Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304348 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3135 on: March 19, 2014, 03:32:07 pm »

What about the eastern and far eastern portions? Like Siberia and further east? I don't know how well held together that region and east is as far as connection to Russian culture.

Cechenya and Dagestan will definetly sieze the moment and go independent.

It would be just the beginning of the Balkanization of Russia and losing large portions of territory.

Oh yeah, I just realized while typing, there is the issue of any nukes in the breakaway territories.

There are many Republics further East that should generally belong to their respective ethnic minorities e.g. Buryatia, the Altai Republic and so on, but there are similar numbers of Russians in those Republics as there are in Crimea now so I would imagine they would stay close to Russia. However they would probably seek greater autonomy in general over there because seemingly a lot of Far Eastern Russians are unhappy with the over-centralisation in the country.

To put it in perspective, I remember when I asked a Russian friend of mine where he was from he said "Central Russia" so I said "Wow, do you mean like around Novosibirsk?" and he said "No, near Moscow".

Tuva is one of the only places outside of the Caucasus that I think could conceivably secede. They are basically independent right now in that they have a tiny Russian minority there (comparatively), they're predominantly Buddhist, they used to have a lot of trappings of an independent state back in the '90s (they were de facto independent like Tatarstan) and they're so far from Russia and so close to Mongolia there's really no reason to be a part of Russia.

Maybe the US can sign a non-proliferation treaty with them under terms that we promise to never, ever be hostile in return for their giving up nukes?  :)

I'm sure everyone will work it out. Kazakhstan briefly held a hilarious quantity of nuclear weapons when they became independent. It's a miracle Islamic extremists were so stupid and single minded in their attempts to rule Afghanistan/take over Tajikistan and the like that they never tried to take any of it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:34:15 pm by Owlbread »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: March 19, 2014, 03:33:39 pm »

Oh yeah, I just realized while typing, there is the issue of any nukes in the breakaway territories.

Maybe the US can sign a non-proliferation treaty with them under terms that we promise to never, ever be hostile in return for their giving up nukes?  :)

Never ever be hostile to THEM you mean.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: March 19, 2014, 03:40:18 pm »

Indeed, it is entirely possible that Crimeans really wants to join Russia. If so, why not. The fact is that we simply don't know, thanks to Russian intervention.

Do you mean that they were military oppressed? I disagree with that point because it sounds pretty strange. In Moscow, representatives of Crimea claimed that they asked for military assistance in frames of international treaty between Ukraine and Russia - Russia was allowed to have troops in Sevastopol, 25000 tops, and that number was not exceeded during the whole so called intervention. Source - Putin's recent speech. I sincerely believe that our president does know shiznit about our military treaties.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: March 19, 2014, 03:42:22 pm »

shiznit
First time I hear that word.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: March 19, 2014, 03:44:55 pm »

Comrade P. So, if American troops from Guantanamo will capture Havana it will be totally legit?

Don't you see some difference between having a right to have a base and some troops inside and invading using that base?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: March 19, 2014, 03:46:02 pm »

Yeah, Russia got a right to troops in their base, not anywhere in Crimea. Also the referendum was a joke. Surely even you should recognize this. So we don't have proof that a majority of Crimeans currently wants to join Russia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: March 19, 2014, 03:46:42 pm »

I know this is completely hypothetical because Russia has nukes, but would Russia ever be in danger of being booted from the UN security council? Maybe the mere threat of it would make them sit, roll, and play dead, while growling at the same time.

Comrade P. So, if American troops from Guantanamo will capture Havana it will be totally legit?

Don't you see some difference between having a right to have a base and some troops inside and invading using that base?

I like this example of yours.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: March 19, 2014, 03:48:15 pm »

I don't think there even is a mechanism for booting permanent members out.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: March 19, 2014, 03:50:32 pm »

I don't think there even is a mechanism for booting permanent members out.

Too bad they didn't make a contingency plan.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: March 19, 2014, 03:51:08 pm »

Spoiler: very symbolic (click to show/hide)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: March 19, 2014, 03:51:34 pm »

shiznit
First time I hear that word.
Gizoogle, bro. At least it was intended to be. Spontaneous willing to add a bit of dat shiznit.

It depends on how the people see these troops. If they see them like oppressors, they will be oppressors. In Crimea, different thing happened. They just didn't see them in that way. I think.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: March 19, 2014, 03:52:03 pm »

Poor Russian. He didn't even get drinking water.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: March 19, 2014, 03:54:13 pm »

Gizoogle, bro. At least it was intended to be. Spontaneous willing to add a bit of dat shiznit.

Scottish independence is ballin over uncommitted, say SNP
Da Guardian - 4 minutes ago
There was tha rap up in February by George Osborne, tha chancellor, vetoin any sterlin pact between tha UK n' a independent Scotland.

Oh god, this website.

Scotland's Referendum 2014
www.scotreferendum.com/

If Scotland votes Fuck dat shit, will there be another referendum on independence at a later date, biatch? ... What will a independent Scotland's policy be on immigration?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: March 19, 2014, 03:54:31 pm »

Spoiler: very symbolic (click to show/hide)

Poor Mr. Russian ambassador looks frustrated.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: March 19, 2014, 03:54:59 pm »

Poor Russian. He didn't even get drinking water.

He has two extra ones from Nigeria and Korea :)
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 286