Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304677 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2880 on: March 17, 2014, 04:18:20 pm »

As for languages, the recent events demonstrated that having Yiddish speaking people  in a country is dangerous, so the stare must work hard to reduce their number.
Since you love Nazi Germany parallels so much, here's another: with "Russian" above replaced by "Yiddish", this sentence would not look out of place in an SS propaganda broshure distributed before the Kristallnacht.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: March 17, 2014, 04:19:59 pm »

Ah, the great Jewish invasion of Hamburg. I remember that. Comparison fail, the Russian government is the one who attacked Ukraine and now certain states should take a second look at open-border and integration policies, since, remember, the casus belli was 'There's ethnic Russians here'. There was no Jewish aggression on the German people leading up to the propaganda of the reich.

Do you think it's unreasonable that places like.. Afghanistan, Iraq, and such are weary of US/Russian integration and full cooperation? I sure don't.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:26:59 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: March 17, 2014, 04:27:29 pm »

I say Crimea should be independent. They should be a very neutral state like Bosnia-Herzegovina where, on paper, all three ethnic groups are equal. The state should be trilingual with special multi-ethnic representation in government.
Nobody should try to emulate Bosnia & Herzegovina, it's a political clusterfuck that has produced one of the world's most bloated and corrupt governments.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: March 17, 2014, 04:28:47 pm »

Causus Belli, heh, do I sense an Europa Universalis player here?

But yeah, Russia invaded in what seemed to be a snap decision (though maybe it was planned, since he pre-emptively did a massive war drill right next to the border) on the pretext of 'Ethnic Russians are in danger, we must protect them' when there was no evidence of violence against ethnic Russians specifically aside from the pro-government and anti-government protestors.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: March 17, 2014, 04:28:56 pm »

Ah, the great Jewish invasion of Hamburg. I remember that. Comparison fail, the Russian government is the one who attacked Ukraine and now certain states should take a second look at open-border and integration policies, since, remember, the casus belli was 'There's ethnic Russians here'. There was no Jewish aggression on the German people leading up to the propaganda of the reich.

Do you think it's unreasonable that places like.. Afghanistan, Iraq, and such are weary of US/Russian integration and full cooperation? I sure don't.
I personally don't consider invasion as reasonable grounds for ethnic purging. If a country A with a dominant nationality X invades another country B, it is still morally wrong if country B responds by killing/deporting all the X people in its borders.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: March 17, 2014, 04:32:54 pm »

If only Russia hadn't just invaded and annexed a country illegally under the pretext of ethnic Russians being more worthy of being represented than their countrymen, states with weary governments might be more willing to accept open cooperation and integration [something Russia has not, in fact, embraced]. I like how you worry about the effects of outright hostility and agitation towards others after the fact. Can't play the victim now, noone believes it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:34:29 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: March 17, 2014, 04:34:28 pm »

Why does it seem to me like the Russian government is 'NO U'-ing everything?

'You're being imperialist'
'NO U'

'You're infringing on the right to self-determination of the Crimeans'
'NO U'

'Man, you goofed. You're getting hit with sanctions'
'NO U'
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: March 17, 2014, 04:36:44 pm »

-snip-
The bill has nothing to do with the official bilingualism in some Western democracies where the citizen has priority while the state (state officials) must provide services in the customer’s language of preference. The Soviet type of “bilingualism,” on the contrary, prioritizes the state, i.e. the bureaucracy that chooses the preferable language (inevitably Russian) and imposes it upon citizens.
Meanwhile, in Finland, you'd be damn lucky to find state services in Swedish despite Swedish being the second state language, mandated by law. You really have to live in the right places to get that quality or cry to high heaven.

I still remember reading with horror through Finnish court papers last Summer.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:14 pm »

As for languages, the recent events demonstrated that having Yiddish speaking people  in a country is dangerous, so the stare must work hard to reduce their number.
Since you love Nazi Germany parallels so much, here's another: with "Russian" above replaced by "Yiddish", this sentence would not look out of place in an SS propaganda broshure distributed before the Kristallnacht.
You see
a) Russia claims that Russian speaking people are persecuted in Ukraine. If we do start to persecute them Russian actions will not change. So, why not? Warning : it's sarcasm
b) Racism and.... khm... how to name it... Languagephobia are different worlds. And yes, I am afraid of Russian language. It is dangerous
c) If you want historical parallels look at postwar Czechoslovakia and ask yourself why German language died  in the region where it was the main one. In the first half of 20th century many urban Czechs used German language as their main language.
But I do hope that we'll not go revenge route like Czechs did
d) I find it fun that you, Russians, understand my "work hard" as a genocide against Russian speaking people. No, I mean soft but determined reukrainization
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »

If only Russia hadn't just invaded and annexed a country illegally under the pretext of ethnic Russians being more worthy of being represented than their countrymen, states with weary governments might be more willing to accept open cooperation and integration [something Russia has not, in fact, embraced]. I like how you worry about the effects of outright hostility and agitation towards others after the fact. Can't play the victim now, noone believes it.

I don't really know if I wrote something agitating or not. Did I? Or do you mean the stance of russian propaganda?

EDIT: With all due respect for you and your position, Ranger, my comment was intended as a reaction to you using the Russia/Nazi Germany comparison so many times in this thread. I don't mean anything political in it.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:42:18 pm by Knit tie »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: March 17, 2014, 04:39:44 pm »

I personally don't consider invasion as reasonable grounds for ethnic purging. If a country A with a dominant nationality X invades another country B, it is still morally wrong if country B responds by killing/deporting all the X people in its borders.
Wouldn't have to go that far, I imagine. Just don't allow russian as an official language and refuse further russian immigration and let the problem sort itself out.

Though it's not quite as clear cut as you present, KT. If it were like that, then yeah, but when Country A is using the existence of Nationality X in Country B as the reason for invasion... well, it's perhaps not moral to want (and perhaps encourage, so long as it doesn't come to violence) members of Nationality X to gtfo, but at that point it might not be immoral, either. Not when having the ethnicity in your border is a literal existential threat for your nation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:45:22 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: March 17, 2014, 04:41:49 pm »

Seriously, why not just support government documents in both languages? I get that Ukraine wants to stay as far away as possible from Russian culture, but if you use both, everybody is happy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: March 17, 2014, 04:42:55 pm »

That is literally what they are doing, right now. The proposal to repeal the law that did failed, and in fact mustered very little support from what I've heard.

It's a non-event used as a diversionary argument, nothing more and nothing less.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: March 17, 2014, 04:43:17 pm »

Seriously, why not just support government documents in both languages? I get that Ukraine wants to stay as far away as possible from Russian culture, but if you use both, everybody is happy.

Because that would mean outright surrender for Ukraine, especially now that it's been invaded.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 04:48:24 pm by Knit tie »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: March 17, 2014, 04:44:10 pm »

If anything might give another attempt at the repeal legs, yeah, this would be it. The people who most benefited from official russian language stuff are now gone.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 286