Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Trader of Favors (SG)  (Read 28479 times)

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
Re: Trader of Favors (SG)
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2014, 11:20:06 pm »

Crack open the panel and look.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:35 am »

Trader of Favors, a Pactbinder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The panel sticks for only a moment, but once you've shifted it aside you find that it leads into a sort of roomy wardrobe. A few robes and piles of linen stacked neatly, though it seems moths got to both at some point. There is more than enough space for you to move into the closet, open it, and move outside, all of which you do.
You find yourself in a remarkably dusty bedroom, suffering from age and disrepair. This was clearly the room of someone wealthy, with an expansive bed and various furniture of high craftsmanship. There are various wardrobes and drawers, you suspect filled in large part with moth-riddled clothes, though there is also a small bookshelf, and a chest next to the bed. There is only one door out of the room, it seems solid enough, and is currently closed. Sunlight streams in from a nearby window.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2014, 12:08:12 am »

Look for enough usable (doesn't have to be perfect) cloth to construct a crude satchel or shoulder-bag or something. Go back for the books.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2014, 08:26:37 am »

Also see if that window is operable? If not try to find a small solid object and throw it as hard as possible into it.

Well need the extra light for bools ;D

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2014, 03:42:30 pm »

Look for enough usable (doesn't have to be perfect) cloth to construct a crude satchel or shoulder-bag or something. Go back for the books.
+1

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2014, 04:32:04 pm »

Also see if that window is operable?
+1 Also see what's outside.

...try to find a small solid object and throw it as hard as possible into it.
-1 Too much noice, and there was someone close enough for us to hear from inside the closet.

Listen to the mumbling, if it's coming from outside the room check any door leading out. Do not open said door(s). Go trough wardrobes and drawers for any loot clues to the owner or why anyone would come here now, do the same for desk below. Then what flabort suggested. Take any rare/valuable/usefull books you can cary. We may have to make quick escape in worst case. Remember to close that hidden panel behind us.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2014, 04:52:51 pm »

Also see if that window is operable?
+1 Also see what's outside.

...try to find a small solid object and throw it as hard as possible into it.
-1 Too much noice, and there was someone close enough for us to hear from inside the closet.

Listen to the mumbling, if it's coming from outside the room check any door leading out. Do not open said door(s). Go trough wardrobes and drawers for any loot clues to the owner or why anyone would come here now, do the same for desk below. Then what flabort suggested. Take any rare/valuable/usefull books you can cary. We may have to make quick escape in worst case. Remember to close that hidden panel behind us.

+1 to the above because i forgot that someone else might be here  :-[

thank you for the catch :D

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2014, 05:53:39 pm »

Are we still visibly scorched and scarred?
If so wait for the breathing to slow - they eventually all go to sleep.
Otherwise discern their language by reading their books and continue listening to imitate them later on.

basically:
 expecting a bad reaction - kill them in their sleep.
 expecting neutral reaction - try to communicate.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 05:55:50 pm by hachnslay »
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2014, 01:19:14 am »

Are we still visibly scorched and scarred?

My Skin is pulled taut over my bones, and the surface of my skin is indeed scarred and burned. If i don't show too much of my skin i might look like an old man with a very bad case of sunburn.

(edit)
Though... if i use a bit of my suffering i might be able to repair my body a little. Or allay my weakness. It's also possible i might be able to go back for some of the suffering that scattered earlier. It would take time to pull out of the air and leech from the stone however.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:22:01 am by Mlamlah »

Adventuring Vagabond

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2014, 05:18:23 am »

Wait until dark so they don't see our charred skin.In the meantime collect sufferings from every place we know.
Quote from: Xantalos
Quote from: RangerCado
...This is what is going to kill bay12.
You know not what B12 has survived. Nevertheless, it'll still self destruct in a few days.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2014, 08:15:37 am »

Wait until dark so they don't see our charred skin.In the meantime collect sufferings from every place we know.

+1

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2014, 10:51:06 am »

Sounds good.

I actually also am in favour of spending a bit of it to heal - for good reason thou. We will see how "well" we handle suffering now, as we should have quite the decreased handling-skill in comparison to what we are accustomed too. Wouldnt do us any good to find that out in a more.... "prone to lethal injury" enviroment or situation.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2014, 06:38:29 pm »

Trader of Favors, a Pactbinder.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Search 1d20=8
Retreating back into the closet you grab some of the linens within, you suppose they'll prove serviceable enough for a crude sack, though not a long lasting one. Back in the secret passageway you do what you can to tie them together. Untrained Craft 1D20-4 (no relevant skills)= 16 Natural Twenty
Considering the quality of the materials you have to work with, and your lack of tools, you make a rather fine bag. It has three seperate folds servicable as pockets, and a flap that may be tied off to ensure nothing falls out. A sturdy strap holds it on your back, leaving your hands free. It's constructed of multiple layers of cloth, so that any tears that may develop will not neccecarilly be immediately disastrous.
"It seems i have talent for this sort of work, who would have thought?"

You set your mind upon two tasks, gathering what books of value you may from the secret library below, and in gathering some of the suffering currently wasted on a forgotten hallway.
Mercantilism 1D20+5=22
The first task is childs play for you, you take the most valuable of books. "To Hold Grace" of course, is your first choice, but you also bring a few choice tomes on demons and the politics of hell, the books are rare, and there are conspicuous gaps in your knowledge of such matters. Three other tomes catch your eye, one bound in gold is in a tongue unfamiliar, but bears illustrations of bizarre and frightening creatures, some of which match the strange statues in the room with you. Another bound in what seems to be goblin skin, smells like home. The last, frustratingly, is bound in silver, but it bears runes that may imply magic.
The tomes you have already nearly fill your sack, and looking at the silver book is beginning to sting your eyes, so you move back to the staircase to see what you can gather.

Absorb Suffering 1d20+5(power broker)-4(not suffering metabolist)=11
You prepare for a task that you know will take at least an hour, maybe more, and scrounge what you can of the suffering scattered. You begin to eke much of it out, slowly but surely, and are confident that with time you can get nearly all of it. You are however, interupted.
A ghostly apparition materializes before you, looking particularly displeased. His form is that of a robed middle-aged man, bearing a pendant depicting some sort of shelled abomination, identical to the pendant of the dead man in the secret room below. Concentration 1D20 +5(power broker)-4(not suffering metabolist)=3
Tragically, the appearance of the spirit startles you so much that you cut off your magic entirely, further scattering much of the precious energy you had been trying so hard to collect. Any further attempts to retrieve the suffering will be that much more difficult, though you note that any mortal travelling through the stairway will be deeply unsettled until such a time as the energy decays.

The spirit however, is probably your primary concern for the moment. He doesn't look angry, but he does look annoyed. "Demon, you are taking my things and destroying my notes." He gestures a hand in the direction of the desk nearby, scattered with inkstained papers. "I would ask you to explain yourself."

« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 06:40:23 pm by Mlamlah »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2014, 07:10:26 pm »

Explain to him that, well, you're dead son!

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2014, 07:42:19 pm »

Explain to him that, well, you're dead son!

Right-o, ask if he really thinks that all his belongings will do him any good the way he is right now. Ghost these days...  ::)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15