Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304846 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2715 on: March 16, 2014, 02:41:37 pm »

You know, UR, it is strange to hear your country being compared with nazi Germany by a man who has a revolutionary-nationalist government.

You say that Crimea is underdeveloped. Maybe. But it still has important naval bases. Pplus, they had referendum and such. Any news about russian troops in Donetzk? Harkiv? Lugansk?

And you continue plotting russian external political course by yoursef. Sounds like you know better what Russia will do than Russia herself.

Baulgir, I noticed your post. I have read and considrered it, though I do те agree with all of your points. But the general idea is clear. I just would not like to debate about the soviet/US thematics at all.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: March 16, 2014, 02:47:35 pm »

I'd like to debate Russia's illegal occupation and coming genocide against non-puppet Crimeans.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: March 16, 2014, 02:48:59 pm »

Come on, "coming genocide"? Russia is full of non-Russians, it's not like they couldn't accommodate Tatars.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: March 16, 2014, 02:49:47 pm »

Do you have any concrete examples of persecution of minorities by the new Ukrainian government?

Comparisons of Putin with Hitler are cropping up simply because Crimea has a multitude of similarities to Sudetenland.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: March 16, 2014, 02:53:24 pm »

With all due respect, UR is the one on the frontlines. If some nation went and annexed a chunk of yours, you'd be right to be afraid they'd go further. Even if it turns out to be wrong.
Closest analogue I can get is (again) nazi germany, and France. When France surrendered, germany completely annexed Alsace and Lorraine, and turned the northern half of France into a german dominion. South was puppeted, but "free". Inhabitants of the southern half were worried that germany wouldn't stop there, and they were right.
So there is precedent and while the situation is very different, there is enough similarities for worries about Russia going full-annexation to be valid.

That doesn't mean Russia will go balls-out and annex all of Ukraine, but it still may.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: March 16, 2014, 02:54:24 pm »

Somebody should count how many times the word "genocide" has been said in this thread.
._.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: March 16, 2014, 02:56:13 pm »

Come on, "coming genocide"? Russia is full of non-Russians, it's not like they couldn't accommodate Tatars.
Fun fact: a lot of Tatars live in Russia, mostly in Tatarstan.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: March 16, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »

You say that Crimea is underdeveloped. Maybe. But it still has important naval bases.
You see... that base is important ONLY if you plan a large war in the region later. Even if new Ukrainian government would decide to kick out the Russian Navy tommorow (impossible) Russia could easily rebase most of the fleet to Novorossiysk, and larger vessels to ports in other seas. Later  Novorossiysk can be easily upgraded and it will cost way less then the Olympics and will provide workplaces

Plus, they had referendum and such. Any news about russian troops in Donetzk? Harkiv? Lugansk?
Nope, they are just concentrated near the borders and we have various strange people including Russian citizens among them doing weird stuff, like capturing administrative building to put Russian flag on it

Let's not forget how Russians accommodated Chechnya.

Fun fact: a lot of Tatars live in Russia, mostly in Tatarstan.
Another fun fact, that Tatars is different nation. If you call a Crimean Tatar a Tatar without Crimean part he will get offended

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: March 16, 2014, 03:14:13 pm »

Plus, they had referendum and such. Any news about russian troops in Donetzk? Harkiv? Lugansk?
Nope, they are just concentrated near the borders and we have various strange people including Russian citizens among them doing weird stuff, like capturing administrative building to put Russian flag on it

As far as I know, right now they are not so willing to secede as Crimeans, more like federalize. Like, let us maintain ourselves rather than oligarchs sent from Kiev.
Russian flags... Well, they chose it as an opposing symbol, I guess. With all the subtext it bears.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: March 16, 2014, 03:16:16 pm »

Like, let us maintain ourselves rather than oligarchs sent from Kiev.

Rather have proper Kremlinized oligarchs anyways.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: March 16, 2014, 03:24:24 pm »

As far as I know, right now they are not so willing to secede as Crimeans, more like federalize.
So... let me think... One country annexes part of the territory and then supports forces inside the country to increase autonomy of various regions to swallow that weakened, (semi)disintegrated state a bit latter

Hello Germany vs Czechoslovakia 1938-1939!
OK, Hitler shared with other countries and allowed "independent" Slovakia. but other than that...

If Russia is keen to copypaste ideas from the past. I suggest to blow up the Cruiser "Moskva" and blame Ukrainians. That worked in 1898
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: March 16, 2014, 03:36:37 pm »

Hey the Maine was actually pure accident, the media just blame it on the Spanish. A better way to do it would be kill a dozen or so Russian civilians in Crimea and dress up some Ukrainians in military uniforms and gun them down as a accuse.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: March 16, 2014, 03:41:59 pm »

Hey the Maine was actually pure accident, the media just blame it on the Spanish. A better way to do it would be kill a dozen or so Russian civilians in Crimea and dress up some Ukrainians in military uniforms and gun them down as a accuse.
UR was alluding to the relatively popular theory that the US blew up their own ship in order to start a war.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: March 16, 2014, 03:46:58 pm »

Yep, It is most likely that  Maine blew up accidentally, but a little conspiracy theory can't hurt, right?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: March 16, 2014, 03:52:41 pm »

A better example would be shelling a Russian village and blaming it on the Ukraineans, ala Mainila and the Winter War.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 286