Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305398 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #930 on: February 28, 2014, 04:41:03 am »

Russian military ship off shore is to be expected when the main Russian naval base in the region is in Crimea.
Not when it is blockading Ukrainian part of the base making it impossible for Ukrainian vessels to leave the port
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: February 28, 2014, 05:38:13 am »

In this case, would this be a bad thing if it happened in an orderly and non shoot-y manner?
Magma is overrated.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 28, 2014, 05:41:59 am »

Assuming the locals agreed to being annexed and got a fair deal out of it? No, Russia is objectively evil always in every possible situation.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: February 28, 2014, 06:05:02 am »

Well, it might suck for the local Tatars/Ukrainians as Ukrainian would likely stop being an official language and they'd loose autonomy. But the chance that it'll happen in a non-shooty manner seems weak, given that the current government don't want to let Crimea go.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: February 28, 2014, 07:26:54 am »

Apparently Russian helicopters crossed into Ukrainian territory.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 28, 2014, 07:35:09 am »

This could get much bloodier than maidan was, very quickly.
Edit.
Attempts to take over airports aparrently peacefully thwarted by Ukrainian security forces,  Russian helicopters land in Crimea, and unidentified armed men have infiltrated Crimea, the interior minister says that it's an invasion.

Source, whatever I can find on Google ATM, your results may vary.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:07:01 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: February 28, 2014, 07:39:39 am »

Russia suffers when you boycott something as novel as vodka, that isn't even going into an export that is actually important to its economy. Either in these days of international supply chains they play nice, or Putin is more nuts than I ever gave him credit for.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: February 28, 2014, 08:34:38 am »

Press-conference of Yanukovitch is hilarious.

My favorite part is " Israel is terrified by Yarosh, Tyahnybok and Parubiy" :D
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: February 28, 2014, 09:47:46 am »

Well that escalated quickly  :o

...Time to start jogging in preparation to being drafted i guess?(Not that the US has really used the draft in ages, but still)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: February 28, 2014, 09:49:31 am »

Has China said anything about Crimea yet?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: February 28, 2014, 10:09:12 am »

Has China said anything about Crimea yet?
I think China will applaud should Russia annex Crimea

Decade or two later they will annex half of Russia because Chinese majority wants so

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: February 28, 2014, 10:33:55 am »

Russia says the unidentified men are pro-russian self-defense militias, Ukraine says they're Russians in neutral uniforms. Apparently they have no signs whatsoever on their cars and uniforms:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The airports seem back in Ukrainian control, but some access streets are still blocked. Combined with the reported fleet and helicopter activities I'd say the Russians in neutral uniform scenario seems more likely to me.
Don't necessarily see what the goal is though, I guess support for Crimean secession. I still think they are narrowly going to avoid any real escalation.
EDIT: I see this has already been posted in the Eurothread.

The press conference with Yanuk must have been hilarious indeed. He still considers himself President. He denies having money in other countries (you know, the accounts Switzerland just froze), and claims all the state's money went to paying pensions, not to him.
He hasn't met Putin yet, which I guess shows how important Putin considers him to be.

All i saw was one guy making this comments along a bizzare uniforms discussion. hardly a serious discussion.

so, svoboda aren't neo-nazis?
No, there was more. Actually some discussion about Svoboda started in the Eurothread quite a while ago, but there was some in this thread too.  Basically while Svoboda are nationalists (and maybe more nationalistic than Western Europe is normally comfortable with), they are not Neo-Nazis.
The guys that look like Neo-Nazis are for the most part from the Right Sector, another nationalist organisation. It's my understanding that this organisation is strongly nationalistic with (by European standards) far-right opinions, but isn't really Neo-Nazi as a whole either. Some elements among them could probably be called that, but they don't account for the majority of the protesters.
There was also something about a rabbi calling the Jewish community in Kiev to leave the country, but that turned out to be Russian propaganda. German journalists talking with rabbis in Kiev found them very supportive of the revolution and not much more concerned than anybody would be with a revolution going on.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:37:19 am by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: February 28, 2014, 10:50:08 am »

He hasn't met Putin yet, which I guess shows how important Putin considers him to be.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 286