin) here

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3175 on: March 20, 2014, 04:15:40 am »

A lot of people in the West, especially in the countries which haven't saw much fighting on its territory during WW2 think that Soviet Union was much worse than Nazi Germany.

But Ukraine had plenty of bloodiest fights on it's own territory. Oh, and it had Bandera, The National Hero.

I see that as a proof of Guardian's point. Yes, Soviet union had political cleansings. Even anti-Jewish ones. It was discredited right after Stalin's death. And we regret we sincerely regret about that part of our history, just as Germans do about Nazis. But that doesn't equals two ideologies.

UR, well, yes. I'll just stop right here. Although I do not like your point and personally disapprove it.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3176 on: March 20, 2014, 04:38:11 am »

I thought we tried to have a rational and logical conversation in this thread, but it seems like certain individuals attempt to sabotage that by posting provocative information without any citation. Did Soviet Union killed your cat or what?  ;)
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3177 on: March 20, 2014, 04:47:38 am »

Should just get to naming this the Glorious Liberation of Crimea topic already if we're so dead set on parroting state media and feeding into victim complexes

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3178 on: March 20, 2014, 04:55:10 am »

Should just get to naming this the Glorious Liberation of Crimea topic already if we're so dead set on parroting state media and feeding into victim complexes
Don't tempt me :D

(But the very first name of the topic - 3rd Soviet-Ukrainian war was the best one)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3179 on: March 20, 2014, 04:59:42 am »

I thought we tried to have a rational and logical conversation in this thread, but it seems like certain individuals attempt to sabotage that by posting provocative information without any citation. Did Soviet Union killed your cat or what?  ;)

HA! So it isn't just me who thinks in that way.

By the way, fun fact: РФ (Российская Федерация - Russian Federation) is turns to HA when the keyboard layout switches to english on my laptop.
HAHAHAHAHA - now laughing is patriotic scanding :).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:01:24 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 286