Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305915 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uprising in Ukraine
« Reply #405 on: February 19, 2014, 04:40:40 pm »

Opposition leaders have negotiated a truce with Yanukovych.
Opposition are either idiots or traitors. It is a great idea to give enemy more time to regroup and rest, again. We had enough truces
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 19, 2014, 04:43:52 pm »

Well, it's not if they can do something else. At this point, they're pretty much loosing to the police. (Though it's a phyric victory for them.)

Protestors attacking police to drive them back from somewhere seems unlikely, so agreeing not to get attacked for a while seems nice.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 19, 2014, 04:51:36 pm »

There are more people on Maidan today then it was yesterday. New buildings around Maidan captured to replace the burned down one, while all that horde of police is damn tired and demoralized by deaths in their ranks and there are job to do for them in other regions.. They are loosing in regions, badly loosing. But now, our "leaders" want to stop that advance

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 19, 2014, 04:52:54 pm »

It's not really an advance is it. It's the enemy loosing troops by storming your barricades, and well, he can just decide when to stop doing so. Having a mutual treaty just allows the protestors to rest as well.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 19, 2014, 04:56:49 pm »

Yup, from what I understand Maidan is at least partially surrounded and they are running out of burning material for the barricades/smoke screens. Actually it could be seen as a minor victory that Yanukovych feels pressured to call the attack off.
Anything else would have guaranteed further escalation, which is not in the interest of either side. Finding some solution through negotiations is still by far the best possible outcome.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 19, 2014, 04:57:29 pm »

...Of course Yanuk didn't go through with the operation.

Given the choice between saving his bank accounts from freezing and saving his country from nazis, he chose the bank accounts. Which time was this one? Third?

At this point, he's as guilty as the opp-leaders. So, the Internals & police will just keep standing there, as they were ordered to; getting shot at by the "unidentified snipers" (one of the fatalities was, reportedly, killed by a 5.56 round), until the nazis loot enogh guns to just kill all of them.

But Yanuk will still have his money, so it's all good for him. I wouldn't wish upon anyone to have such an impotent leader.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 19, 2014, 04:59:57 pm »

Can we leave Godwin out of this thread please?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 19, 2014, 05:04:54 pm »

Can we leave Godwin out of this thread please?

Yeah, I haven't gotten the impression that all that many of the protestors are neo-nazis, so labeling all of them as such seems rather harsh.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 19, 2014, 05:08:50 pm »

What's the exact content of the truce? Will it be respected by protesters?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 19, 2014, 05:16:26 pm »

All I've heard is Reuters citing the presidential website and a journalist citing Yatsenik to confirm it.
From that the truce does only seem to concern this night, possibly longer as there will be negotiations tomorrow. The protesters would do good to respect it, but police remains present at Maidan, so a single provocation could do much damage.

BBC has a link to the statement.

Actually that seems to only say it's a truce and negotiations will be held to end the bloodshed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:28:00 pm by XXSockXX »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 19, 2014, 05:22:07 pm »

It's not really an advance is it. It's the enemy loosing troops by storming your barricades, and well, he can just decide when to stop doing so.
In regions it's rather different.

Having a mutual treaty just allows the protestors to rest as well.
Well that treaty is empty words.  Yanukovitch proved many times that all that stuff like "treaties" "promises" "ceasefires" "truces" mean nothing for him. So any truce doesn't limit his actions in any way. But it does limit our options. Having any negotiations with him is a waste of time.  I think it can't hurt  that much... but would be better if they negotiated with military officers to switch on our side before every capable of doing so is removed from position
I don't believe in negotiations with Yanukovitch because I don't believe that he will accept the key demand - his resignation

Yup, from what I understand Maidan is at least partially surrounded and they are running out of burning material for the barricades/smoke screens.
Outdated info, that was during the last night. During this days tons of new burning material was brought in today by common Ukrainians and buses from Western Ukraine arrived bringing new fighters and supplies(that may, or may not include assault rifles)

Spoiler: 2Valikdu (click to show/hide)
Sorry guys, that is much better to be told in Russian. could use PM, but he is not the only who knows Russian here.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:23:39 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 19, 2014, 05:39:34 pm »

Guys, I'll go and to try to sleep. It's 42 stressful hours without sleeping for me. Hard to think straight, hard to keep emotions under control, hard to ignore Russians who are subtly saying that they are sad that Yanukovitch haven't used tanks against my nation, yet. Finally it is hard to write anything readable :)

Let's hope that Valikdu's dreams of rivers of blood of Ukrainians (Nazies under his terminology) will not become reality this night. See you later and thank you for caring

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 19, 2014, 05:44:41 pm »

Well, I hope this turns out well for you and your friends and family.

Also I hope we can keep the namecalling in this thread to a minimum. So no more Nazi talk and such. Google Translator seems to think you called him a "blue filet" in return, which I'm pretty sure is not an accurate translation.  ;)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 19, 2014, 05:46:26 pm »

I though it was more along the line of "You're a big sissy that should go back and serve food to her husband". But hey, Google translation.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 19, 2014, 05:57:35 pm »

Слушай, Валя, иди к своему мужу и продолжай кормить его вкусным голубым филе, а про героев которые убирают мусор из своего города не тебе, юной деве в платьице глубоко синего цвета, рассуждать
My translation:
Listen, Valya, go back to your husband and continue serving him with his tasty blue fillet (?), it's not up to you, a young maiden in a deep blue dress, to discourse about the heroes that are taking the trash out of their city.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 286