Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind  (Read 52787 times)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2014, 04:15:59 pm »

That startled the shit out of me.

I've never managed to play Morrowind properly, like with no personality and a burning desire to gain power over the world. So I've only experienced like 5% of the content if even. I always just do a certain amount of the earlier quests and have never gotten much further. Any advice? The combat ties me down somewhat because of its difficulty, and having to organize my skilling to make sure I don't have shit attributes can be a pain.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2014, 09:22:07 pm »

I think this is the only elder scrolls game I never played. I had a really old PC when this came out and for a while after that and couldn't run it. Then oblivion came out so I skipped it. Why do people consider this the best game? I played all the other ones.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2014, 09:48:29 pm »

I wouldn't really bother too much about levelling efficiently. Morrowind isn't that difficult once you get over the beginning hump.

I like creating characters with major skills of swords, athletics, acrobatics, repair, heavy armour and block. Minor skills various magic (destruction, restoration, alteration), alchemy, enchant and whatever else.

The biggest issue early on for me is how often combat misses. Since your hit rate is tied into your skill with the weapon, your enemies defence as well as your fatigue to do well in combat you need to walk places, but that can take ages.

To reduce the skill list above even further, focusing on swords as a Dark Elf or some other race with a racial bonus, possibly even picking the Warrior star sign, will help with hitting a lot early on.
Later, with spell casters (the biggest threat I find is the Ash Slaves), learning to dodge their poison/lightning bolts since they fire where your going to be rather than straight at you until they run out of mana works well for me.

I tend to rely on items to boost my stats up rather than levelling. There are quite a few items that give hefty passive bonuses to stats. My favourite are the "Fists of Radagulf" and "Mentor's Ring". Both are easy enough to get while at low levels.

As for why I like Morrowind? It's the culture of the Dark Elves and the setting. Things look like another world with the Silt Striders, giant mushrooms, beetle shell bowls and ancestral tombs. You see Pelagiad and it looks pretty normal but Ald'ruhn is a town made from giant crab shells.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:07 pm »

Any advice?
You seem to be doing it right to me!

But then, I never got very far in Morrowind either. Well, not main storyline far. I dove for aaaaaaaaaaall the pearls.

I think this is the only elder scrolls game I never played. I had a really old PC when this came out and for a while after that and couldn't run it. Then oblivion came out so I skipped it. Why do people consider this the best game? I played all the other ones.
Mostly nostalgia, character, and flexibility, from what I've seen. A TON of it seems to be that it was awesome for its time and captured everyone's hearts and they never got over it. People loved the weird, intricate setting, with all of these bizarre plants, animals, landscapes, and so on. A lot of people complain about the stuff the later games took out (spell/alchemy/enchanting effects, skills, spellmaking, etc), though it can be hard to figure out what's genuine complaining, what's finding excuses to add to the pile, and what's noting with sadness but understanding why.

Also and somewhat more specifically, Oblivion got a ton of shit for not being Morrowind II, while Skyrim got a ton of shit for having a console UI. I've seen a ton more Oblivion hate than Skyrim hate, but nobody complained about the UI in Oblivion, whereas it's a fairly universal gripe for Skyrim.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 22, 2014, 11:22:50 pm »

There is something to be said for retaining some of the more complex mechanics. It can give the player more options and choices.

Take Daggerfall; you can give your character advantages and disadvantages like those present in Cataclysm. Things like "Takes damage in holy places" or "Forbidden Item Type: Axes" or "Regenerates health in Darkness". While these have a minor effect on gameplay they can help improve the narrative the player is developing for their character.

I had one character in Daggerfall with a custom class "Black Guard". They couldn't wear leather or chain armour, mana drained when outside during the day, health regeneration in the dark and was restricted from using iron and silver types. Advantages were higher critical strike, immune to disease, possibly absorb magicka.

The enchanting and alchemy systems in Morrowind are easily broken if you know how to but I do like having a system that you can exploit as it can be a good reward for reaching the top level. I have a mod for Skyrim that removes the item specific requirements for enchantments and I can make a suit of clothes that removes all the mana cost for conjuration. Battles involve me summoning endless waves of skeletons to wear any opponent down. That's pretty darn fun, it'll get boring eventually sure but then I can move on to something like endless waves of fireballs or another game until I feel like playing Skyrim again.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2014, 11:49:18 pm »

I do wish developers would maintain more of that P&P RPG feel. I like more stats, abilities, etc. I think the general gripe for the whole series' trend is "it's becoming dumbed-down"... and while I do have a lot of fun with skyrim, I'm beginning to feel the same way.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 23, 2014, 01:11:31 am »

is there a morrowind overhaul mod pack out? I know about nexus. just wondering if there is a big overhaul pack thats recommended to add to morrowind? game has been out a long time... I have modded skyrim exensively. its alot of work...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 23, 2014, 01:27:59 am »

There's the... I think it's called "Morrowind Graphics Extender". Adds some new effects like god rays, more detailed water and a far greater draw distance.

There's a mod called "Morrowind Rebirth" on ModDB that is currently being developed. Looks to be expanding towns, adding some new things and fixing small details like misaligned textures (Did anyone know the Chitin pauldrons had a missaligned texture on them?).

For new areas there's "Tamriel Rebuilt" which aims to add the rest of Morrowind. The goal was shrunk down from the entirety of Tamriel to just Morrowind a few years ago but even so the amount of work that's gone into it is phenomenal. Great for exploring but I believe it's still rather light on quests and dialogue.

I think the biggest issue with graphical overhauls is there's only so much more people can do. Morrowind is about 14 years old at this point and the engine itself is a large limiter with regards to bigger textures and so on.

I think there's also a mod that's remaking Morrowind in Skyrim's engine. Think it was halted at one point but I believe it's back now. I'm not sure how that's coming on.

Mention if you want a few gameplay mods. I remember some that I had running on my game ages ago.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 23, 2014, 01:43:54 am »

There is something to be said for retaining some of the more complex mechanics. It can give the player more options and choices.

Take Daggerfall; you can give your character advantages and disadvantages like those present in Cataclysm. Things like "Takes damage in holy places" or "Forbidden Item Type: Axes" or "Regenerates health in Darkness". While these have a minor effect on gameplay they can help improve the narrative the player is developing for their character.

I had one character in Daggerfall with a custom class "Black Guard". They couldn't wear leather or chain armour, mana drained when outside during the day, health regeneration in the dark and was restricted from using iron and silver types. Advantages were higher critical strike, immune to disease, possibly absorb magicka.

The enchanting and alchemy systems in Morrowind are easily broken if you know how to but I do like having a system that you can exploit as it can be a good reward for reaching the top level. I have a mod for Skyrim that removes the item specific requirements for enchantments and I can make a suit of clothes that removes all the mana cost for conjuration. Battles involve me summoning endless waves of skeletons to wear any opponent down. That's pretty darn fun, it'll get boring eventually sure but then I can move on to something like endless waves of fireballs or another game until I feel like playing Skyrim again.

Well, then there is the neutral group that likes 2 or all 3 of the games equally. I think all the games in ES series are fun (at least starting with Morrowind, there is of course older ones)

Morrowind I love just because straight out its a good game. No need to mod it, and if you do...you don't really need an overloaded mod list. The alien (but small) land. The main story is epic too from the bit I got into.

But what I like most about Morrowind is when you talk to NPCs, they actually have information for you (to read). And I don't need to mod out fast travel like I do with oblivion/skyrim because there is none (except striders).

Oblivion I like just because its straight up fun. I love the intro quest through the sewers (vastly better than skyrim), but most hated that *shrug*. The guild quests are epic, and outside of adding new lands and some quests and maybe a gameplay mod or two...don't need any mods at all (not for me anyway). When I play oblivion, its with 20, maybe 25 or 30 mods at most...and I just have a ton of fun. World is kinda cliche, but I still love it. It really feels like a friendly land, but filled with danger. Plus the music is epic. Huge negative is the blob characters. Not a big deal to me, I think its hilarious, especially if you like and find b-rate horror movies hilarious.

Skyrim, even though I like it as much as Morrowind/oblivion...I have to mod the hell out of it to be any fun. I can't play vanilla at all, its so lacking. Plus I have to get mods that actually give description of where quests are, cause I always turn off the lame quest markers (Skyrim nerfed quests SO much, huge fail here) and obviously turn off that fast travel. For skyrim to be any fun for me, I have to have 200-250 mods...but once that is done and working 100%...the game is a blast, and as much fun (if not more) than oblivion. I feel vanilla skyrim lacks a lot of what I liked about oblivion, but modded it becomes A LOT better. I like being able to join thalmor (with mods), kill douche ulfric and corrupt imperials and become high king.

A lot of the Skyrim mods (even though newer) are vastly more advanced than they are compared to any oblivion mod today. Some Skyrim mods are amazing. SkyAI, SkyTWEAKS, playable dragon, driveable ships, build own town, crap a ton of stuff (though vanilla does that anyway, but mods makes crafting even more realistic)...so many mods that are just so advanced compared to anything oblivion came out with.

Honestly, if I was forced to choose...and this is my personal experience.

Oblivion/Morrowind tied for a vanilla (or very close to it) experience. Both are very different games, and good for different reasons. Just because both are "Elder Scrolls", they are different and can be enjoyed for different reasons.

Skyrim goes dead last for vanilla (including close to it), but goes straight up to #1 if heavily modded

I know this is a Morrowind topic. But a lot of people always want opinions on the 3 games.

As for people curious, I play Skyrim most. But I enjoy oblivion/morrowind a lot.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2014, 01:50:22 am »

Skyrim requires about 30 mods to become even vaguely interesting and playable, Morrowind does not. Hence, I believe Morrowind is the better game. They do both have their upside. Thankfully, though Skyrim does require mods as almost a necessity, its modding scene is far better. Pros and cons, really.

Obvlivion?
Oblivion is... Meh.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 23, 2014, 02:46:27 am »

Rose tinted glasses

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 23, 2014, 02:52:16 am »

Possibly. To be honest, it took me a very long time to start liking Morrowind, but once it drew me in I absolutely loved it.
(Vanilla) Skyrim is still bad though.
The circle is complete.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 23, 2014, 04:01:34 am »

Going to just say that I love vanilla skyrim. Sure it has flaws but even if I use mods I hardly overhaul it. There's just so much content and it's easy to go and experience that content in fun ways. Morrowind is just such an immersive world with cool systems but it's a bit hard to experience stuff, I've never really hit a point where I could just go fucking around personally. I expected to hate Oblivion but it's pretty fun, I didn't play it a lot and never beat any of the main questlines, and once I got chameleon armor I became god, but it's definitely fun. Just terrible voice acting (even worse than skyrim) and terrible disgusting npc faces. And fucking omniscient guards god damn.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 23, 2014, 05:01:29 am »

Possibly. To be honest, it took me a very long time to start liking Morrowind, but once it drew me in I absolutely loved it.
(Vanilla) Skyrim is still bad though.

Yeah I guess it could be for me as well. But, it would be a bit weird as "rose tinted glasses" tends to mean I see things because it was the "1st" game I played.  But, I actually played Oblivion first, then went to Skyrim and THEN went to Morrowind. And I still like Morrowind (vanilla) more than Skyrim (vanilla).

Skyrim has superior mods though (compared to Oblivion) which like I said, gives it a rather huge bonus.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2014, 05:18:28 am »

Well, I may as well just lay out my opinions on all the TES games I've played. I'll start with Morrowind for now, and maybe tomorrow or later I'll lay out the other games.

Unless specifically mentioned, assume I'm comparing all the games without any mods.

Morrowind:

Pros:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cons:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 25