Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304874 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2460 on: March 11, 2014, 05:53:52 pm »

@knit tie
No biggie sir, just a pet peeve.
I think he talked about it before, but I'll let him speak for himself.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: March 11, 2014, 05:56:48 pm »

"The only thing evil needs to succeed, is for the good guys to do nothing"
-not me
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: March 11, 2014, 05:59:44 pm »

-not me

The thing is, there is no good guys. There is only evil and lesser evil.  :(
Make love not war

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2463 on: March 11, 2014, 06:03:25 pm »

-not me

Woo, cynicism!
The situation changes if people get involved. Evil becomes less-so over time & with effort.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: March 11, 2014, 06:04:15 pm »

Speaking about gogis' claims about prosperous Russia

Here are some photos from Russian regional hospitals. Can't say that regional Ukrainian hospitals are better but we aren't pretending that we are a prosperous superpower

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: March 11, 2014, 06:10:19 pm »

-not me

Woo, cynicism!
The situation changes if people get involved. Evil becomes less-so over time & with effort.
Cynicism is just cowardice.

Otherwise, +1.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: March 11, 2014, 06:17:59 pm »

-not me

Woo, cynicism!
Nop. It does not get less, its always there, and will stay there. Hack half of people here think west is "good" guys, and russ is "bad" guys. I just see who ever is in power will always be a bad guy. USA is doing it for the last few decades, now russia is starting to do it again. The worst thing is people approve of thing russia is doing, or what USA/NATO is doing. Its just sad.
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: March 11, 2014, 06:18:39 pm »

Sheb, don't underestimate Merkel. Do you know Yes Minister? The answer to "Which side is Merkel on?" is "The winning side." Die eiserne Kanzlerin, the only German politician in a hundred years who understands Realpolitik like the original. She's being pushed by the German NIMBY faux-pacifism; you shouldn't think she's weak because of that. She'll show him the instruments.

Great, now I'm picturing Merkel as Dr. Vahlen.
It was a reference to Life of Galilei... And to the Inquisition. But mostly to that drama.

GrizzlyAdams: Knowing someone's origin is vital to contextualizing their opinion. I can easily dismiss the stuff that burningpet says, but when the Russians in this thread say the same thing I pay attention - not necessarily because I believe them, but because their opinion reflects (to a degree) the Russian popular opinion. If UR says Putin is a horrible dictator, I pay attention - but should GI ever utter those words, I'll be expecting a civil war. And if XXSockXX talks about German domestic policies, he's probably providing more valuable info than an American (with no ties to Germany) doing the same.
But okay, pet peeve, I get it. But the info's still interesting~

NINJAEDIT: If there are no good guys, we need to become them.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: March 11, 2014, 06:19:25 pm »

-not me

Woo, cynicism!
Cynicism is just cowardice.

Otherwise, +1.
Cynicism or not, that is how the things are, and always where.
Make love not war

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: March 11, 2014, 06:19:39 pm »

Hmm... I am getting fuck out of this thread. While some guys are nice, others are vehement beyond point of my tolerance. I don't even remember last time being called a shit so openly be it direct or indirect.

p.s
Knit tie, there are thorough answers on your questions just few pages back, read the whole damn thing and don't PM me anymore, I have no intention to chat with you even if we share same origin.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:56 pm »

We seem to slowly be driving all Russian guys from this thread... Could we somehow transport Crimea to Bay12?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: March 11, 2014, 06:22:07 pm »

Not enough volcanoes.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2472 on: March 11, 2014, 06:31:39 pm »

@miljan
Eh, I disagree. We've been making progress for 80 thousand years. Not much else to say- I doubt either of us will change from optimism to pessimism or vice-versa due to this thread.

@helgoland
In terms of context, yes it does provide insight. But that's separate from the actual content of their messages. Ascribing more weight to what Socks says about germany may be a good practical idea, but it is still technically a falsehood.
And directly asking someone where they're from in a geopolitical debate /is/ rude & implies their responses will be weighed against their location. (No offense)

We seem to slowly be driving all Russian guys from this thread... Could we somehow transport Crimea to Bay12?
VICTORY!
 :-\
Badges of honor

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: March 11, 2014, 06:37:46 pm »

You reminded me one joke I heard recently

There are three options what to do when you are invaded:
1. Fight
2. Surrender
3. Troll (First used by Ukrainian army in March 2014)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: March 11, 2014, 06:38:40 pm »

Morally you can't really fault Crimea for doing exactly what the current Ukrainian government did.
I think most of the fault is found specifically in Crimea not being allowed to do anything.

-not me
In power? Maybe not. But there ARE good guys, and when there aren't we need to become them, because even if we can't make the people in power be "good", we can shape a society that requires good behaviour of them to become successful.

Things can get better over time, and they have! In so many ways. But it's not a guarantee, and it will last only as long as people are fighting for it.
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 286