Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Abbey of Sands - Community Fort  (Read 10962 times)

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Abbey of Sands - Community Fort
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 09:21:37 pm »

real shame it's gonna have to be delayed  :(

when you do get your laptop up and running, could you post the personalities/descriptions of your two soldiers? I guess I'd like to be ham'd (terrible new word for being dorfed as a human) as one
no one could have anticipated this

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 02:53:21 pm »

I'm back and will have an update up sometime soon. I'll also post up the soldiers descriptions.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 06:48:48 pm »

First off the soldiers:

Recruit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The commander:

They use bronze halberds and wear full bronze armour made by monitor's character.

11th Timber
The roof got finished over the dorms we're sleeping in for now, though there're still only two walls finished, I'm not certain quite how this building doesn't collapse, though the floor does seem a bit wobbly near the stairs. I wish the masons would keep working on it, but Kindabossy has them making a room to keep our food in so the vultures will stop harassing us.

28th Opal
Not much has been happening here, the food store is coming along, with nearly all of it's walls done, and I can see the spire of rock above the cave becoming narrower and more regular as the miners carve it away. I wonder what we'll use it for.

29th Opal
Another vulture flock has been harrowing masons as they try to build a roof for the stockpile. Our dogs keep ripping the birds apart when they land to snatch food, why don't they just leave?

18th Granite
Wow this has gotten dusty, I really have not had anything to write about have I journal? The stockpile's roof is nearly done, and one of the smiths working under Dragon has been told to make silver furniture. He made a lovely pair of doors for the main hall and has been forging tables to match. The doors were put in place earlier today. We may not have four walls, but at least we have doors journal.

17th Felsite
The food store is finished. Good thing too, I was getting sick and tired of picking vulture giblets out from my meals. The miners finished carving out the shape of the tower today as well. I've started thinking of it as 'The Rock'. I think I'll tell Asa that would be a good name for it.

18th Felsite
I just heard from one of the farmers that they spotted some elves approaching with pack animals. I've never seen an elf before, I wonder what they're like.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 04:15:53 am »

If you're able, stick a chair up on on the tip of "the rock" and name it "The Sentinel's Peer"  (An early warning for any intruders or beasties that try to sneak up - if the person in the chair has a mirror or a lantern, they can signal in blinks to the others down below.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 12:48:30 pm »

Chairs can't be put outdoors I think. I was planning on using the Rock as a prison/barracks/armoury later on. My long term architectural scheme for this place is to make a walled settlement with the abbey at it's center. At the moment I'm making one cloister (not sure if that's the right word) of the abbey to serve as a communal domicile/dining area while I work on getting a better set up done for the citizens.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 02:33:17 pm »

Have you looked at how RL monasteries are set up?  That might give you an idea for how to go about building this one.  (I mean, you probably already have an idea, but I found it very enlightening.)
http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/medieval-monastery-town-to-be-built-in-southern-germany-a-822375.html
"Blueprints"
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:42:47 pm by Timeless Bob »

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 02:58:07 pm »

Now that is useful, I had some vague ideas for what to build but I hadn't gotten around to consulting a real one plan yet. I was mostly thinking of it in terms of cathedrals I've visited rather than a proper abbey I guess.

It'll require quite a bit of tweaking but I can see the basic layout of that monastery being useful. I'll spend some time getting things planned out and then get to work on a proper perimeter wall and start town planning.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 04:00:17 pm »

I'm glad if it helps.

Dwarfopoly
Bloodlines of the Forii

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »

I'd like a human, Christopher Walken (surname Walken)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 07:34:42 pm »

I'd like a human, Christopher Walken (surname Walken)

Any career preferences?
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 07:48:34 pm »

Axe Man using a Great Axe, woodcutter on his spare time between training

PlayingGood

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok's laugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 12:39:54 am »

Journal of Muad'Dib, it is covered in red dust and has crispy look to it, as if it was baked in the sun for ages.

Year 179, the arrival

Today they found a giant worm corpse... This worries me.

...much unreadable writing follows, until the next page...

It seems we are serious about setting up residency here, well i wanted an adventure, here i've got it. They keep probing this giant cavern, personally i'd rather be out in the open.

I've decided not consider death a threat anymore, if i die, then i've lived my life to way i wanted to.

Komodo Dragon and i are becoming friends, he is a great smith, and also has quite a temper.

We have spotted traders coming in, let us rejoice in that.

OOC:

Is the ranger still available? Is so please human me as Muad'Dib.

Loving this idea for a fort, never seen a above ground one yet, this will be fun.
*Create potion of immortality*
*Potion Created! Drink potion*
*Immortality gained!*
*You have lost your soul!*

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2014, 05:59:47 pm »

Nice to see an update! I'd like to ham'd (yes, I'm going to actually force this) as Anthath, the recruit, if possible.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:05:21 pm by Mr.Mountain »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 08:26:10 am »

Axe Man using a Great Axe, woodcutter on his spare time between training

This request may take a while, I have just one woodcutter and that's Asa Kindabossy, also only have two soldiers, both using halberds. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but for some reason I'm getting no migrants. I'm getting caravans but not migrants.  :-\

EDIT: I really hope I've not pulled a Bridgedstreams again.
The elves are here, I spent a while talking to them about their trip here. The roads are quite dangerous but they made it here with no guards. Sadly they've wasted the trip as we have nothing to trade with them.

5th Hematite
Dear gods... Asa went and spoke to the elves and ask if they could part with any supplies, she came back looking frustrated. And then she told the soldiers to kill them! They slashed them and their horses apart with their halberds. It was horrible.

27th Hematite
We haven't gotten any migrants to help us out in a while. I hope some arrive soon.

10th Galena
With the hall nearly done we've started work on a proper foundry to smelt our ores and craft our items.

Foundry In progress:

12th Galena
A pack of Beakwolves attacked us. Our soldiers managed to drive them off but one of our soldiers, the recruit Mr. Mountain, was badly mauled by a lion that one was riding. Or at least they said one was riding a lion. I'm not sure if I believe them.

18th Galena
A caravan has arrived from home to trade with us just like last year. It's nice to see the king hasn't forgotten us.

24th Galena
A goblin warband ambushed the caravan on it's way to the depot. They killed a caravan guard and the kings liason, but were driven off.

17th Limstone
One of our number has given birth to a little boy. Ikim Konlicuthu is the proud new mother. She hasn't decided on a name for the little tyke yet.

22nd Limestone
We still haven't gotten any new arrivals. I'm starting to worry that the roads are too dangerous for them to come.

25th Limestone
Today I helped one of the masons put together a craftshop so that Muad'Dib, the hunter who arrived a while back, can make himself some more arrows to use with the bow he got from the elves.

14th Timber
A caravan has been spotted. I haven't seen it myself yet, I've been too busy moving supplies to the foundry, but apparently it's a group of dwarves. I've never seen one of the half-men up close before. I wonder what they're like.

21st Timber
Another goblin band is trying to attack us! One of them snuck into the hall and tried to snatch Ikim's baby! Luckily it got caught before it could do so, but it was a close thing.

23rd Timber
This is a sad day journal. The goblin band was driven off by the dwarves. But a pair of them got to Broke Gamer as he tried to return to the hall when the warning was sounded. They beat him to death with whips. We're digging a space under the hall to bury him. Back home I'd never seen someone who'd died violently, now I've seen several. I think I need a drink.

16th Moonstone
Something to be glad about journal, we've gotten the foundry finished. Nice strong walls, and piles of materials to work with. Dragon's bound to like this place.

Foundry finished:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 11:04:53 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Mr.Mountain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 01:17:56 pm »

First combat scenario and I'm maimed, why did I expect better from myself? am I just recovering in bed? if so, could you post the severity of the injuries? I hate to ask so many questions, so just lmk if it's not possible  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8