Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305088 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2250 on: March 10, 2014, 07:44:56 am »

How realistically possible would it be for Ukraine to move the date of the Referendum back(by negotiating with Russia) or interfere with it to keep it stalled until a proper Ukrainian Government has been elected?
I think we're past that point, pretty sure Putin will make sure the referendum goes through. Elections in Ukraine would be difficult now, with Crimea in Russian control and unrest in some predominantly Russian-speaking cities like Odessa and Donetsk.

I'm afraid at this point we're negotiating about what happens with the rest of Ukraine. The Russian Foreign Ministry has released a statement today accusing the Right Sector of being responsible for the unrest in Eastern Ukraine and some other stuff, and the government in Kiev of tolerating it (link in Russian, got that from here). Remember, Putin has a mandate to intervene in Ukraine if Russians are in danger, which is pretty much what they are saying right now.

Russia still does not want to participate in the proposed contact group and still refuses to talk to the Ukrainian government. I guess the plan is to push the referendum through, then the EU will issue sanctions which ideally should force Russia to talk with Kiev and come to some kind of understanding. I guess they will want to keep Crimea after the referendum though, that seems difficult to prevent now.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 08:07:18 am by XXSockXX »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: March 10, 2014, 09:08:42 am »

Yeah, I feel like absorbing Crimea is all but a foregone conclusion now unless Ukraine wants to open fire on Russia. Which would only confirm Russia's position that Crimeans are in danger.

Really though, Putin has spent basically all his international political capital to achieve this. The word of Russia is going to mean absolutely nothing internationally, and they're going to get sanctioned in pretty much every quarter....well, I hope it was worth it. Maybe in 10 years Russia can again start to earn their way back into the EU's and the West's good graces. But for now, no one is going to trust a damn thing they have to say on anything.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:54:31 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:35 am »

Yeah, I feel like absorbing Crimea is all but a foregone conclusion now unless Ukraine wants to open fire on Russia. Which would only confirm Russia's position that Crimean's are in danger.

Really though, Putin has spent basically all his international political capital to achieve this. The word of Russia is going to mean absolutely nothing internationally, and they're going to get sanctioned in pretty much every quarter....well, I hope it was worth it. Maybe in 10 years Russia can again start to earn their way back into the EU's and the West's good graces. But for now, no one is going to trust a damn thing they have to say on anything.
I think the idea is that Russia does not need the West's good graces any longer.
._.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: March 10, 2014, 09:54:04 am »

Yeah, I feel like absorbing Crimea is all but a foregone conclusion now unless Ukraine wants to open fire on Russia. Which would only confirm Russia's position that Crimean's are in danger.

I think the idea is that Russia does not need the West's good graces any longer.

Except everyone knows that nationalistic bullshit. Just like it would be if America said they didn't need the rest of the world.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: March 10, 2014, 10:06:25 am »

That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: March 10, 2014, 10:22:49 am »

I'm sure that will be very comforting to them when they are in recession next year.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: March 10, 2014, 10:46:18 am »

Pretty much this. Also his allies will be worried too, if Belarus or Kazakhstan one day should have a regime change that Moscow doesn't like, they get an idea what might be happening.

are those seriously chetniks
They claim to be. Nobody knows how many exactly are in Crimea, maybe less than a dozen. Their government is not happy about that.

I'm sure that will be very comforting to them when they are in recession next year.
The EU has suspended talks about a new gas pipeline now. There are also talks about getting more independent from Russian gas, which will not go fast, but should hurt the Russian economy pretty bad. For now the next wave of sanctions (visa restrictions /account freezing) is meant to hit the oligarchs, who should have some influence with Putin. According to our Minister of Defense 15% of Russian GDP depends on Europe alone, while it's only 1% the other way round, so the sanctions should have some effect.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: March 10, 2014, 10:48:39 am »

Sanctions strike me as unlikely considering how many Western countries are dependent on Russian energy imports. Certainly would hurt the Russians quite a lot, but it'd hurt the Europeans just as much, if not more.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:40 am »

Sanctions strike me as unlikely considering how many Western countries are dependent on Russian energy imports. Certainly would hurt the Russians quite a lot, but it'd hurt the Europeans just as much, if not more.
Financial sanctions seem to be pretty much on the way if Putin does not want to negotiate.
Energy related sanctions are going to be problematic in the short term, but there are talks about that too. Poland's Prime Minister has criticised German dependence on Russian gas specifically, though I doubt that can be changed quickly with our ongoing energy reforms. At least in the long term Europe might go looking for different sources. There are talks in the US to jump in, but that does not seem to be easy either.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: March 10, 2014, 10:59:45 am »

Too bad the only viable alternative source of power is nuclear. And guess who's the leader on that front.
._.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: March 10, 2014, 11:01:10 am »

Too bad the only viable alternative source of power is nuclear. And guess who's the leader on that front.
I know. And the whole world is gonna follow our example, right? ::)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: March 10, 2014, 11:01:23 am »

are those seriously chetniks
Reportedly they claim to be Chetniks. They said that they went to Crimea to help Russians in gratitude for their help during the war in Yugoslavia (Russian volunteers fought on the Serbian side in Croatia and Bosnia). I'm not sure if they are planning to help the Russians by doing what they have always done the best, though.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:06:53 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: March 10, 2014, 11:49:07 am »

I dunno, Europe's pretty strong at nuclear stuff. Most of Russia's reactors are old Soviet remnants anyway. The reactors in Germany can and will be reactivated in short time if Russia cuts of the gas, so...

Edit: Anyway, the real threat for Russia are financial sanctions. Europe accounts for more than half the foreign investement in Russia.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 11:50:58 am by 10ebbor10 »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: March 10, 2014, 11:49:12 am »

Eradicating gyros?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58:13 am »

I dunno, Europe's pretty strong at nuclear stuff. Most of Russia's reactors are old Soviet remnants anyway. The reactors in Germany can and will be reactivated in short time if Russia cuts of the gas, so...

Edit: Anyway, the real threat for Russia are financial sanctions. Europe accounts for more than half the foreign investement in Russia.
Going back on nuclear plants would be an incredibly unpopular decision. It'll be like saying "ok we didn't really knew what we were doing before we take everything back lol". I think the anti-nuclear forces are currently strong enough to overthrow quite a lot of currently ruling parties.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 286