Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The Abbey of Sands - Community Fort  (Read 10953 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Abbey of Sands - Community Fort
« on: January 22, 2014, 11:44:53 am »

In the year 178 the Veiled Realm decreed that a new shrine of man should be established. Thus was the Fellowship of Suns dispatched to the furthest reaches of the world to build a new temple. Settling in the cold deserts of the south they named their labour the Abbey of Sands.

Hello and welcome to my community game.  :)

This is a human based game with fortress defence thrown in to give me some things to kill. My intention is to construct my first proper mega-project: A multi-story above ground cathedral.

The fort is in a desert so I can take advantage of the wide open spaces they provide.

I'll be dorfing people as humans upon request and will ask for the occasional bit of advice on how to proceed with things.

The humans available for naming There are plenty available, but I cannot be bothered posting them all up here now that I've gotten migrants, just ask, give a name and preferred profession and I'll see what I can do.(I would prefer people have a surname and a first name where possible as I will be trying to track family ties by assigning surnames.):

Asa Godananig Asa Kindabossy (Claimed by Timeless Bob)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Erod Beruiddim Ermod Paladin (claimed by darkpaladin109)

Adil Raconapsong brokegamer (Claimed by brokegamer) Dead, killed by goblins

Hibor EnilebeVayus Grim (Claimed by me)

Uci Abpaumci Komodo Dragon(Taken by Monitor Lisard)

Kon Wobathad Cryolite Granite (claimed by Worldmaster27) Dead, knocked off a cliff by a Draltha

Lomam Berugom Meme Crystalstar (claimed by Meme)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 03:27:20 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
Re: The Abbey of Sands - Community Fort
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:57:47 pm »

I would like to be dorfed as Komodo Dragon, the badass metalsmith who likes moghopper vodka, big lizards for their rough scales and chubby unicorns for their cute appearance.  :)
ML's forum games and other good stuff

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:28:34 pm »

I would like to be dorfed as Komodo Dragon, the badass metalsmith who likes moghopper vodka, big lizards for their rough scales and chubby unicorns for their cute appearance.  :)

I think that's supposed to be Moghopper, Vodka. Vodka is in the game, but I'm pretty sure Moghopper-Vodka isn't. Though that does sound fun.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:38:52 pm »

I think that's supposed to be Moghopper, Vodka. Vodka is in the game, but I'm pretty sure Moghopper-Vodka isn't. Though that does sound fun.

Anyway, I'm sure vodka made of fish woun't taste any better then fish juise.  :) That would be one nauseating brew.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 01:41:19 pm by Monitor Lisard »

This artwork relates to the killing of the troll Ozyydif Kuilat by the cheese Eritoy Awexog in the early spring of 71

brokegamer

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:39:49 pm »

I would like that mason to be my namesake if you don't mind, I too have a luscious head of burnt umber hair and his personality sounds like a perfect match.
I do let's plays on them there 'tubes.

Chances are if I'm making a post, I'm drunk.

Meme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:09:52 pm »

Could I be Lomam Berugom, name Meme Crystalstar if possible.

If she survives later into the life of the fort, make her military and give her a morningstar.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:11:02 pm »

Can you dorf me as Kon? Name: Cryolite Granite

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:27:02 pm »

Just two humans left, the expedition leader/carpenter and a miner.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:54:26 pm »

A dusty tome sits abandoned in a corner of the library. It is a book of history, a tale of the past. It details the life and times of Vayus Grim and the early years of the foundation of the Abbey of Sands.

Dear journal, today is an important day, a glorious day. The king has decided to have a great monument erected in honour of our nation and I am one of the people who has been chosen to do it! Sure I'm not in charge, Miss Asa is leading us, but I've got an important role! I'll be manning the furnaces, smelting ores and refining coal for the smiths to fashion into idols and statues and weapons.

The King gave Miss Asa a lot of money to purchase supplies with, we have so much stone, wood and ore, I've never seen so much in all my years in the capitol. I don't know how the draft horses will pull it all. I shall have to speak with her about gathering the materials for my craft. Why we'll need lignite and tetrahedrite and...

...Several pages are missing...

...The others and I were sitting around the campfire getting to know each other, I must say we're a rather odd lot for building a cathedral.

Dragon is a blacksmith who makes armour and weapons. I don't know what we'll be needing with weapons out in the desert, but I trust the Kings choices in sending him.

Crystalstar is a farmer of some sort. Never did learn much about farming. She's brought a bunch of dogs and cats and chickens and pigs. Says they're to supplement our crops and help keep us safe.

Granite, one of our miners has been a bit distant, but she seems to be quite sensible.

Gamer, the architect who's going to examine the land we're building on seems a bit rash and impulsive, and a touch gloomy as well journal.

...The following page has been worn away...

We're here, we're here! Oh it's such a beautiful place, snow covered sand stretching out before us with dunes rising nearby and a great hill not far from us. I think I saw ice in the wagon wheel furrows a short way back, there must be a river beneath the snow. I can't wait to see this place filled with a great bustling of people; traders, craftsmen, priests and artists. This will be an important place one day, and I'll be a part of it.

Arrival:

1st Granite
We've been scouting out the land for the past few days, and it appears that there's a tunnel of some kind on top of the hill. Miss Asa says not to go in, it could be dangerous. She's got Gamer making blocks out of the granite we brought, apparently she wants him to get me a furnace built as soon as possible so we can ward off the chill of the snow with the heat. Meme has started shoveling snow aside to make room for some fields.

I'm a bit nervous journal, we saw several really large animals trudging through the snow, one looked like a colossal scorpion. I don't want to meet that thing while out for a stroll.

The locals:

12th Slate
Things have been pretty uneventful journal, we've started work on a hall to shelter in, and I've been hard at work smelting tetrahedrite and refining lignite, Dragon's been using some of the silver from the ore to make goblets for when traders come, but the only real event of note that happened is the desert thawed and I saw that I was right, there was a river under the snow. It's a bit of a walk away but it's not too far to the north.

Sping Thaw:

1st Hematite
Things are so boring here sometimes journal, but today something interesting happened. Dragon was wandering around and decided to check out that cave, Miss Asa was furious with him when she found out he went in alone, but she was more interested in what he found in there.

It was a body, some sort of large hairless thing, like a rat crossed with a dog. I think I may have nightmares tonight. It was rotting and riddled with maggots and worms.

2nd Hematite
Meme followed one of our cats into the cave, apparently it was squishing the maggots left behind from the body and she was trying to stop it from running off when she bumped into something big and soft in the dark. She came running out to get us and we all went in to check, by the light of some torches we were able to work out that it was the body of a giant worm thing. Something had pulped one end of it, it must have been the head because it's brains were leaking out. We decided to haul it out of there in case the body attracted whatever else lives down there.

5th Hematite
Another giant worm has been spotted! It's on the surface near the cave. It seems to be enjoying the sunshine, though I always thought that worms liked the dark.

Worm:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:00:17 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Monitor Lisard

• Bay Watcher
  • You're a big lizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 03:10:36 am »

Komodo Dragon's opinion on Asa and her overseership:

"That bitch won't let me check those caves! What does she even know about living in the wilds?! I've spent months of wrestling cave crocs in a fortress far north from here! What should we do then? Wait for a large-ass monster to come up from the caves and kick our asses?"

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 04:54:49 am »

Please install me into Asa as "Asa Kindabossy" (I'd say "dorf", but these are presumably humans, so...).  Asa has her reasons for not exploring the caves: She hasn't talked about it, but her great aunt, a onetime ranger, used to tell the story of a one eyed hag that lived in a cave out north of town.  She'd welcome any visitors that came calling with sweet pudding and would chat with you amiably enough, always insisting you had more of her pudding.  Bowl after bowl would be waiting just inside the mouth of her cave and she'd become very upset if you denied her requests for more pudding.  She lived there with her mute husband for as long as anybody could remember.  One day, so the story goes, her great aunt's heart was filled with curiosity and she snuck into the cave in the dead of night when everybody should be sleeping.  What she found there were piles of children's clothes and the hag was far in the back of the cave stirring a huge pot of her pudding, singing a weird toon to herself, in a sort of trance.  Then, from the shadows off to one side came her mute husband gripping a sack with something struggling inside it.  Up went the sack and out came two babies with their little mouths and eyes sewn shut, their poor silent faces purple with the strain of not being able to cry out at the shock of the boiling pot.  Her great aunt used to pause for a minute and shudder at the memory, before going on.  Without needing any more proof, she unslung her bow and had three arrows in the air just like that <snap>, but they passed right through the hag and her husband, who both turned to her with a grin.  "Come over and have some pudding, dearie", called the hag, and her mute husbands eyes glowed with a pale green light, like gas-lights in the swamps.  Instead, so her aunt said, she ran back to the village as fast as her legs could carry her, told her family that they were moving far away and brought us all to the capitol, where there were no terrible hags offering sweet pudding to unsuspecting passersby.

Ever since she'd become an adult, Asa's avoided even thinking about entering dark caves and lived quite happily toiling under the sun amongst others of her kind, helping them with her gift for organization.  This dark cave, with its maggoty corpse and dead giant worm merely proves to her further that such places are not meant for humankind.  If at all possible, she will lobby for having the entrance blocked with walls of stone and carved stone seals to ward away evil. (millstones)  Temples shouldn't be built with open hell-holes in their back yard.  Sorta defeats the purpose.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:57:48 am by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 07:09:57 am »

Dorf me as Erod Beruiddim. Rename her to Emrod Paladin.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 08:48:45 am »

Komodo Dragon's opinion on Asa and her overseership:

"That bitch won't let me check those caves! What does she even know about living in the wilds?! I've spent months of wrestling cave crocs in a fortress far north from here! What should we do then? Wait for a large-ass monster to come up from the caves and kick our asses?"

In 1971, Steve Irwin began hunting great beasts in the Out Back.
In 2006, Steve Irwin was struck down by the giant manta ray Impalestomach the Irony of Waves.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 06:37:57 pm »

6th Hematite
Well journal, this is a most disturbing thing, we were clearing a bunch more bodies of those hairless things from the cave when we stumbled across a passage into the deeper earth below. We're going to explore it more in a few days.

8th Hematite
There's a massive pit down in those caves, and a lot of tunnels snaking around. We saw some webs the size of a man down there! Asa says we need to seal this place up in case something comes crawling out of it. Gamer is making a hatch to put onto the lower passage.

Sealed passage:

2nd Malachite
A group of migrants arrived to help us build the shrine today. A glassmaker, a farmer and two fishermen. The latter two have been told that we don't have much call for fishing here but that we need someone to fend off the giant animals. Dragon and I are working on making some bronze armour and weapons for them.

19th Galena
A caravan arrived today, the migrant farmer who arrived recently traded our silver goblets for some bags and barrels of supplies, mostly drink and flour.

Caravan:

2nd Limestone
Dragon has nearly finished the equipment for our soldiers, when he's finished they'll both have a full suit of bronze armour and a halberd.

4th Limestone
I heard the miners talking, apparently they think the hill the caves are in could be turned into a watchtower of some sort if they mine away the excess rock and sand.

The rock hill:

11th Limestone
A kobold thief was skulking around earlier, but it got run down and killed by our dogs. One of the poor things was hurt when it stabbed her.

21st Limestone
More migrants here to help us, a Blacksmith, a Metalcrafter, a mason, a plant processir, a miner, a ranger, a cheesemaker and a beekeeper. I'm not sure where everyone's going to sleep seeing as we've only just started getting beds put in place.

26th Limestone.
A flock of vultures is trying to steal our food, but between the caravan guards, our soldiers and our dogs they're being kept away. We started putting tables and chairs up to make a makeshift dining room to tide us over until we can get a proper hall built for it. The miners and masons are taking a long time getting things built I must say, we haven't even got a single hall finished yet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 06:39:43 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 06:49:19 pm »

My laptop has broken so I won't be updating this for about a week while it gets a new fan installed.  :(
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8